Grumpy girl, post laproscopic spay - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Grumpy girl, post laproscopic spay

Poor girl. She's always been very vocal, but her sighs and groans are breaking my heart...

The cone of shame was just too much for her. Walking into everything and really stressing herself out. She has shown no interest in licking her stitches so I took it off and am keeping an eye on her. C.o.s. back on if I'm not actively watching her.

Sure am glad the lap spay recovery is fast. The guilt is killing me!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180417_165734_1524009667843.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	495113  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 08:51 PM
Knighted Member

Poor baby! I hope she feels better soon.
Solamar likes this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 09:21 PM
Elite Member

Did they give you tramadol or something for the pain? Laparoscopy is still very painful
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 09:36 PM

I have had laparoscopy done several times. It sounds like she may be handling it better than I did!

I whined and moaned and howled. I even got so grumpy that I snapped at a few people. Bless her heart, it really does hurt.

Word of caution though about pain meds. I had a dobe, Kaliopy, that was pretty active. I could not give her pain meds because once her pain was under control she thought she could just bounce away. I had to let her hurt a little to keep her still. Bella, my mastiff, was the opposite. She was VERY chill, so she could have pain meds without me worrying that she would bounce her stitches out.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hineni7 View Post
Did they give you tramadol or something for the pain? Laparoscopy is still very painful
Robenacoxib. Not sure I can even pronounce that one...
Once a day for six days starting tomorrow.

The six days surprised me because the recovery is supposed to be around two days. Vet said it is also an anti inflammatory.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

I think the cat even feels bad for her. He got snipped almost 20 years ago.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20180417_182937_1524015632748.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	495177  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 09:42 PM
Crowned Member

I like the comfy cones- dogs seem to be less stress about it then the plastic cone. It helped Max when he had surgery. She can lick those stitches open in under three minutes and it is not pretty. The vet would have to be sedate her and she would have to be stitched up again so be ware. Hope she feels better soon!
Solamar likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genalis_mom View Post
I have had laparoscopy done several times. It sounds like she may be handling it better than I did!

I whined and moaned and howled. I even got so grumpy that I snapped at a few people. Bless her heart, it really does hurt.

Word of caution though about pain meds. I had a dobe, Kaliopy, that was pretty active. I could not give her pain meds because once her pain was under control she thought she could just bounce away. I had to let her hurt a little to keep her still. Bella, my mastiff, was the opposite. She was VERY chill, so she could have pain meds without me worrying that she would bounce her stitches out.
Thank you for that insight. She is a very mellow girl. The vet wanted to prescribe a sedative but I didn't think it would be necessary.

She's just sleeping now, will see what tomorrow brings.

Thank you
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny720 View Post
I like the comfy cones- dogs seem to be less stress about it then the plastic cone. It helped Max when he had surgery. She can lick those stitches open in under three minutes and it is not pretty. The vet would have to be sedate her and she would have to be stitched up again so be ware. Hope she feels better soon!
I'm worried about that. Cone stays on if I'm not right by her side.

😁
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

The vet sure did a good job closing her up. Just two small incisions with the laparoscopic spay (one for the camera, the other for the tools). The ovaries were removed and the uterus left in tact.

I just noticed from the picture one of her nipples are missing! I left her home today, will have to investigate...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20180418_064218.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	495241  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page