Any advice appreciated - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 10:12 AM
Elite Member

Since you will be giving the Rabies vax, request one that doesn't contain mercury or aluminum as/or in the adjuvant. I was on the fence about posting this link but it does have a lot of info and the references at the end can also be checked for more info. Page three talks about adjuvants mercury and aluminum. It s just one case study but the source is good and it is a recent documented one. I was on the fence because the dogs reaction was severe but the info is good. Your vet should be able to provide the specific Rabies vax prior to the appt so you can verify with your own research.

https://scientificliterature.org/Vac...nes-17-111.pdf

Also, If you can get documentation concerning Shadow's adverse event along with the vets note, I would get it and have it on hand even though you are going to vaccinate. It may prove to be of value at some point, also, I would opt for the three yr vax. From what I have read, there is no efficacy difference between the 1yr and 3yr. It is just the manufacturers choice of instruction and labeling.
[email protected] likes this.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 10:20 AM
Crowned Member

Some vet clinics may also want a dog with history of vax reaction to be dropped off for vax and stay for while after the injection, in case there's any adverse response. They sometimes even administer Benadryl before the vax to tamp down the allergic response.
Quinnsmom likes this.
post #33 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
Hm. Does Canada allow distribution of pure cedar EO? If so, I guess you could just mix up a spray bottle diluting that plus whatever other EOs you want.

One tip: I would avoid The Honest Company's EO-based repellent though, if that happens to be available--it doesn't work worth a hoot. I tried a can of it thinking it would likely be similar to Wondercide. It smells lovely, but the mosquitoes weren't bothered by it all.
I know I can buy essential oils here, I was debating the whole cedar oil thing already. Any clue what the dilution needs to be? I also will be growing lavender so I may experiment with that down the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 11:30 AM
Crowned Member

Dilution on cedar oil? 100%. As in just don't.

Living among juniper myself, I would not use cedar oil on a dog. I wish I could remember the citation where I came across that cedar chips put in dog beds were a really rotten idea because dogs are pretty sensitive to cedar (juniper is a cedar. it is very "odorific" it is very resin loaded it is highly flamable.) I just pulled out my clove of garlic - not as a flea/tick repellent but to ward off the idea of cedar.

In Arkansas I did mix up some essential oils to use on a pound dog before I took him home. He had been covered with fleas. The oils took care of it. Pretty sure I got the recipe from WDJ.
Sabis mom likes this.
post #35 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 10:45 AM

Shots and insect repellent separate, followed by good liver and kidney cleanse. Do the rabies because you kinda got to if taking her places and the obvious reason. Lepto, read up on that first. I'll never give it again, my poor old boys nose as dripped since i gave it and honestly unless you know what strain she might come into contact with it's useless.

I myself am looking for a new udea for biting insect control on my dogs. Right now i use advantix but it seems to make my older dog kinda sick. I've tried the collars but they left a huge welp on my little poodle so i won't do that anymore.

Hope you get the answers you are looking for!
[email protected] likes this.
post #36 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 10:52 AM

My $0.02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis mom View Post
(The vet) recommended Advantix for fleas and ticks as it also helps with flies and mosquitoes apparently. Someone else recommended Bravecto. I know nothing about either so any input would be appreciated.
I had Boon on Nexguard for fleas and ticks pretty early. Seemed to be working since we had no problems with either in the house.

Well.

That was in late WINTER. Come spring, OMG THE TICKS! I had them on me all the time. Still got spots from tick bites. Husband got Lyme (was treated quickly though.) Dog walker we knew recommended a Seresto collar, and that was what kept the ticks off. Given the latest info about ingestable flea/tick meds and neurological problems I feel better going with the collar.

Having said that, I don't quibble over rabies vaccines (mercury issues, I know) because of all the possums and raccoons and foxes around here. Worse (as you brought up) AC could choose to euthanize my dog if there was doubt about his vaccinations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page