FDA Alert About Flea/Tick Products & Effects - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

FDA Alert About Flea/Tick Products & Effects

Animal Drug Safety Communication: FDA Alerts Pet Owners and Veterinarians About Potential for Neurologic Adverse Events Associated with Certain Flea and Tick Products 9/20/18 https://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary.../ucm620934.htm

Condensed info per TAPF
What should I know?
  • The FDA considers products in the isoxazoline class to be safe and effective for dogs and cats but is providing this information so that pet owners and veterinarians can take it into consideration when choosing flea and tick products for their pets.
  • Isoxazoline products have been associated with neurologic adverse reactions, including muscle tremors, ataxia, and seizures in some dogs and cats;
  • Although most dogs and cats havenít had neurologic adverse reactions, seizures may occur in animals without a prior history;
  • Many products are available for prevention and control of flea and tick infestations. You can discuss all options with your veterinarian to choose the right product for your pet.

What products are in the isoxazoline class?
  • The FDA-approved drugs in this class are
    • Bravecto
    • Credelio
    • Nexgard
    • Simparica
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 01:44 PM

NOT happy to see this
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 01:49 PM

I remember seeing reviews online and hearing from people about issues like this. I'm glad the FDA is putting out an alert...at least they are acknowledging there is an issue for some animals. I have hesitated to use Bravecto and similar products because of what I was hearing. Seresto collar works well for us here so I will stick with that for now.

+ Kalbi CGC 6/21/2015
+ Blackthorn's Out of the Frying Pan NW1 ORT SEN SCN BCAT SIN RATN TKN (Katsu) 9/12/2017
+ Blackthorn's Skofnung CGC TKN RATI RATO (Steel) 07/23/2018
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 03:55 PM
Master Member

Our vet actually prescribed Nexgard and we've been using it.
I will ask her to see what she thinks!

The Seresto collars...
I was hesitating because Rumo has an incredibly thick neck ruff (more husky-thickness than GSD thickness - he actually has layers of fur that hang from his neck) so I was wondering if enough of the chemical would penetrate to be effective...

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 09:45 PM
Elite Member

Thanks Moms, I was reluctant to give Nexguard per my 'holistic' vet but did for a few months. Fortunately wondercide has been working.

I like the Seresto collars but they make my pup itch her neck.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 09:57 PM
Crowned Member

My vet office tried to sell me Simparica. I declined. Not a fan of ingestables. Frontline works fine for my two.
car2ner likes this.

Jan
Shelby 9-2-14
Natty Boh 6-27-12
Annie 1998 - 8-2-12 RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 10:06 PM
Crowned Member

This part of the warning is pretty important:

"The FDA carefully reviewed studies and other data on Bravecto, Credelio, Nexgard and Simparica prior to approval, and these products continue to be safe and effective for the majority of animals. The agency is asking the manufacturers to make the changes to the product labeling in order to provide veterinarians and pet owners with the information they need to make treatment decisions for each pet on an individual basis. Veterinarians should use their specialized training to review their patients’ medical histories and determine, in consultation with pet owners, whether a product in the isoxazoline class is appropriate for the pet."
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 01:49 AM
Master Member

Oh dear. My boy been with Bravecto for 2 months now, got it from the vet. About to have some more next month... I should talk to the vet...
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 08:30 AM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

All of these products tell you not to use on animals with a history of seizures. It's well known, at least to vets and staff, at least it should be.

That said, I have used Nexguard and Bravecto on my seizure having lab and have no issues.

"So that others may live"

Hannah vom Steffenhaus, BH, Wilderness SAR
Eisenhower v.d Polizei "Ike" Wilderness SAR, CGC
B'Lena z. Treuenhanden
Nixon vom Banach, RATN
Phoster, FEMA USAR(Labrador)
Ch. Pennywise Sticky Wicket(Dandie Dinmont Terrier)
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 11:34 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdsar View Post
That said, I have used Nexguard and Bravecto on my seizure having lab and have no issues.

We've used a lot of Nexguard in our rescue too -- and we're dealing with dogs without any known vet history, often in terrible shape. We tend to have more than our share of crazy side-effects on a huge range of drugs pop up simply because of the population we're vetting, and the lack of a history.

When dogs show up covered with ticks, it's so important for us to use something effective that will get all of them, even hard-to-find tiny ones in little nooks and crannies that even careful exams can miss. Nexguard has been really helpful for those dogs. It's also been wonderful for off-label use treating bad demodex in HW+ dogs (where high-dose ivermectin isn't possible).

We've also used Bravecto to a lesser degree. We haven't had side effects from it either, but we have a smaller sample size to compare.

It's worth remembering that Trifexis/Comfortis also has seizure/adverse event reports. We've had whole threads about the weirdness of the unpredictability of which ones react to that product.

Frontline has other issues -- the EPA classified it as Group C (possible human carcinogen) based on rat studies finding increased thyroid tumors (though my recollection is that the rats were fed fipronil at high doses). I also have a vague recollection of some osteosarcoma correlation too, but I can't put my hands on the research right now and might be mis-remembering. Here's the official Fipronil info:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics...ience/fipronil
Fipronil Technical Fact Sheet

Ticks transmit awful diseases that can kill dogs, or destroy quality of life. Tick diseases aren't always easy to treat. Fleas aren't just annoying -- an infestation can suck enough blood to make a dog anemic, and even kill puppies (and even mild cases can still transmit other parasites or trigger allergic reactions that are absolutely miserable). For those in warm climates where EOs just aren't enough protection against really voracious bugs, not using parasite prevention has its own dangers too. So please try to keep a balanced perspective and talk with your vet about your dog's history, your environmental concerns, and the disease profiles in your area, to make good, evidence-based decisions for your individual dog!
Quinnsmom, sebrench and GypsyGhost like this.

Last edited by Magwart; 09-22-2018 at 11:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page