Heater for winter night? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Heater for winter night?

It is the middle of winter in Australia right now, and we don't have central heating. Our pup (14-month very short hair GSD x Malinois) sleeps in a crate indoors, and the lowest may be 50F (10C). For us, this is very cold, and we have quilt and electric blanket. Pup has blankets, but she sleeps on top and not under it. Is this too cold? shall we arrange heater? How do we tell if she is cold?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 10:13 PM
Crowned Member

Not too cold, she should be fine. Our memorial weekend camping trip still had snow with over night lows in the thirties. Both my dogs were damp, but slept on top of our sleeping bags in the tent. My girl Zoe had completely blown her coat to boot.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 10:13 PM
Crowned Member

We backpack all year. Our coldest overnight was 27 degrees. This is cold for my boy but we donít mess around. He has the same sleep system as us. Sleeping pad & sleeping bag. We are all warm.

But at 50 degrees he would sleep on top of his pad & bag and be comfortable. He would get hot with the sleeping bag over him at those temps.

When heís been cold, he shakes or has shivers, sometimes itís slight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 10:25 PM
Crowned Member

The first winter we were in Saskatchewan my dogs were crated in an unheated, partially insulated porch part of the time (because the house was basically gutted). In temps of -37 C they were fine with a moving blanket under their crates and another tossed over top of the two. We also used a similar system in the patrol truck in the winter.

As long as she has blankets to snuggle in she should be more then fine.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 07:34 AM
Knighted Member

Rocky and a previous shepherd had/have thick coats. It was nothing to find them laying on their belly in the snow, it was pretty common. Of course, my dogs are all house dogs, they can come inside any time they want, but if the weather gets into the single digits, I call them in myself every thirty minutes or so that they can warm up.

I have to monitor them more closely when it's really hot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page