Scratching - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
fddlss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 21
Scratching

My 9 YO female has recently started scratching her stomach are (both sides). She would do it occassionaly and I'm not sure if it was the same spot, but now she's doing it more often. I notice it more when she firsts sees me, like after waking up in the morning or when I come back from work. On one side she has like a bump on her skin that a vet said was normal, without much examination. Could it be allergies, boredom? I'm feeding her TOWT with Nupro supplement twice a day. Thank you.
fddlss is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 10:52 AM
Crowned Member
 
Mary Beth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pierre, South Dakota
Posts: 5,129
It could be dry skin. I'd suggest supplementing with:

Liquid Health Naturals K9 Glucosamine I like this because of the aloe which also is good for the skin and digestion
Nordic Naturals Omega 3 for pets
Turmeric (I make the gold paste recipe here Healing Golden Turmeric Paste Recipe For Your Dog) I don't add the pepper since I read that it can sometimes cause stomach issues. Healing Golden Turmeric Paste Recipe For Your Dog
Coconut oil (1 tsp per 10 lbs. of weight)-start slowly with small dose.

Also since the scratching doesn't get to be a habit, try to distract her when she does it.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
Mary Beth is offline  
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
fddlss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 21
Thanks a lot! I will give those a try and see if it improves. What do you think about this Omega 3: https://iheartdogs.com/improve-your-...e-simple-hack/ have you heard about it? Does it sound legit or just a bunch of marketing copy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Beth View Post
It could be dry skin. I'd suggest supplementing with:

Liquid Health Naturals K9 Glucosamine I like this because of the aloe which also is good for the skin and digestion
Nordic Naturals Omega 3 for pets
Turmeric (I make the gold paste recipe here Healing Golden Turmeric Paste Recipe For Your Dog) I don't add the pepper since I read that it can sometimes cause stomach issues. Healing Golden Turmeric Paste Recipe For Your Dog
Coconut oil (1 tsp per 10 lbs. of weight)-start slowly with small dose.

Also since the scratching doesn't get to be a habit, try to distract her when she does it.
fddlss is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 06:14 PM
Crowned Member
 
Mary Beth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pierre, South Dakota
Posts: 5,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by fddlss View Post
Thanks a lot! I will give those a try and see if it improves. What do you think about this Omega 3: https://iheartdogs.com/improve-your-...e-simple-hack/ have you heard about it? Does it sound legit or just a bunch of marketing copy?
I would hesitate because of the flaxmeal oil which can cause skin problems in dogs who are sensitive to it and also all the other ingredients when all I want to pay for in that supplement is fish oil. I also take Nordic Naturals for people and their pet version is the same high quality it just doesn't have the lemon to hide the fish taste. But I do see the advantage in a chew form if the dog refuses the liquid or the gel caps. Currently Baron is on the liquid Nordic Naturals Pet Omega 3 and he laps it up. https://www.nordicnaturals.com/en/Pr...4/?ProdID=1585

This article reviewing fish oil for dogs may also give you further information:

https://www.puppywire.com/fish-oil-supplement/

And these articles on are Iheartdogs.com:

https://www.sitejabber.com/reviews/iheartdogs.com

https://www.complaintsboard.com/byur...tdogs.com.html


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
Mary Beth is offline  
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
fddlss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Beth View Post
I would hesitate because of the flaxmeal oil which can cause skin problems in dogs who are sensitive to it and also all the other ingredients when all I want to pay for in that supplement is fish oil. I also take Nordic Naturals for people and their pet version is the same high quality it just doesn't have the lemon to hide the fish taste. But I do see the advantage in a chew form if the dog refuses the liquid or the gel caps. Currently Baron is on the liquid Nordic Naturals Pet Omega 3 and he laps it up. https://www.nordicnaturals.com/en/Pr...4/?ProdID=1585

This article reviewing fish oil for dogs may also give you further information:

https://www.puppywire.com/fish-oil-supplement/

And these articles on are Iheartdogs.com:

https://www.sitejabber.com/reviews/iheartdogs.com

https://www.complaintsboard.com/byur...tdogs.com.html
Thanks, again!
fddlss is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome