Any advice appreciated - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 02:28 PM
Master Member

Ask your vet if the 1-year vaccine for rabies is still available. My daughter used it on her dog and cats for several years because it did not contain thimerosol as a preservative. That may not be the case now but it is worth an ask. There may also be protocols to follow before vaccination, as Mary Beth said, to minimize reactions.
As far as tick and mosquito protection, I would take Advantix over Bravecto. It has a longer track record, lasts only one month and is topical so can be washed off if there is a reaction. Once Bravecto is ingested it is on board for 3 months. As Jenny 720 said, there is an additional FDA warning out about Bravecto and other drugs in that class. You will need some kind of fly repellant come spring and summer as the black flies and deer flies in your new location are vicious and can take chunks right out of unprotected skin. Maybe some of the local dog owners can give you tips on what helps.
Sabis mom likes this.

Please don't litter. Neuter your pets!

Quinn, Mar. 8/07 - Dec. 13/18, my best boy
Shadow, 1995-2007, always in my heart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thank you all for the info. The rabies vaccine is not negotiable nor will I play with it since the go to in this area is to euthanize any dog immediately that is questionable. I am highly protective of my dogs and the chances of Shadow getting away from me are really slim but crap happens and I can't take that chance.
So next week will be rabies and then sometime before spring Lepto.
I had debated a flea/tick collar, thinking that if there was a reaction it is quick and easy to take a collar off. The reviews are pretty poor though. I guess we will go with the Advantix, but not worried about that just yet.
I used to use a product on the horses called FlyX that was awesome for fly and mosquito control but I can't find any info on if it's safe for dogs or even still available.
Quinnsmom and Jax08 like this.
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 03:16 PM
Crowned Member

One last thing. Ontario Regulation 567/90 also allows a legal waiver for the rabies vaccination. It states ďThe owner or person having the care and custody of an animal that is in or has a physical condition that precludes the safe immunization or re-immunization of the animal against rabies is exempt from the requirement of this Regulation where (a) a statement of exemption is issued by a veterinarian with respect to the animal that sets out the reason why the animal cannot be immunized or re-immunized; and (b) the animal is controlled in such a manner as to preclude its being exposed to rabies.Ē

^^^
Rabies Law in Ontario | SIRIUS DOG

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/pro/p...ol_2018_en.pdf
Risk assessment

5) The board of health shall conduct a risk assessment on all individuals with potential rabies exposures to determine the required actions. A recommendation regarding the need for PEP, based on the outcome of the risk assessment, shall be communicated to the attending healthcare provider. The attending healthcare provider ultimately decides whether PEP will be administered. The risk assessment shall include consideration of: a) Type of exposure (i.e., bite, non-bite, bat);

b) The anatomical location of the exposure;

c) The risk of rabies in the animal species involved;

Rabies Prevention and Control Protocol, 2018

d) The presence of rabies in the area where the incident occurred;

e) Risk of rabies exposure in the implicated animal (travel history, exposure to wildlife/other domestic animals of unknown rabies status, etc.)

f) The behaviour and health status of the implicated animal;

g) Exposure circumstances (i.e., provoked or unprovoked exposure); and

h) Rabies immunization status of the animalor the animalís mother, if the animal is a puppy or kitten younger than three months of age.

6) In situations where the risk assessment leads to a recommendation for the administration of PEP, and the healthcare provider has decided to administer PEP, the following additional information shall also be collected from the exposed individual in order to inform appropriate PEP dose and schedule recommendations: a) Residency status in Ontario;

b) Weight;

c) Rabies immunization status, including date of last immunization, type of vaccine used (human diploid vaccine, purified chick embryo cell vaccine, or other), information on compliance with vaccine administration schedules, and/or any rabies antibody titre levels available; and

d) Immunocompetency - Refer to Part 3 of the Canadian Immunization Guide for an overview of which individuals are considered immunocompromised.6

https://www.ovma.org/assets/1/6/OVMA...Public_QA1.pdf

Q2: Does my pet have to be vaccinated against rabies?

A: Yes. Dogs and cats over 3 months of age must have either a current Certificate of Vaccination or a current Statement of Exemption issued by a veterinarian for that animal. Unvaccinated animals are a risk to human health, and owners of unvaccinated animals can be subject to fines of over $90 per animal

Quinnsmom and Sabis mom like this.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Bats and racoons are the big offenders in this area, even leashed/fenced she could be exposed. The exemption protects me from a fine, but does not protect her if she is ever picked up or involved in a reported altercation.
Quinnsmom likes this.
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 04:36 PM
Crowned Member

For repelling mosquitoes and flies, it might be worth trying the Wondercide cedar-oil based dog spray to see how it works. I really like the smell of it -- esp. the lemongrass one. Before you invest in a big bottle, you might order one of their $10 sampler packs of different scents. The downside of it is it doesn't last, so you have to reapply every time the dog goes out. It's effective, but probably not 100% -- it likely will keep you and her both more comfortable though.

