23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Separate the vaccinations. I do
Core vaccines : Distemper/parvo
Lepto - separately if needed in your area. This is the one most dogs will react to.
Rabies - separated by 2 weeks.

If Shadow had a lepto vaccine, that is probably the one that caused the reaction. It causes reactions in small dogs and in puppies.
Interesting.

I was told that her reaction was almost certainly caused by the rabies. We went through several weeks/months of her growling and snapping at shadows, lunging at things that weren't there, inability to visually identify objects, fear of lights/reflections. At one point we thought she was going blind. The reaction seems to have started on a small scale with the second puppy vacs but blew up following her rabies/6 month puppy shot. No one ever mentioned the lepto vaccine as suspect.

Last edited by Sabis mom; 11-16-2018 at 12:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 01:07 PM
Crowned Member

Who told you that it was the rabies? Or that it was vaccine related vs genetic nerviness?

Lepto has a high rate of reactions. My vet will not give it to small dogs or puppies. The reaction is typically anaphylactic shock.
Sabis mom likes this.

post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 01:11 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom Billet View Post
I would ask more people about titers. It depends on who you talk to it appears. I have a guy that I run into all the time on our walks. He has a lab with a ton of medical issues. I told him to titer and stop vaxing. He said he called and the city won't accept titers. I thought they changed the laws recently, so I called in and talked to someone else. They said, no problem!

Mine had an allergic reaction like yours from her booster shot. I really wanted to titer first, but the vet kept pushing until I gave in. I titered her a few weeks later and she was fully covered, so I didn't have to do her next booster. I never went back to that vet.

From the reading I have done, and the experience I have had over the years just doing titers, antibodies don't just go away. I have never had a titer come back low. They have always been well above what was needed to protect the animal.

If yours is already having problems, I would fight it until I found a solution.

Titers DO come back low or no coverage. My older dog came back with zero for distemper/parvo, and this is after being vaccinated regularly most of her life. I did titer and not vax for a few years when she was young. So I know she's not one who just doesn't get coverage from vaccines. Then she was vaccinated regularly for like 8 or 9 years and I titered her last year thinking no way she would need anything but she had nothing for distemper/parvo.

My 3 1/2 year old dog I titered last year and his coverage was good for distemper parvo. This year Parvo good but distemper low, right on the line of re-vaccinate.

And these titers have been sent out to more than one place so I know it's not just one lab. Hers went to hemopet and his went to Cornell I think, but i'm not positive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 01:14 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecowboysgirl View Post
Titers DO come back low or no coverage. My older dog came back with zero for distemper/parvo, and this is after being vaccinated regularly most of her life. I did titer and not vax for a few years when she was young. So I know she's not one who just doesn't get coverage from vaccines. Then she was vaccinated regularly for like 8 or 9 years and I titered her last year thinking no way she would need anything but she had nothing for distemper/parvo.

My 3 1/2 year old dog I titered last year and his coverage was good for distemper parvo. This year Parvo good but distemper low, right on the line of re-vaccinate.

And these titers have been sent out to more than one place so I know it's not just one lab. Hers went to hemopet and his went to Cornell I think, but i'm not positive.

I have read of dogs that can not produce immunity to rabies. It's a genetic thing. I wish I could remember where I read that. Seger had nothing for Parvo when I titered at 1 year. I kept thinking it was distemper that happened with but I checked the paperwork last week. Parvo....and I hauled him all over the country side training with zero immunity for Parvo.

post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Who told you that it was the rabies? Or that it was vaccine related vs genetic nerviness?

Lepto has a high rate of reactions. My vet will not give it to small dogs or puppies. The reaction is typically anaphylactic shock.
She was treated by a holistic vet following the onset of symptoms. At 6 weeks old Shadow was a totally normal puppy, conquer the world take no prisoners attitude. Following her last vacs we saw a change with about a day. We know she had some fear issues, but the change was sudden and dramatic. Within days she was nearly unmanageable and air snapping at a shadow on the wall goes beyond genetic nerviness.

An extremely small percentage of dogs have been known to display symptoms like this following rabies vacs. The suspicion I believe was bad vaccines, and it is not something anyone is ever warned about. I had to really dig to find any info that was credible.
Jax08 likes this.
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 01:24 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
I have read of dogs that can not produce immunity to rabies. It's a genetic thing. I wish I could remember where I read that. Seger had nothing for Parvo when I titered at 1 year. I kept thinking it was distemper that happened with but I checked the paperwork last week. Parvo....and I hauled him all over the country side training with zero immunity for Parvo.
I've never titered for rabies. I just don't mess around with that one. I do whatever the law says I should do, because I need it for dog licenses and running a dog business I am no risking my dogs not following the rules.

But if dogs couldn't produce immunity to rabies then the vaccine would not work, and obviously it does?
Sabis mom likes this.
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 04:30 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecowboysgirl View Post

But if dogs couldn't produce immunity to rabies then the vaccine would not work, and obviously it does?
No. It doesn't work. The dog can not produce an immunity to rabies no matter how many times it's vaccinated.

Imagine that, dogs that are not immune to rabies but can't produce an immunity thru vaccination. That's like the canine version of the Walking Dead.
GSDHAUS likes this.

post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 05:13 PM
Crowned Member

Since Baron had a mild reaction (just fatigue and muscle soreness) when he was a puppy and he got his rabies vaccine, this year before it was time for his vaccines, I did research any preventive measures. I did give him the homeopathic remedy Lyssinum 30C as discussed here: https://www.elixirs.com/products.cfm?productcode=S94W. I also give him one for the DAPP/parvo https://www.elixirs.com/products.cfm?productcode=P2. He had no reactions this time. So that maybe something you may want to consider. Homeopathic remedies have no side affects, so it can't hurt to try it.
Sabis mom likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 10:04 AM
Crowned Member

I had just come across this article on fb
http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/fda...h-isoxazolines

post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 12:37 PM
Elite Member

The risk with titers for rabies is that this is a human health disease, and is always deadly, and unlike distemper or parvo is regulated very strongly by some powerful agencies. I don't know the rules in Canada, but unless I had some sort of signed document stating titers are acceptable, from an official individual, I would not take any chances. Catastrophe is very possible, through no fault of the dog or human.
Sabis mom likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page