3Likes
  • 1 Post By angelas
  • 1 Post By dogfaeries
  • 1 Post By dogfaeries

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Clipper recommendations for tail region

I need to keep my dog's tail region clipped due to a medical condition. When looking at what clippers are available, the descriptions read:

Perfect for paws, ears and face

Does this mean the clippers also can handle butt fur? Can anyone recommend good quality cordless, quiet clippers that will do the job well, price up to around $100? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 08:01 PM

Usually the lightweight cordless clippers won’t power through a bunch of coat. Which clippers are they?

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 08:13 PM

As a long time groomer, I like Andis clippers. But they are about $160 and up, depending on the clipper. Comes with a #10 blade.

Andis UltraEdge

~ Diane ~

and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 08:40 PM
Knighted Member

I've never had a problem with my corded Oster. But from reviews I've read I'd agree with dogfaeries on the cordless ones. All of them say they loose power fairly quickly. They also tend to be more expensive than corded clippers. Bonus is that the cord on my clippers is about 10 feet long.
dogfaeries likes this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 08:48 PM

I think the cord on my Andis is 14 feet. Plenty long. I understand the allure of cordless clippers. I have some for pads, poodle feet, etc, but they don’t have the power to do much else. The cordless ones that are powerful enough are more expensive than the corded.
angelas likes this.

~ Diane ~

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfaeries View Post
Usually the lightweight cordless clippers won’t power through a bunch of coat. Which clippers are they?
I was looking at these, butt (couldn't resist ) I'm open to corded ones, that will last and do a good, quick, clean job, without nicking sensitive parts.

https://www.amazon.com/Wahl-Professi...ppers+for+dogs
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 11:34 PM

I have a version of that Wahl clipper, mine has an adjustable blade. Its the one I use for pads, poodle feet, etc. The one you linked has a 30 blade which is VERY short (think how short a show poodle’s face is shaved). It comes with snap on combs that will be worthless for a GSD coat. If you are only shaving under the tail, without getting into the coat, it might work.
Spetzio likes this.

~ Diane ~

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfaeries View Post
I have a version of that Wahl clipper, mine has an adjustable blade. Its the one I use for pads, poodle feet, etc. The one you linked has a 30 blade which is VERY short (think how short a show poodle’s face is shaved). It comes with snap on combs that will be worthless for a GSD coat. If you are only shaving under the tail, without getting into the coat, it might work.
I love my Andis UltraEdge but do agree they can get pricey. I think my five speed sits at over 200.00.

If you run a 4 comb in reverse up under the tail (personally don't like Wahl's 5, too choppy) do you think that would be a good alternative to a blade? A 10 blade would be my other rec. Short enough (unless they're looking for medical grade shave under there) but also safer than some others in the hands of a beginner.

Rocket (pomeranian) - 01/2002 - 03/2016
Hircine vom HausReid "Sawyer" (GSD) - 11/24/16

-Alyssa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page