Show lines and stamina - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Show lines and stamina

Hi ya'll,
I've been taking G on a daily run, we go 5 miles every day 5 days a week. The weekend we rest completely, he will lounge around in the yard but nothing more. For the most part he has been doing amazing on the runs, leading the way most days (which I like and shows me he has good energy) and we play ball in the middle for a little bit. This morning we woke up, he was energized, ready to go waiting by the door. The first half of the run he was leading the way, super excited... we got to the park, played ball for a bit and then headed home and he just completely pooped out. Dragged the entire way back home.. ended up walking it since he seemed so exhausted. I just dropped the leash and he followed behind me for the 2 miles back home, didn't even look up at the other dogs we walked by. Checked his paws and everything looked good. At the park we get water everyday and I make sure his inner thighs and head is wet so he isn't getting too hot we are also running at 6 am and the temps are usually still in the mid 70's. He ate his breakfast fine, a little peckish but he did finish it and he inhaled his afternoon snack.. he also inhaled his dinner. Poop was perfect... His weight is back where it should be and has been stable. The rest of the day today he slept like he was beat. I'm kind of at a loss here what I should do with him. My last shepherd was a working line and he could out pace me for miles, we would run 12 mile days in a row and he never grew weary even when he was older. I'll be honest I have a hard time leaving Gandalf at home..... I really enjoy running with him. It wouldn't be the same without him, he is totally my little running buddy.... I have been contemplating this for a while though.. if perhaps he just isn't cut out for it and shouldn't run period. He seems as healthy as ever right now yet is struggling occasionally with just a few miles on some days. I feel like we aren't running too fast. I'm actually getting a bit bored with the distance and would ideally like to run further but refrain because of him. Other days he is full of energy and I can barely keep up with him. I have a hard time telling what the run will be like because mornings like today he was ready to go and seemed healthy! It seems like we have 1 or 2 days like this per month and I can't figure out what is causing it. I don't want to hurt him and push him more than what he can handle but at the same time I do also feel bad leaving him home, he seems to really enjoy our runs too when he is feeling up to it and he can't wait to go. We run on mostly soft surfaces (grass & dirt) but have a little section through the city. Do your dogs have days where they just don't feel like doing much? I can't tell if something is wrong with him since he seems happy, is eating well, and his poops are good... I don't want to just leave him out from living life because of his past medical history, especially since our regular vet told us he seemed healthy enough for exercise and to manage his flare ups as they happen. Exercise is also supposed to be so good for your health and healing. Is this just normal for a showline? He is mellower than my WL in other aspects.... Just his personality? I wish they could talk.
Thanks

PS here is a picture of him I shared on here the other day, this was an average run for us at the 3 mile mark going through the short city part. To me he looks energized and happy, he didn't lag that day but also wasn't leading. Am I missing something? I know sometimes when we look at our dogs everyday we don't see the same thing as someone else might. The only thing he carries in his sack is 2-3 little plastic poop bags and my medicine, it's super light.
Attached Images

SQUIRREL!

Last edited by GandalfTheShepherd; 08-02-2018 at 08:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 08:26 PM
Master Member

Maybe he just isn't a running dog. Have you thought about not running him in the summer? Even early morning or late in the evening when it should be cool may be too hot for these guys. He may just need to take a summer break and start up again in the fall. Also, could you go on a couple runs? One with him where you don't go super far, then go by yourself and go as far as you want? Could the pack be causing him to overheat, even though it is very light? I don't particularly want things strapped to me when I'm running in the heat.

Just some thoughts!

Forrest - GSD 9/1/2016 - 5/14/2017 RIP
Brooklyn - Golden retriever 1/30/11
post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pytheis View Post
Maybe he just isn't a running dog. Have you thought about not running him in the summer? Even early morning or late in the evening when it should be cool may be too hot for these guys. He may just need to take a summer break and start up again in the fall. Also, could you go on a couple runs? One with him where you don't go super far, then go by yourself and go as far as you want? Could the pack be causing him to overheat, even though it is very light? I don't particularly want things strapped to me when I'm running in the heat.

Just some thoughts!
Thanks for your input Pytheis!!! I have thought about the heat a lot........ my WL dark sable shepherd would run with me in the middle of the afternoon here in the summer and have no issues... Gandalf is white so I've thought he should be cooler. Although he does have a long coat and my sable did not. When we go to the club here all of the other shepherds are dying in this heat and generally Gandalf seems to be tolerating it better. Could be he is just better conditioned than those dogs (not sure what they would do on a 5 mile run after all?). He is a different dog, with a different personality, so perhaps it is just that, he may not like running in the heat! It isn't fair to compare him to my old dog. I did feel today was slightly warmer than the other days this week, but wouldn't have thought it would have been enough to bother him! Maybe I am wrong! I've experimented with it a bit and haven't noticed a real difference for him with pack on or off, but I could understand that being an issue. He had a bad day last month when he wasn't wearing the pack. I'm curious to see if he does pick things up in the fall... we actually started running instead of hiking this summer because the woods this time of year are too full of ticks and fleas and he doesn't tolerate the preventatives very well. That's a good idea to take him on a short run first and then drop him off at home.