My dad has had great luck with Bayer's Seresto collar. He's in his 90s and too old to fool with topicals, so the collar is very convenient because it's so long lasting.

For RX meds, I like NexGard very much for flea and tick control. Whenever the rescue pulls a tick-covered dog out of a shelter, our vet doses the dog with a NexGard because it's so effective on ticks. It's chew that they eat for monthly protection -- pricey, but it works. Bravecto is a better deal because you get three months of protection out of each one.

Rabies boosters for seniors is SUCH a hard call. My vet and I went back and forth on this with my last oldster in his later years, and he was supportive of either decision -- warning me of the local consequences for not doing it, but sympathetic to feeling like enough is enough at that age. It probably depends on the dog -- does it interact with people regularly? It's not really the bites that scare me, as my dogs don't bite people, but the turning the head quickly with an open mouth and accidentally dragging a tooth over an arm they didn't know was there, or accidentally scratching someone when batting them with a paw asking for a head rub or ball throw. The stupid accidental stuff counts too, unfortunately.
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 06:05 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
For repelling mosquitoes and flies, it might be worth trying the Wondercide cedar-oil based dog spray to see how it works. I really like the smell of it -- esp. the lemongrass one. Before you invest in a big bottle, you might order one of their $10 sampler packs of different scents. The downside of it is it doesn't last, so you have to reapply every time the dog goes out. It's effective, but probably not 100% -- it likely will keep you and her both more comfortable though.

It's not really the bites that scare me, as my dogs don't bite people, but the turning the head quickly with an open mouth and accidentally dragging a tooth over an arm they didn't know was there, or accidentally scratching someone when batting them with a paw asking for a head rub or ball throw. The stupid accidental stuff counts too, unfortunately.

Wondercide and other similar companies are not allowed in Canada (dumb), In 2013 I was able to order, by 2016. Nope. Just checked this week and is still on their no shipment list

While the states have some very stringent laws and fears...here, not so much....remember when G and I were attacked pit bull thread (masquerading as Dogo...)...Public health examined dog from comfort of his vehicle, they couldn't produce vaccine records so went and got dog rabies shot....Good Enough!

Even says in the links I provided, if dog meets criteria of what is considered allowed (by a vet) then, the worst that can happen really is at home quarantine for 10-14 days...unless never vx then up to 6 months...
Quinnsmom likes this.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBytes View Post
Even says in the links I provided, if dog meets criteria of what is considered allowed (by a vet) then, the worst that can happen really is at home quarantine for 10-14 days...unless never vx then up to 6 months...
Right. Dependant on recommendations. Around here I was forewarned, they will shot first ask questions later. So vax it is.
I would have preferred not but I won't play with it.
Not to mention that bats and raccoons get into everywhere, so the risk is high. And on a property? Out in the woods her risk goes up significantly. In Alberta with no documented cases in over 30 years it was a no brainer. No vax. Here with 149 cases in 2017, knowing she will be on a property with exposure to uncontrolled wildlife, she gets vaccinated. (Incidentally almost all near your area.)
It is in part to protect my dog and in part to aid in the control of a deadly virus that is capable of cross-species transmission.
Quinnsmom, Jax08 and tim_s_adams like this.
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 07:33 PM
Master Member

Not sure that the Seresto collar is available in Canada either. I can't find a Canadian retailer after a bit of googling. A friend says her relatives in Florida swear by it for fleas and ticks there but she has never been able to source it in Canada. Contacting Bayer would be the way to go.

Please don't litter. Neuter your pets!

Quinn, Mar. 8/07 - Dec. 13/18, my best boy
Shadow, 1995-2007, always in my heart
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 09:40 AM

Iíve found the pills to be the only thing that really works for fleas, such as Comfortis or Trifexis. However the way it works is it essentially poisons the dogs blood, so that whenever a flea or tick bites it instantly kills them. Itís good for a month so it will wipe out the entire cycle. That being said I only give it when they actually have fleas.

Iíve tried everything else from collars, sprays, dips, powders, topicals, you name it.
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 09:55 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBytes View Post
Wondercide and other similar companies are not allowed in Canada (dumb), In 2013 I was able to order, by 2016. Nope. Just checked this week and is still on their no shipment list.

Hm. Does Canada allow distribution of pure cedar EO? If so, I guess you could just mix up a spray bottle diluting that plus whatever other EOs you want.

One tip: I would avoid The Honest Company's EO-based repellent though, if that happens to be available--it doesn't work worth a hoot. I tried a can of it thinking it would likely be similar to Wondercide. It smells lovely, but the mosquitoes weren't bothered by it all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page