Help my boy's fur is so weird!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Help my boy's fur is so weird!!

Hey guys, I need some grooming tips or some overall advice. My male gsd who is 16 months old has weird fur along his spine. Iíll try to post pictures later but it looks like his hackles are constantly raised. Like his guard hairs have a curl to them. Itís been this way since he first started getting his adult coat. We thought it would settle once he got older but it hasnít.

His coat also gets dry, dull and dandruffy but doesnít seem to be too itchy because he doesnít constantly try to scratch himself. We feed him a grain free diet, fish oil, coconut oil and a raw egg every other day. Iím not sure what else to do. Is his coat going to stay forever like that? Did we do something that ruined his coat? At first we were using a furminator then we used a slicker and undercoat rake and a rubber brush. Am I not brushing enough? Am I brushing too much? Bathing too much or not enough? Not using the right products? We also use a tea tree and aloe vera shampoo. Even my trainer who has worked with tons of gsds has never seen anything like itÖAny advice would be greatly appreciated. TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 03:37 PM

What’s your main food source for him?

Have you tried only using the wide bristle type brush for a few weeks instead of any of the others? I know the furminators can cause you problems if you aren’t careful.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

He's currently on Nature's Variety Instinct Raw Boost mixed with some wet food.

I haven't used a bristle brush yet. I'll look into getting one.

If the furminator has caused a problem would that problem be permanent. Because we haven't used it in over 5 months and there hasn't been an improvement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 04:25 PM

I wouldn’t think so, but another thing to consider he’s probably not in his full adult coat just yet.

I doubt it’s a diet issue either. That looks like a solid meal plan. You may just have a Mohawk dog..
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 05:04 PM
Master Member

If the outer coat has been damage it could take up to a year for them to shed out and be regrown. While under coat is shed frequently, the coarser outer coat does not shed as frequently and takes longer to regrown. All you can really do is wait and see. I would definitely stop using a furminator since that is likely what caused the coat issue.

If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys I guess we'll just wait and see... I'll still love him even if he has a mohawk lol
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 09:21 PM
Elite Member

I'd love to see a pic.

How often do you bath him? It really shouldn't be necessary unless he's been out playing in the mud or dirty water or something.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 10:22 PM
Crowned Member

Could he be mixed with Rhodesian Ridgeback?
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 10:57 PM
Elite Member

When the furminator first came out I completely furminated my dog and his coat was bizarre for like a year. Long story short, in groomer's term I over stripped his coat and made it grow back in haphazardly and slooowly. And he shed way more in the process.

Me personally, I get best results from brushing like maybe every 10 days and not like aggressively. I don't bathe dogs unless something serious happens lol Even if they get muddy, I crate until dry then just brush them in the yard.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 11:01 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvShepherds View Post
Could he be mixed with Rhodesian Ridgeback?
Even without ridgeback, this can occur - I’ve known a gsd, Doberman, English mastiff and Boston Terrier with it. That said, not sure if the OP is even describing the same thing. It’s basically a cowlick.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!

Last edited by Fodder; 03-28-2018 at 11:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page