First time with fleas! - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Magwart
  • 1 Post By hoytn

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

First time with fleas!

Hi everyone,

If you have had and rid yourself of fleas what is your flea protocol?

I found some very old post on this topic but needed to bump because products on the market have evolved.

This is my first time having fleas in the household. Confirmed by the “water on the paper towel” test.

My bedding has been stripped and replaced.
Reggie was fed a Capstar.
(Poor baby didn’t get any sleep)

I bought an upholstery spray to target fabric on my bed frame and the hard wood floors. However I can’t get everyone out of the house for 4 hours until the weekend.

Advantix 2 is on the way.

Should I bathe her? does my actual mattress need to be sprayed with pesticides? Could I use the upholstery pesticide spray instead of washing the dog bed?

I don’t own a washer dryer ek!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 12:05 PM
Crowned Member

I find as advantix
Works great and cap star I believes sterilizes fleas. Depending how bad the flea situations is. You can vacume the mattress /furniture some people use both balls in the bag or you can throw the vaccume bag right outside in bag. You have to apply advantix either 24 or 48 hours before or after bath or dog gets wet. I would just put the advantix on so there are no delays and you can always bath the dog when needed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 02:04 PM
Crowned Member

Vacuum daily -- even 2x daily (including the furniture). Dump the vacuum contents into a plastic bag and tie it up, and remove it to the outside trash (put salt and baking soda in the bag, or if you have cedar essential oil or even indoor anti-flea spray, you can put a little in the bag before tying it up). Consider buying a steam cleaner for your furniture too.

Take a look at Wondercide.com -- they have good nontoxic products made from cedar oil. Their home spray is excellent. Their shampoo bars are also terrific. It's stuff you'll want to live with (nice smelling).

If there's carpet, I would sprinkle it with salt (or salt and baking soda) overnight --and keep the dog off of it! -- then vacuum it up.
http://www.fleacontrolbook.com/natur...?v=a-I6jCsus4c

To wash the dog, either get a bar of Wondercide's bar soap with neem oil, or a bottle of Natural Chemistry De-Flea: https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcos...ea-pet-shampoo . Both work well and are gentle on coats (unlike Dawn, which will kill fleas but strip the coat).

If all else fails, you may have to use a bug bomb, but I view those things as last resorts -- if you have to, try to use them on a Friday, leave for the weekend, and return Sunday night, then throw open the windows and put fans in them to draw in fresh air.

The Advantix may or may not work -- it's absolutely great in some regions and not effective in others. If it doesn't work, I would get RX flea protection from your vet -- NexGuard, Bravecto, Vectra3D, etc. The RX stuff is expensive, but it works.

You're going to be dealing with waves of fleas for a while probably, due to the life cycle. 95% of the problem is the eggs.
unfortunatefoster likes this.

Last edited by Magwart; 06-11-2018 at 02:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 03:53 PM

I have not had fleas but I did use Virbac Knockout Area Treatment Spray, as a deterrent. I highly recommend it, I had bad boxer bugs in my front yard so I used it in them and this years count was significantly smaller.
unfortunatefoster likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 05:46 PM

I second the Knockout remedy for upholstery and rugs. It has a growth regulator so the youngsters don't turn into the evil bloodsuckers. If your dog is allergic to flea saliva, your best bet is to repel and Wondercide does just that. I actually make my own spray with cedar oil and a few others mixed in witch hazel and water. I switch between Frontline plus and Advantix II, for the braver of the fleas that will attack the dog even with the repellent and to keep them on their toes with the different chemicals. Sadly, my present dog cannot have either topspot used, it really irritates his skin. As Magwart said, vacuum, then vacuum again and take the waste outside. I also sprayed my yard with a natural clove spray and dusted with diatomaceous earth. I mop my floors with Miracle II soap and cedar oil, as well. I know it seems like overkill on my part, but one severe infestation will make you a loon.

No beast so fierce
Simon 6/2016
EPI, man aggressive, ball crazy, fearless protector, my heart
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 07:22 PM
Crowned Member

What all do you put in that homemade recipe that replaces Wondercide, Unfortnatefoster????
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 11:53 AM

What about a Flee Smoke BOMB after you wash everything. Just need to leave the house for a few hours. Can't have fishes either.. just an idea
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page