grooming essential tools - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 01:31 AM Thread Starter

grooming essential tools

Hi there, my pup is 8 months old and I've been brushing him (almost daily) with a regular brush I got from a pet store ( something like this - https://www.amazon.com/Safari-Bristl...keywords=brush ) and using a Furminator once a week.

He loves his brushing time, but do I need to do anything else with regards to coat care?

Also, the local groomer said they do not do a sanitary trim for GSDs but this boy is Hairy! Thoughts?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 01:39 AM
Master Member

Where are the pictures of the pup? Lol
seattleK likes this.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 02:17 AM
Elite Member

Seattle, that brush is NOT up to the task of keeping a GSD groomed! Remember the nick name for the breed, especially at this time of year, is the German Shedding Dog!

I use three different tools. I have a knock-off Furminator type tool where the head can be switched from a furminator to a rake. You need the rake for areas of the body where the hair is longer, and might have mats, like the neck ruff and the tail and back of the hind legs. The furminator looks after loose hair on the areas of the body where it's shorter. I also have a wire slicker brush that I use at the end of a grooming session to get the undercoat the other two tools have missed.

If you do not get out the loose undercoat as it begins to shed, it will mat. The tools you use need to have long enough prongs to be able to get right down to the skin.
seattleK likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 05:42 AM

I brush both of mine, long haired and stock coat, with a pin brush similar to what you showed. I have a rake for shedding season and sometime I use a basic plastic / rubber comb that we would use on our own hair (but a decent quality one, not a scratchy one). The toughest part of grooming my long coatie is the butt. If you find crap getting stuck there maybe a trim around his hiney would be a good idea. So far I've not had to do that, but I insist that he let me check the underside and back side manually since I can't see under there with all the fur.

And I only do baths when my dogs get stinky. I have a really nice liquid dog soap but once that runs out I might get bar soap. A couple of people have posted that it works better, lathers nicely and is easier to rinse.
seattleK likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 10:58 AM
Crowned Member

I agree that a single-row undercoat rake is essential -- I've spent too much money on too many latest-greatest, new tools, only to go back to the old, well-worn undercoat rake I bought for a few bucks at least 10 years ago.

It's the right tool when they start to blow their coat and get those undercoat tufts that make them look scruffy. Be gentle, and do short sessions several days in a row -- work mats like you're eating a row of corn on the cob, all the way across a narrow row you've chosen, then up and and across the next row, not attacking the whole mat. That way you're separating the mat from the edge, and releasing the old fur. (I'm not a groomer -- I'm just telling you what works for very thick coats and sensitive-skinned dogs.)

For reasons I haven't figured out, the undercoat rakes with two rows of teeth don't work as well as the simple single-row type. I truly don't know why.

I also love having a Kong Zoom Groom around. Or rather, my dogs love having that thing around. You can move it in circles to get surface hair, and every dog seems to think it's a massage once you start on the shoulders. For dogs who aren't fans of brushing, that's the one tool they all like.

I have a Furminator, but I've never been all that impressed with it.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 12:44 PM

Love the zoom groom. Not a fan of the furminator. Itíll tear up a coat.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

My bad Here are some for your viewing pleasure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex1 View Post
Where are the pictures of the pup? Lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20180226121244716.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	241.0 KB
ID:	488497   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20180312_083449.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	274.4 KB
ID:	488505   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20180315_083744.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	312.6 KB
ID:	488513  
CindyMDBecker and ausdland like this.

Last edited by seattleK; 03-16-2018 at 01:29 PM. Reason: images were not showing
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

For those who've used the zoom groom - can I use it in the shower as they show in the video to deshed? Have you done it?
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 03:45 PM

We have a zoom groom in the bathtub at work (Iím a groomer). So, yes. Scrub away!
seattleK likes this.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfaeries View Post
Love the zoom groom. Not a fan of the furminator. Itíll tear up a coat.
I get confused when it comes to the Furminator. So many people will swear that this is the best grooming tool in the universe, then occasionally someone will post that it does more harm than good. I have to wonder at the vastly different opinions of the Furminator.

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

OUR DOGS:
purebred GSD - Sheba
purebred Shih Tzu - Chrissy
mixed Maltese/Scottish Terrier - Bubba
purebred GSD - Chrissy
purebred Toy Poodle - Freeway
purebred Toy Poodle - Benji
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page