Heartworm & Parasite Prevention -- Low-Cost Options - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 12:38 PM

My neighbors dogs both got heart worms while on proheart. If 1 dog Iíd thought a fluke, but not both. The company (Bayer maybe?) would only pay for one dogs treatment. Iím not a big fan of Moxidectin even though our adult dogs have been on Advantage Multi for years. My new pup however has had a serious problem with it so trying to come up with a new plan for all.
We have a Vet appointment tomorrow morning so arming myself with more information and I appreciate the information youíve taken the time to give me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

@DollBaby, Ivermectin-resistance has been proven to exist in some parts of the country -- esp. the Deep South. What people don't realize though is that the same Auburn study also found EVERY alternative to ivermectin also had some resistance EXCEPT Advantage Multi. It was the only product that had no documented resistance in the Auburn study that's the best research we have on the subject. That's why my dogs are on Advantage Multi, living in the Deep South. It's not something to worry about except in a small slice of the country (Mississippi Valley, and Gulf Coast) right now, as they've only found the resistant strain in small pockets where there's already a big HW problem...but the resistant strain is expected to expand over time.
David Winners likes this.

Last edited by Magwart; 09-22-2019 at 01:03 PM.
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 02:42 PM

I do live in the South, why mine have been on Advantage Multi. Apparently my new pup canít tolorate it, or the dose was to big since thereís a very wide weight range per dose. She was at the bottom of the weight range PLUS I caught her chewing on my other GSDís application site. It was long past the 2 hour window but the hair was still stiff and nasty from it. Pup began head/neck tremors after that application of her A.M. Now that her month is running out on that application her tremors are subsiding so pretty sure itís that and not some weird growth spurt reaction, thatís been implied.
My Vet has done some tests, everything normal. She was to contact Bayer for product adverse reactions but hasnít gotten back with me as of yet on that. This is why Iím wanting an alternative
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

If you're concerned about the dose, it's easy to calculate the exact mL of Ad Multi for a given weight -- your vet could do that for you. With their vet's permission, some people with multiple dogs in various sizes buy the huge 88-110 pound tubes and squirt the whole tube into a film canister/pill bottle size container, then pull out the right amount with a needle-less syringe for each dog. It ends up being way cheaper as you might get three dogs out of two tubes or something like that -- and you can seal up what's left over for next month. I don't care for the mess of it, but I know a lot of people who do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page