Bowl height and bloat - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 05:01 PM
Crowned Member

Deja had a strong swimming session before her colon twisted .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 05:55 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunc View Post
I have had a dog that bloated, it is truly a horrible thing to go through. For the dog and owner.

I carry GasEx or Simethicone with me in my car and my dog's gear bag. If I start to see the discomfort, I will give 2 gas ex tablets immediately. If I see the dry heaving, I am giving Gas Ex and observing. There are no contraindications in dogs with GasEx or Simethicone. Completely safe to give to your dogs and it may just relieve the gas before the bloat occurs. I have done this on a few occasions with my GSD's and they never bloated. I wish I knew this with my first GSD that died from GDV.

So how are you giving the GasEx if the dog is in so much discomfort? Are you able to "pill them"?
post #33 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 09:56 PM

I just grab the dog's muzzle, open it up and drop a pill in. Then I hold the dog's mouth shut and stroke it's neck until it swallows the pill. I've done it before the dry heaving and after. IME, it works.

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance”. George Bernard Shaw

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 10:05 PM
Elite Member

Yes, there are many people I know who keep this handy as a possible remedy to help dogs in the early stages of bloat. So, in my opinion, it must be of some help.
post #35 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 11:52 AM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunc View Post
For those that do not know the signs or symptoms of bloat:
The dog will be in discomfort. This is noticeable and needs to be observed. You may see some unusual body posture and sensitivity to the stomach. The dog may be restless, anxious, panting, uncomfortable, drool, have a roached back. Go off by itself, into a corner of the room. Dry heaving and then distention or enlargement of the abdomen.

Dry heaving or retching, is a huge sign.
That is the main thing that told me something was wrong when Keefer bloated. He had just eaten dinner and a few minutes later he wandered into the room and started retching. I had a couple friends from my flyball club over for dinner and we were just hanging out chatting before dessert. I yelled to my husband that Keef was going to puke so he took him out to the dog run. When they didn't return after a couple of minutes I went out to see what was going on. I asked Tom if he'd puked and he said no. Keef was clearly in distress, pacing a few steps, stopping and trying to throw up, but nothing came out. I knew right then it might be bloat. I walked down to the far end of the run where Keef was and felt his belly, which was tight, and told Tom we needed to take him in.

This was nearly 8:00 on a Sunday night, but fortunately we are less than 5 miles from an emergency vet. I went back inside and told my friends we had to go. If I hadn't been there, Keefer would be dead. While Tom could see he wasn't feeling well he did not recognize it as a life or death emergency and may have taken a wait and see approach until it was too late. And of course, being close enough to an emergency vet clinic that could get their on call surgeon and her team there in time for surgery also saved his life.

If you even have the slightest doubt, take your dog to the vet immediately. Better safe than sorry. Even if it's too late, the outlook for surgery is not good and you decide to euthanize, you'll save your dog much suffering vs waiting.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18 *** Keefer 8/25/05
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page