Neutering a 3+ year old GSD. Any behavioral changes? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By clipke
  • 3 Post By dogma13
  • 1 Post By tim_s_adams

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Neutering a 3+ year old GSD. Any behavioral changes?

My mom has a 3 and a 1/2 year old GSD male.

She believes neutering him will fix this behavioral issues:

She has a couple of young granddaughters (3 and 5), who Hiro (the GSD) absolutely loves. Her granddaughters brought over a playmate once, and Hiro did not like this new person at all. Ears laid back, growling, baring teeth. My mom had to crate Hiro until the girl left. This was the second time he bared teeth / growled at a young child.

Hiro marks a little bit in the house (not much) as well.

I believe this is just a training issue. I've been begging her to go to a qualified trainer, and she keeps telling me she will be hasn't done it yet.

I think she's hoping neutering Hiro will fix a lot of this.

When you read websites on google, half will tell you neutering will help while other's will tell you it won't and it's more training than anything.

What do you all think? I want to give her the best info as possible. Are there any health benefits to neutering a male dog after 3 years old? Will he, in her words, "calm down" and not be aggressive towards young children?

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 06:36 PM
Master Member

Started a similar thread not long ago. Could be a good read.

https://www.germanshepherds.com/#/topics/748559
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 06:51 PM

I think the general public has this preconceived notion that aggression, marking, etc and other behavioral problems are all related to having an in-tact dog. I personally don't believe there's any inherent connection. Every dog is different. My dog is in-tact and has 0 of those issues, and is generally the best behaved dog that most people meet. People in public and at the dog park freak out if a dog isn't neutered but I honestly blame the shelter crowd for toting the adopt don't shop narrative and blame a few irresponsible people for the entire pure bred community. At his age, you're not looking at any developmental issues that would be a result of the neutering, so if you think it's necessary, go for it, but I'd work with a trainer before snipping my dog 100% of the time. I believe the main health benefit would be testicular cancer prevention, but other than that I don't think that's enough of a reason to do without seeing a trainer first. The aggression is part genetics, part learned behavior, it won't magically go away if you neuter him though. Training will be required no matter what course of action you take.
tc68 likes this.

Jax - 2 year old WGWL GSD, 125lbs
Leeroy - 3 year old Rottweiler Pit Bull Mix, 120lbs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 06:53 PM

I second reading the thread linked above.IME whether or not a dog is intact has no effect on temperament or behavior.
Sabis mom, Sunsilver and clipke like this.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 09:29 PM

I see better general behavior in my girl after spaying her. I think the answer to your question depends on each individual dog. If she wants to neuter to see if this helps in his case then go for it, at least it eliminates any chance of this dog ever mating and it is unlikely to negatively affect his growth at this point. Just feed a bit less daily after the surgery to avoid him getting overweight.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 11:19 PM
Knighted Member

Growling and showing teeth at a young child? This dog NEEDS to see a GSD experienced, balanced trainer NOW! Neutering won't have any effect on this dangerous behavior at all!

Find your mom a trainer who has experience with this kind of thing...make sure to ask pointed questions and ask for references when interviewing trainers...lots of phonies out there telling people whatever they want to hear just to make a buck!
wolfy dog likes this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page