Heartworm & Parasite Prevention -- Low-Cost Options - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 12:12 AM
Elite Member

Thanks for starting this thread Magwart. My dog is currently on year round monthly doses of Interceptor Spectrum for heartworm and intestinal parasites, and NexGard for fleas and ticks. He's also on daily Ketoconazole and Cyclosporine.

I'm considering changing to NexGard Spectra as its cheaper, and only requires me having to dose my dog once per month. I currently space the Nexgard and Interceptor doses a few days apart. My concern is if NexGard Spectra would be too much of a 'chemical hit' with the other meds he's on.

What would you recommend for my situation? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I'm not familiar with Spectra. Our rescue's vet has us put 2 weeks between NexGard and Advantage Multi (sold as Advocate outside the U.S.) when we have dogs that need to be on both...so that would be my instinct when combining overlapping products, but some HW products can be given safely at the same time as monthly flea/tick products. I don't use Interceptor, so I have no experience with it. Have you checked with your vet?

Ketoconozole given internally (vs. topically) has its own set of potential side effects -- cyclosporin is one of the drugs with potential cross-reactions with it, so go over that with your vet and let your vet guide you on what to watch for. I'm sure your vet is monitoring doseage and response carefully with this in mind.
https://www.petmd.com/pet-medication/ketoconazole

Last edited by Magwart; 03-06-2019 at 01:47 AM.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 03:05 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
I'm not familiar with Spectra. Our rescue's vet has us put 2 weeks between NexGard and Advantage Multi (sold as Advocate outside the U.S.) when we have dogs that need to be on both...so that would be my instinct when combining overlapping products, but some HW products can be given safely at the same time as monthly flea/tick products. I don't use Interceptor, so I have no experience with it. Have you checked with your vet?

Ketoconozole given internally (vs. topically) has its own set of potential side effects -- cyclosporin is one of the drugs with potential cross-reactions with it, so go over that with your vet and let your vet guide you on what to watch for. I'm sure your vet is monitoring doseage and response carefully with this in mind.
https://www.petmd.com/pet-medication/ketoconazole
Thanks, I have a great vet, Cyclosporine and Ketoconozole were our last treatment option. I'll ask her at our monthly appointment on Friday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page