effects of neutering male GS - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 25Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 2
effects of neutering male GS

Hello, we'll bring home a GS puppy in November. We must decide whether we want a male or a female. We're leaning towards a male but neutering a male worries me. In my home country neutering is not as common as in the US (where I live). My American friends are all in favor of neutering. My friends in Europe tell me neutering can make a male lazy and effeminate, and even cause overweight, and say it's totally doable to have an intact male. Thoughts? Thanks.
synnove is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 02:32 PM
Moderator
 
car2ner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4,153
Not everyone in the U.S. neuters their males. If your dog does not roam or have females getting into heat regularly nearby, you can wait to deal with that until (or if) a health issue comes up.

Females are a bit tougher to leave intact. Keeping them intact may have positive health benefits for some things and may have more complications in others. I took a middle ground and had my gal spay at 18 months about the time she was full grown and a couple of months after her 2nd heat.
tc68, Muskeg, Kyrielle and 1 others like this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

car2ner is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 02:42 PM
Crowned Member
 
wolfy dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 9,322
Training and management makes a well-behaved dog. Neutering alone won't. Males are not the sex addicted, fighting-prone, roaming monsters everyone makes them out to be. I have had several intact males and they were never a problem, nor did they sire illegal litters.
I lived in Western Europe for many years and actually find that I encounter more aggressive dogs in the US vs my time in Europe. That's my personal experience and not based on science.
I think that in US we are to casual about removing body parts from dogs, cats, horses, birds etc as if the design wasn't good enough.
wolfy dog is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 03:19 PM
Elite Member
 
ausdland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: SF Bay
Posts: 1,219
Manage him, I wouldn't neuter him, at least until he's 2.5 years old if you feel you must. I'd never neuter a male unless a health condition required it.
tc68 and synnove like this.

Last edited by ausdland; 07-18-2018 at 03:25 PM.
ausdland is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 03:24 PM
Elite Member
 
ausdland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: SF Bay
Posts: 1,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
Training and management makes a well-behaved dog. Neutering alone won't. Males are not the sex addicted, fighting-prone, roaming monsters everyone makes them out to be. I have had several intact males and they were never a problem, nor did they sire illegal litters.
I lived in Western Europe for many years and actually find that I encounter more aggressive dogs in the US vs my time in Europe. That's my personal experience and not based on science.
I think that in US we are to casual about removing body parts from dogs, cats, horses, birds etc as if the design wasn't good enough.
I want to take that one step further and say as a culture, generally, we are more irresponsible and aggressive than Europeans, so our veterinary community has come up with the grand idea of sterilizing domestic animals prior to maturity.
ausdland is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 2
Thanks all, glad to hear not everyone thinks neutering is necessary, I personally don't like the idea
Nurse Bishop likes this.
synnove is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 10:45 AM
Master Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 539
Ditto what everyone above said. No need to do it if you exercise your dog every day, there aren't any intact females in your neighborhood, your dog is under your control 100% of the time, and/or there aren't any health problems that require it. But there are downsides to not neutering him...and you need to know that there will be places like doggie daycares, some dog hotels, some dog parks, some grooming places, and other places that won't allow your dog in because it's not neutered.
tc68 is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 12:00 PM
Member
 
Felafufu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc68 View Post
Ditto what everyone above said. No need to do it if you exercise your dog every day, there aren't any intact females in your neighborhood, your dog is under your control 100% of the time, and/or there aren't any health problems that require it. But there are downsides to not neutering him...and you need to know that there will be places like doggie daycares, some dog hotels, some dog parks, some grooming places, and other places that won't allow your dog in because it's not neutered.
Licensing fees (in jurisdictions where they are required) are often higher for un-neutered pets. Where I live, an annual license is $30 for an intact dog. Not break-the-bank expensive for many people, but still three times higher than for spayed/neutered dogs.
tc68, car2ner and asibley like this.
Felafufu is offline  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 12:07 PM
Elite Member
 
Muskeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Mountains
Posts: 1,734
Europe is a big place, there are lots of areas with plenty of strays like Greece, and then places with no strays, like Norway and Denmark. Careful about making blanket statements about an entire continent or country and its people.

There are plenty of areas in this United States with no dog overpopulation that are massive sinks for stray dogs from elsewhere in the US. For example, New England, parts of Minnesota/Wisconsin, places in Oregon, Washington (and I'm sure others).

Of course, neutering your dog is your decision. Unless used for breeding or competition, I'd spay a female at about 2 years old. Breeding females, I'd spay after her last litter or around 7-8 years old. Males, it's more murky, but I wouldn't worry much about neutering a male at about 2, if that is your choice.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Muskeg is offline  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 03:58 PM
Moderator
 
car2ner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felafufu View Post
Licensing fees (in jurisdictions where they are required) are often higher for un-neutered pets. Where I live, an annual license is $30 for an intact dog. Not break-the-bank expensive for many people, but still three times higher than for spayed/neutered dogs.
In my county in MD I think it is $25 for intact and $5 for desexed. Yeah, not break the bank difference but I like that they reward us for doing what they believe is responsible (and for some people it is). consider it positive reinforcement for humans.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

car2ner is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome