Heartworm & Parasite Prevention -- Low-Cost Options - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 12:12 AM
Elite Member

Thanks for starting this thread Magwart. My dog is currently on year round monthly doses of Interceptor Spectrum for heartworm and intestinal parasites, and NexGard for fleas and ticks. He's also on daily Ketoconazole and Cyclosporine.

I'm considering changing to NexGard Spectra as its cheaper, and only requires me having to dose my dog once per month. I currently space the Nexgard and Interceptor doses a few days apart. My concern is if NexGard Spectra would be too much of a 'chemical hit' with the other meds he's on.

What would you recommend for my situation? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I'm not familiar with Spectra. Our rescue's vet has us put 2 weeks between NexGard and Advantage Multi (sold as Advocate outside the U.S.) when we have dogs that need to be on both...so that would be my instinct when combining overlapping products, but some HW products can be given safely at the same time as monthly flea/tick products. I don't use Interceptor, so I have no experience with it. Have you checked with your vet?

Ketoconozole given internally (vs. topically) has its own set of potential side effects -- cyclosporin is one of the drugs with potential cross-reactions with it, so go over that with your vet and let your vet guide you on what to watch for. I'm sure your vet is monitoring doseage and response carefully with this in mind.
https://www.petmd.com/pet-medication/ketoconazole

Last edited by Magwart; 03-06-2019 at 01:47 AM.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 03:05 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
I'm not familiar with Spectra. Our rescue's vet has us put 2 weeks between NexGard and Advantage Multi (sold as Advocate outside the U.S.) when we have dogs that need to be on both...so that would be my instinct when combining overlapping products, but some HW products can be given safely at the same time as monthly flea/tick products. I don't use Interceptor, so I have no experience with it. Have you checked with your vet?

Ketoconozole given internally (vs. topically) has its own set of potential side effects -- cyclosporin is one of the drugs with potential cross-reactions with it, so go over that with your vet and let your vet guide you on what to watch for. I'm sure your vet is monitoring doseage and response carefully with this in mind.
https://www.petmd.com/pet-medication/ketoconazole
Thanks, I have a great vet, Cyclosporine and Ketoconozole were our last treatment option. I'll ask her at our monthly appointment on Friday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

If anyone needs a low-cost exam to update a dog's prevention (e.g., get your annual HW prescription), check your email if you are a member of Petco's PALS store loyalty program! They just emailed out a coupon good through 6/15/19 for a FREE vet exam at their new low-cost Thrive vet clinics in stores that have them.

I think the clinics will charge $20 or so for a HW test even with a free exam -- but you could get a REALLY cheap prescription for a generic HW med this way.
sebrench likes this.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 01:16 PM

Hello all, I have 10 week old and was wondering if I should buy these medications now or wait until his appointment with the vet and talk to him/her on Sept 4th? I live in So Cal.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckzx View Post
Hello all, I have 10 week old and was wondering if I should buy these medications now or wait until his appointment with the vet and talk to him/her on Sept 4th? I live in So Cal.

The official American Heartworm Society recommendation is to start puppies at 8 weeks of age, based on their weight. Here's their page of FAQs for pet owners:

https://www.heartwormsociety.org/pet...-in-my-new-pet

Advantage Multi is labeled as young as 9 weeks (it covers fleas too), so a week later if you want to use that one. Heartgard and its generics are labeled as young as 6 weeks depending on weight.

All that being said....I've had several sets of rescue pups that came to us around 12 weeks that were started on Advantage Multi as soon as we got them. They didn't get HW disease (and I'm in one of the worst states for it). OTOH, Ad Multi kills juvenile heartworms readily when used monthly, so even if there were some immature worms in the pups I had, it would have taken care of them them (it's the only one that has been shown to kill juvenile worms...it's why we use it!). I have no idea they'd have had the same positive outcome with Heartgard, as I only ever use Ad Multi on rescue dogs.

If you're not starting them until your pup is 12 weeks soon, I would perhaps ask the vet about prescribing Advantage Multi instead of one of the cheaper pills. It ends up being good value because it also gives decent flea protection (like Advantage II combined with HW and deworming). You'll just need to buy a single tube at a time in the beginning when the pup is growing fast, as the pup will need a bigger size at 20 lbs. and again at 55 lbs. (and again if it ever gets over 88 lbs.). Once you're over 55#, then you can *probably* safely buy 6-packs online at Allivet for around $75 per 6 pack (a GOOD price for both flea and HW). You have year-round fleas in So Cal, so the pup will need something for that anyway. Or in 6 months, you can switch to something else, as at that point, it will have killed any immature HWs that might have been in the pup growing already.

Last edited by Magwart; 08-25-2019 at 10:51 AM.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
The official American Heartworm Society recommendation is to start puppies at 8 weeks of age, based on their weight. Here's their page of FAQs for pet owners:

https://www.heartwormsociety.org/pet...-in-my-new-pet

Advantage Multi is labeled as young as 9 weeks (it covers fleas too), so a week later if you want to use that one. Heartgard and its generics are labeled as young as 6 weeks depending on weight.

All that being said....I've had several sets of rescue pups that came to us around 12 weeks that were started on Advantage Multi as soon as we got them. They didn't get HW disease (and I'm in one of the worst states for it). OTOH, Ad Multi kills juvenile heartworms readily when used monthly, so even if there were some immature worms in the pups I had, it would have taken care of them them (it's the only one that has been shown to kill juvenile worms...it's why we use it!). I have no idea they'd have had the same positive outcome with Heartgard, as I only ever use Ad Multi on rescue dogs.

If you're not starting them until your pup is 12 weeks soon, I would perhaps ask the vet about prescribing Advantage Multi instead of one of the cheaper pills. It ends up being good value because it also gives decent flea protection (like Advantage II combined with HW and deworming). You'll just need to buy a single tube at a time in the beginning when the pup is growing fast, as the pup will need a bigger size at 20 lbs. and again at 55 lbs. (and again if it ever gets over 88 lbs.). Once you're over 55#, then you can *probably* safely buy 6-packs online at Allivet for around $75 per 6 pack (a GOOD price for both flea and HW). You have year-round fleas in So Cal, so the pup will need something for that anyway. Or in 6 months, you can switch to something else, as at that point, it will have killed any immature HWs that might have been in the pup growing already.

Thanks for the reply, sorry for the late response. I just got back from the vet and the puppy is doing well. They started him on Interceptor plus and Nexgard Blue. Going to give them a try. The vet prefers the Interceptor to the heartgard. Going to do some research.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page