FDA Alert About Flea/Tick Products & Effects - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 12:46 PM

Ticks are terrible where I live in Oklahoma. I bit the bullet this summer and tried the Nexgard. Worked better than anything Iíve ever used, and no side effects. I also had a concern with using a topical because of my cats.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 01:27 PM
Elite Member

It's not an if, but a when my dogs will get tick illness if I do not treat them. I have used Bravecto and been very happy with it for a couple years. Well worth it. I've had two dogs almost die of tick illness. I vowed to never allow that to happen again. As far as I've seen, Bravecto is far the lesser of the two evils. Ticks are here to stay, and more tick illnesses pop up every year.
slippednfell likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 09:57 PM
Crowned Member

Deja is on Bravecto, doing well on it, and Griff on Trifexis (as a pup he was too young for Bravecto). What I have noticed though is that he itches from Trifexis. I gave him his third dose yesterday and within two hours he itched like crazy. Called the company and they told me that indeed it can cause itching. Duh! It took three doses before I saw the pattern. I am going to take them off flea meds next month until early summer. Will give them garlic to hopefully deter the fleas that are surviving the wet and cold. We started to have fleas when stray/dumped cats moved in on our property. The coyotes are back so hopefully they take care of that issue.
Any suggestions welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 10:22 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskeg View Post
It's not an if, but a when my dogs will get tick illness if I do not treat them. I have used Bravecto and been very happy with it for a couple years. Well worth it. I've had two dogs almost die of tick illness. I vowed to never allow that to happen again. As far as I've seen, Bravecto is far the lesser of the two evils. Ticks are here to stay, and more tick illnesses pop up every year.
Will the bravecto prevent the tick from biting completely? Ticks are the only pest or problem we've ever had to treat for and that was many many years ago.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 10:30 AM
Elite Member

Bravecto isn't a repellent, but it kills the ticks once they attach. The tick dies within a few hours of biting- I find dehydrated ticks on the dogs, but never live ones. It is 'supposed' to kill the ticks before they can transmit the bacteria that causes disease. So far, I've seen this to be true.

I tried every other flea/tick med and Bravecto (or Nexguard) is the only one that is working where I live. Ticks were really bad this spring. Soaking clothing in permethrin is also supposed to work, but I think the ticks are becoming immune to that unfortunately.

We are so far north, we used to really not have any ticks, but the march of climate change (and steady stream of southern dogs shipped to the north) seems to have brought all the bad stuff up here. Oddly enough, the snap of very hot weather ths late summer, seems to have kept the ticks in check for a bit this fall.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page