Any advice appreciated - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Any advice appreciated

I spoke to a local vet yesterday but I need to do my own research and I would like to get some input from forum members. I have a few questions.

I must get Shadow vaccinated for rabies, and I need to know the safest way to proceed. Titers are not acceptable apparently. Without the vaccine apparently the law states that at AC's discretion she could be euthanized rather then quarantined so I have no wiggle room here at all. I was banking on tittering.
Lepto vaccine was strongly recommended for the very simple reason that it is prevalent in the area and by the time it is diagnosed kidney damage is almost certain.
He recommended Advantix for fleas and ticks as it also helps with flies and mosquitoes apparently. Someone else recommended Bravecto. I know nothing about either so any input would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 12:27 PM

Is this for a puppy, or an adult? And what is the age? What are your concerns with regards to the vaccinations?
Thecowboysgirl likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GRCH Kuba Práce vom Haus Morrisson CGCA TKA BCAT SPOT TC BH IPO1
UCD GRCH Heska vom Haus Morrisson TC CGCA CGCU TKA NW2 BN CD IT BH
UKC CH N'Vee Me vom Haus Morrisson CGCA TKI SPOT TC
VP, UKC CH Czara vom Duttenhof CGCA TKN SPOT
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDHAUS View Post
Is this for a puppy, or an adult? And what is the age? What are your concerns with regards to the vaccinations?

Shadow is 8 years old and has a laundry list of health issues. She has not been vaccinated since she was 6 months old due to a nasty reaction, likely to the rabies and certainly caused by giving all at once.

She has never been on flea or tick prevention as it was not needed.

Last edited by Sabis mom; 11-16-2018 at 12:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 12:34 PM
Crowned Member

Advantix doesn't work anymore in some areas. I got a flea infestation in FL while using Advantix. When we moved here, I was finding engorged ticks regularly while applying Advantix every 3 weeks. Vectra 3d works a little better.

I hear Bravecto works well and I have a boarder who uses it and I have never found a living tick on her. I have found tiny dead ones, it appears to effectively kill them as soon as they bite. However, I also know that dog like mine had to be treated for Anaplasmosis so nothing is perfect.

I am using seresto collars...they aren't 100% either.

Do the vaccines separately...
Sabis mom likes this.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 12:40 PM
Crowned Member

I would do the rabies and lepto separate. Advantix works very well in my area. Used advantage now advantix for over 20 years and my mom had to no issues with it at all. It is also great keeping mosquitoes to help prevent heartworm. We have feral cats that I’m sure are flea infested and roam in the property and to s of wildlife - deer, fox wild turkeys that visit. Frontline stopped working for us so glad they came out with advantix - ask people who live your area it seems to be dependAnt upon certain regions which work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jenny720; 11-16-2018 at 12:49 PM.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 12:42 PM
Crowned Member

Separate the vaccinations. I do
Core vaccines : Distemper/parvo
Lepto - separately if needed in your area. This is the one most dogs will react to.
Rabies - separated by 2 weeks.

If Shadow had a lepto vaccine, that is probably the one that caused the reaction. It causes reactions in small dogs and in puppies.

post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 12:43 PM
Elite Member

I like Bravecto where I live. Advantix II did nothing, and Seresto collars didn't work for me either. I actually returned them for a refund. Vet recommended Simpartica, as it is supposed to kill the ticks faster? I haven't tried it yet. With this snow I hope the ticks are off to wherever they spend the winter.

If you need to give rabies, make sure the vet knows about the reaction, maybe pre-dose with Benedryl? (ask the vet).

Lepto, you can by at Tractor Supply and give yourself on your own schedule. That's what I do.

I give all vaccines except rabies myself. The rabies must be given "under supervision" of a vet. I go to a walk in clinice because it saves me at least $50, but if you are concerned about a reaction, then get it done at a vet, and stick around for a few hours, if you can, to make sure the adverse reaction can be dealt with if needed.

post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecowboysgirl View Post
Advantix doesn't work anymore in some areas. I got a flea infestation in FL while using Advantix. When we moved here, I was finding engorged ticks regularly while applying Advantix every 3 weeks. Vectra 3d works a little better.

I hear Bravecto works well and I have a boarder who uses it and I have never found a living tick on her. I have found tiny dead ones, it appears to effectively kill them as soon as they bite. However, I also know that dog like mine had to be treated for Anaplasmosis so nothing is perfect.

I am using seresto collars...they aren't 100% either.

Do the vaccines separately...
I like the idea of a collar for the very simple reason that if she has a reaction to it I can simply remove the collar, but I keep getting told they don't work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny720 View Post
I would do the rabies and lepto separate. Advantix works very well in my area. Used advantage now advantix for over 20 years and my mom had to no issues with it at all. It is also great keeping mosquitoes to help prevent heartworm.
We have no issues with heartworm here, and seemingly not really in most parts of Canada. However I have been warned that mosquitoes and black flies are brutal in this area so anything that deters them would be a bonus.

Any vaccines will definitely be given separately. I will never make that mistake again.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 12:47 PM

Specifically regarding the Rabies.... Are you using the same veterinarian that gave her the initial vaccination with the issue? If yes, I am sure this is documented - what is your vets take on the risk factors for her being vaccinated again? Were other vaccinations given at that time?

If it is not the same vet, do they have all of her records, so that they can properly evaluate her individual situation?

If there was a serious problem at the initial vaccination, I would hesitate to vaccinate again (depending on the severity of what happened), if it would cause risk to her life. That being said, Rabies is no joke... and accidents happen in places we never expect.

GRCH Kuba Práce vom Haus Morrisson CGCA TKA BCAT SPOT TC BH IPO1
UCD GRCH Heska vom Haus Morrisson TC CGCA CGCU TKA NW2 BN CD IT BH
UKC CH N'Vee Me vom Haus Morrisson CGCA TKI SPOT TC
VP, UKC CH Czara vom Duttenhof CGCA TKN SPOT
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 12:47 PM

I would ask more people about titers. It depends on who you talk to it appears. I have a guy that I run into all the time on our walks. He has a lab with a ton of medical issues. I told him to titer and stop vaxing. He said he called and the city won't accept titers. I thought they changed the laws recently, so I called in and talked to someone else. They said, no problem!

Mine had an allergic reaction like yours from her booster shot. I really wanted to titer first, but the vet kept pushing until I gave in. I titered her a few weeks later and she was fully covered, so I didn't have to do her next booster. I never went back to that vet.

From the reading I have done, and the experience I have had over the years just doing titers, antibodies don't just go away. I have never had a titer come back low. They have always been well above what was needed to protect the animal.

If yours is already having problems, I would fight it until I found a solution.
GSDHAUS likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page