Deshedder and Undercoat Rake differences? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2018, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Deshedder and Undercoat Rake differences?

I've been trying to look it up online but couldn't find specific answers. What's the difference between a deshedder and an undercoat rake? Deshedding and dematting, what's the difference?

I've never used an undercoat rake before. I groom my dog every other day; I deshed him, spray some dog perfume (detangler), and finish with a regular brush (and a treat of course!).

Is an undercoat rake a daily necessity for GSDs?

Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2018, 07:45 AM

I would say no, not necessary. I only used the rake on long, double coats. Collies, Chows and the like. I deshed with a curved slicker. You scoop the coat backwards on a dry dog. I also use it in the tub, soaped up, brush through, gets them clean to the skin and removes a ton of hair. Then while I'm rinsing, I'm brushing, even more hair.

Matts are from dead coat that is not brushed out. They are solid clumps and on Shepherds, come out pretty easily. Shedding is more individual hairs that are loose and clog the vacuum brush....

No beast so fierce
Simon 6/2016
EPI, man aggressive, ball crazy, fearless protector, my heart
Old 08-06-2018, 09:20 AM
Elite Member

I use the rake on the parts of my dog that have really long hair: back of the hind legs, tail, top of the rump and around her neck/shouders (mane area). I also use it on her flanks, because the pressure from her lying on those areas makes the hair mat.

I only need it on my show line girl, because her coat is longer and thicker, and does tend to mat a bit in some areas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2018, 09:50 AM
Crowned Member

Undercoat rake - loosens and pulls out loose undercoat on either long coats or stock coats. (Fluffy parts of stock coats as haunches and ruff)

Deshedder - expensive little number that loosens and removes guard hairs and undercoat on stock coats (current two dogs are stock coats so no experience with this on long coats)
Mat splitter/cutter - Useful on long coats when they develop mats. Mats are clumps of hair that can form (sometimes very quickly) in a tangle of undercoat & top coat often behind ears & areas of angles in anatomy.

What works with all of these is a dusting of corn starch worked in well before grooming. Usually deshedder works without the corn starch.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:02 AM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Personally, I think an undercoat rake is indispensable. Nothing pulls out loose undercoat as well, except maybe a blower. I don't use it every day though. I'm not sure what you mean by a deshedder - is that like a Furminator? If so, I'm not a fan.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
Old 08-06-2018, 10:06 AM
Crowned Member

I have both. I prefer the deshedder when they are blowing coat as z first pass. Then the rake to work out any knots. Then I take the rake and work it backwards to pull out the undercoat and finish with a comb to pick up the loose hairs.

Old 08-06-2018, 10:36 AM

I use a Kong "Zoom N Groom" first to loosen the easy stuff and get a good 1st/2nd pass, then use the undercoat rake to get more undercoat out. I'd prefer leaving the top coat / guard hairs in place if they're not ready to come out, but get the loose undercoat removed, especially in summer.

Boon sees to tolerate the Zoom n Groom pretty well since it's softer and massage-ier. He only puts up with the undercoat rake, but that thing will get out a big handful of undercoat. I use it 2-3x/wk in summer.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Oh okay. Got it. I don't think I'll need to get am Undercoat Rake then. And I hope I've been grooming my boy correctly. Thanks a bunch people!
Old 08-07-2018, 12:33 AM
Elite Member

I always use a rake first and then move onto a slicker to finish it off. The rake is great for getting all the loose undercoat out.
Old 08-07-2018, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

@KaiserAus, so if I DO use an undercoat rake, it will be BEFORE a deshedder?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in