Shaving inner thighs, etc. for heat? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Shaving inner thighs, etc. for heat?

Haven't been able to find any definitive advice on whether this is a good idea. I've scissor clipped the area around my guys inner thighs, balls, etc. a bit. He's got pretty long hair down there. Any thoughts on shaving him in that area with 1-2" clipper guard?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 08:21 PM

Unless he is about to have an operation in that area or he is extremely matted, then do not clip or shave a GSD.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Well that is of course the orthodoxy but hardly informative. The only other part of his coat I would consider trimming is the pants.

I feel pretty sure air circulation in this area would be beneficial to cooling him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 09:26 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asibley View Post
Well that is of course the orthodoxy but hardly informative. The only other part of his coat I would consider trimming is the pants.

I feel pretty sure air circulation in this area would be beneficial to cooling him.
You'd be wrong about that! The hair actually helps keep them cool, and cutting it of is likely doing more harm than good! Get him a small swimming pool to cool off in, and leave his hair alone would be my advice!
Jax08, Aly, farnln and 4 others like this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 09:31 PM

you could trim but I wouldn't shave. The most important part is to keep matting down so the breeze can blow through the fur.
asibley likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 09:46 PM

I use a plastic horse trough because a pool would not last long with Gabby and she loves it. Gabby's vet said do not shave GSD's and she takes care of all of the county's K9 cops and many are long haired like my dog is.
asibley likes this.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

My understanding is the double coat works wonders to insulate the skin of the dog from the radiative heat of the sun but mainly impedes cooling (sun aside) once the temperature of the dog equalizes with the ambient temperature in the environment by restricting airflow.

Considering all the blood vessels in the groin area seems that unrestricted airflow over this area would help cool him down during play for example. The sun doesn't reach this area.

My dog is a fairly long haired plush coat. Solid black saddle back,mostly red elsewhere. His pants grow out very long. The hair around his butt and genitals is very thick and dense. Seems unlike elsewhere on the body.

I don't plan to shave down to skin but I think I will keep shorn to an inch or two. The matting is completely under control but the fur is so dense air flow is severely restricted to the posterior groin.

Like everyone else here I don't want to disrupt the structure of the double coat. He does have to go through brutal winters. I'm also not entirely sure that this area in the groin is double-coated, or to what degree it is. Seems a lot different than the rest of the coat.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

I should note he's an indoor dog and very lithe physically. Does great in the heat but I can feel how overheated his groin gets when out and about in the heat.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 11:11 PM
Knighted Member

We have our girls tummies,paws, and inner thighs clipped fairly short when they go in for grooming. We've done it for years and they grow out fine. They only go twice a year to the groomer. Both are very full long coats. I emphasize the very, especially Tess.
asibley likes this.

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together,keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever." A.A. Milne
Karen

Tessa~GSD
Della~GSD

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksotto333 View Post
We have our girls tummies,paws, and inner thighs clipped fairly short when they go in for grooming. We've done it for years and they grow out fine. They only go twice a year to the groomer. Both are very full long coats. I emphasize the very, especially Tess.
Good to hear! Belly fur on my guy is pretty thin so I'll probably leave that alone. He does have very thick and long fur between his pads on the paw. Not sure about the cooling properties of trimming that but I'll give it some thought. I trimmed it extensively during winter because massive ice balls accumulate there when he plays on powdery snow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page