SQUIRREL!

Last edited by GandalfTheShepherd; 08-02-2018 at 08:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 09:12 PM

Maybe he should go on shorter runs for awhile. How many months has he been running? How old is he now? Maybe he needs to work up to those 5 mile runs this time of year.
GandalfTheShepherd likes this.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfaeries View Post
Maybe he should go on shorter runs for awhile. How many months has he been running? How old is he now? Maybe he needs to work up to those 5 mile runs this time of year.
He has been running for 2 months now, I started him off slow and we've been working up distance. He's a year and 8 months right now. Does that seem like too much for him for his age? I always do forget how young he still is.... he acts all grown up. We run i'd say around 4 of those miles on grass and dirt. Before his breeder had passed away I asked her what age he could start running with me and she recommended a year old.

SQUIRREL!
post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 09:35 PM

My girl Scarlet is a bit older than Gandalf. Sheíll be 2 in a couple of weeks. Iíve been wanting to roadwork her on my bicycle, but my breeders said to wait until she was at least 18 months old, and only for short distances at first. I havenít started yet because itís just too warm, even early in the am. Anyway, 5 miles of running seems a lot to ask of your guy at this age.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 09:40 PM

How often do you do "fun" exercise, maybe increase the fun exercise and shorten the runs, or give him wednesday off for running as well as the weekend, he might like running but not everyday for quite as long as that. It might get boring for him. Add in some more fun stuff and take the pack off, although it isn't heavy it can be keeping heat in. He will probably be more excited about running come the fall and having a bit of a break.
My dog loves running with me on the bike but that added with the fun exercise tires him out almost too much and he is almost sluggish and too tired in the house, like it tires the spark of life out of him (low- medium ish energy) G might just want a bit of a change to keep him motivated
GandalfTheShepherd likes this.
post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 09:55 PM
Elite Member

How humid is it at that time in the morning? Even if the temps are up there yet the humidity may be higher and harder for him to breath, it might even have been a particularly humid morning that morning that he was lagging.
post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzy25 View Post
How often do you do "fun" exercise, maybe increase the fun exercise and shorten the runs, or give him wednesday off for running as well as the weekend, he might like running but not everyday for quite as long as that. It might get boring for him. Add in some more fun stuff and take the pack off, although it isn't heavy it can be keeping heat in. He will probably be more excited about running come the fall and having a bit of a break.
My dog loves running with me on the bike but that added with the fun exercise tires him out almost too much and he is almost sluggish and too tired in the house, like it tires the spark of life out of him (low- medium ish energy) G might just want a bit of a change to keep him motivated
We do fun things every day. We play ball, rollerblade, hike, swim, go to the beach, go on trips to the mountains, agility, obedience classes, scent class, he likes to ride ferries to tropical islands, go to the garden center and see giant bears & dragons, play with his dog friends, If you'd like to see all the fun stuff this guy does you can check out his facebook page here https://www.facebook.com/FoxhuntsYou...?ref=bookmarks
I try not to overwhelm him, but we do interesting stuff all the time. I really don't think he is bored.... on our runs he sees lots of other dogs, and meets lots of different people and we stop to play ball, do a little obedience and I usually end up chasing him and playing with him around the park. He definitely is very excited to go for the run in the morning, he sits by the door waiting to go ... its just that he poops out in the middle every once in a while. That's a good idea to give him a day off in the middle of the week, maybe its just too much continuous for him and he just need a break in between. Do you bike with your guy this time of year? Are you in a warm climate too?

SQUIRREL!

Last edited by GandalfTheShepherd; 08-02-2018 at 10:25 PM.
post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiserAus View Post
How humid is it at that time in the morning? Even if the temps are up there yet the humidity may be higher and harder for him to breath, it might even have been a particularly humid morning that morning that he was lagging.
Could be , I have a problem so i'm usually cold and don't notice. The humidity just makes it feel colder to me. But i'm sure it could be bugging him. Someone on here mentioned how you could add the humidity and the temperature, I didn't check today but maybe it was slightly higher. That would certainly explain the randomness of it.

SQUIRREL!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page