Groooooooming - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Mei
Master Member

Groooooooming

Yes, Groooooooooooooooooooming. What it felt like. I just gave up after like 20 minutes!

The hair is endless! How often should I groom? Best tools?? I was petting her earlier today and on her rear back it seems the hair just wont stop coming out. It seems to be in that spot where her hair can even kinda pull out. It's not giant clumps though.
smbrach likes this.

Mei - DOB 1/15/2018
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 12:08 AM
Master Member

My previous GSD was a long haired. The current pup is not. Doesn't matter. They both shed. It's a GSD thing. Have you heard people call them "German Shedders?" I brush/ed both everyday. I saved almost all my previous dog's hair/fur...one whole lawn trash bag full. (You guys are probably wondering why I saved his fur. I heard of women who started a business of using their dog's fur to make winter hats, gloves, scarves, blankets, etc..) Tools: I've got them all...rakes, brushes, metal brushes, furminator, combs, etc.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Mei
Master Member

[QUOTE=tc68;9083235]My previous GSD was a long haired. The current pup is not. Doesn't matter. They both shed. It's a GSD thing. Have you heard people call them "German Shedders?" I brush/ed both everyday. I saved almost all my previous dog's hair/fur...one whole lawn trash bag full. (You guys are probably wondering why I saved his fur. I heard of women who started a business of using their dog's fur to make winter hats, gloves, scarves, blankets, etc..) Tools: I've got them all...rakes, brushes, metal brushes, furminator, combs, etc.[/QUOT0E]

Furminator looks great. I must get that. And no, I've never heard German Shedder before lol.

So this sounds like something I need to stay on top of and comb every day.

Mei - DOB 1/15/2018
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 05:04 AM

My dogs get the "brushy brush" routine nearly every night. Since they sleep in our bedroom and sometimes jump up on the bed, the less stuff they bring in hidden in their fur the better. My big-boy is long hair, my gal-dog stock coat. I have a rake but only use it when it is heavy shedding season, like when loosing the seasonal coat. I have a pin brush for most brushing and I use a human's plastic comb. It has to be sturdy, not the cheap scratchy kind. Which tool I use depends on how much hair is coming out or where I am brushing. The tail on my big-boy needs the pin brush since the comb and rake only get stuck. The fluffy britches need the pin brush too. Along the back the pin brush and sometimes the comb. The comb between the legs. The rake if needed on the back and hips and chest.

My boy didn't understand brushes for a long time. He thought they were an invitation to play rough. I had treats in one hand and the brush in another. Now, all grown up, he understand grooming. My gal was nearly always fine with brushing but then again, she watched our boy get brushed and how he responded to it. They both enjoy it as long as I don't stick to one spot too long.
smbrach likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 07:01 AM

I use an Oscar Frank curved slicker. They are pretty stiff right out of the box so I soften them up by smooshing them on a flat surface until the needles give a little. Heavy shedding, I 'scoop' the brush backwards in small sections. You will be amazed at how quickly you will fill this brush. Run it backwards on your jeans and it comes out in one clump, then back at it. Smooth and clean debris by going with the lay of the coat. It takes out burrs and matts like magic. I also use it in the tub. Soap the dog up and run the brush through, clear the drain or you will both drown. Run the brush through the damp coat a couple of times and you will be good to go. You will still have 'loosies', the guard hairs, but your vacuum will be forever grateful for this method.

No beast so fierce
Simon 6/2016
EPI, man aggressive, ball crazy, fearless protector, my heart
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 08:38 AM
Elite Member

I usually brush until I've had enough fur go up my nose and in my mouth. So usually half the dog.
I use a slicker brush and a blade
unfortunatefoster and smbrach like this.

Snitches get stitches.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 09:03 AM

I completely forgot about the shedding blade! Just be careful over the boney parts, it can easily rake some flesh off if used to hard, but works great getting the undercoat and loose guard hairs and works much faster than the furminator. Cloudpump- The hairs in your nose are for extra filtering of contaminates in the air, the mouth, instafloss. The ones wrapped around your eyeballs serve no purpose but to irritate.
cloudpump and smbrach like this.

No beast so fierce
Simon 6/2016
EPI, man aggressive, ball crazy, fearless protector, my heart
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 09:49 AM

If you get the furminator make sure you know how to use it. I've read lots of posts where people have messed up their dogs fur.
Bramble, Mudypoz and smbrach like this.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Mei
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mareesey View Post
If you get the furminator make sure you know how to use it. I've read lots of posts where people have messed up their dogs fur.
How so have they messed up?? Brush to much and get bald spot?

I'm going to check out better grooming tools at petsmart today.

Thanks all!

Mei - DOB 1/15/2018
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 11:46 AM
Crowned Member

Don’t get the Furninator deshedder. It has a razor blade in the comb area and will cut off the top coat. It is designed for different coat types and our dogs have. The Furminator Rake does not have a razor blade and works very well.
Bramble, Mareesey and smbrach like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page