What's the scoop on petplan? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Magwart

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

What's the scoop on petplan?

Hi there,
Does anyone here use PetPlan insurance and what's your opinion on it? We had Nationwide for Gandalf and got seriously burned... they covered 0% and were difficult to get a hold of at best. Now that Gandalf is healed and healthy i'm looking for new insurance. He has a preexisting condition of allergies and stomach issues and he is over a year now. Is there a company you prefer and why?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Is healthy paws better?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 09:13 PM
The Friendly Neighborhood Witch Mod

Iíve been really happy with Healthy Paws so far.

Train the dog in front of you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyGhost View Post
Iíve been really happy with Healthy Paws so far.
Awesome! Have you had to submit claim yet? How quick were they to get back to you?

SQUIRREL!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 09:46 PM
The Friendly Neighborhood Witch Mod

I have had to submit a few claims, yes. They have been reasonably quick with the checks. Iíve had to submit for a broken tooth, a skin infection and routine chiro adjustments. No issues. I like how easy it is to submit claims with them. They have an app and you just submit a picture of your invoice, and they take it from there. They donít cover the vet exam fee, any sort of vaccines, flea and tick or heartworm preventatives, but their monthly premium is completely reasonable. I have Trupanion on my other dog (and had it on my senior when she was still with us). I really like that insurance, but it is very expensive and they have raised our rates nearly 20 percent every year. I wouldnít recommend them just because of that. The cost becomes unreasonable very quickly. I would switch my boy onto Healthy Paws if he didnít have so many pre-existing conditions.

Train the dog in front of you.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 11:19 PM
Crowned Member

I have HP and they were quick to pay, sometimes within two weeks. They also paid weekly ortho treatment for a previous dog. The new pup goes on it as well.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 10:58 AM
Crowned Member

Definitely HP! I was a PP customer, and I changed ALL my dogs over to HP, even the one with some pre-existing arthritis (b/c I'd rather have that excluded than deal with Pet Plan -- my experience with them wasn't good).

PP changed underwriters about a year or two ago. IGNORE all reviews that predate that change -- it's a totally different experience with the new underwriter.

PP jacked our rates up by more than 20% every year. Their business model seemed like it was to give a low first-year rate to reel customers in, then increase it quickly. Then when the new underwriter took over, the policy cost would have more than doubled for far worse coverage. One recent review I saw suggested they may even be shifting to usual-and-customary reimbursements -- which is totally unacceptable in any policy (that clause allows them to pay a small fraction of the actual bill based on some arbitrary fee scale that is far below what any vet would charge for that procedure).

By contrast, HP has been great so far. They paid a $2,000 major tooth injury claim (requiring surgery by vet dentist) without a hitch. They're also covering Adequan for hips on one of my dogs that was enrolled before hips could be an exclusion. They pay whether my vet clinic gives the shot or we order the vials of meds through an online pharmacy. The online claim process is very easy. I get a check about 2-3 weeks after submitting it, or closer to 2 weeks if I opt for direct deposit. They also have good, knowledgeable, helpful staff on the phone for questions, and they even called me a few weeks after my major claim to check in and see how my dog was doing -- VERY nice touch as marketing goes.

Make sure you understand HP's reimbursement formula, so you aren't mad the first time you submit a claim: office visit fees aren't covered (but meds, diagnostics, surgeries, therapies, and everything else would be).

If you need an HP discount code, send me a PM -- we have one for rescue "friends & family" that we're allowed to give out that translates to a 10% discount for life, and a small donation to breed rescue for each new policy. It's a referral code, so I don't think I can post it, but I can PM it.

Last edited by Magwart; 02-26-2018 at 11:09 AM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
Definitely HP! I was a PP customer, and I changed ALL my dogs over to HP, even the one with some pre-existing arthritis (b/c I'd rather have that excluded than deal with Pet Plan -- my experience with them wasn't good).

PP change underwriters about a year or so ago. IGNORE all reviews that predate that change -- it's a totally different experience with the new underwriter.

PP jacked our rates up by more than 20% every year. Their business model seemed like it was to give a low first-year rate to reel customers in, then increase it quickly. Then when the new underwriter took over, the policy cost would have more than doubled for far worse coverage. One recent review I saw suggested they may even be shifting to usual-and-customary reimbursements -- which is totally unacceptable in any policy (that clause allows them to pay a small fraction of the actual bill based on some arbitrary fee scale that is far below what any vet would charge for that procedure).

By contrast, HP has been great so far. They paid a $2,000 major tooth injury claim (requiring surgery by vet dentist) without a hitch. They're also covering Adequan for hips on one of my dogs that was enrolled before hips could be an exclusion. They pay whether my vet clinic gives the shot or we order the vials of meds through an online pharmacy. The online claim process is very easy. I get a check about 2-3 weeks after submitting it, or closer to 2 weeks if I opt for direct deposit. They also have good, knowledgeable, helpful staff on the phone for questions, and they even called me a few weeks after my major claim to check in and see how my dog was doing -- VERY nice touch!

Make sure you understand HP's reimbursement formula, so you aren't mad the first time you submit a claim: office visit fees aren't covered (but meds, diagnostics, surgeries, therapies, and everything else would be).

If you need an HP discount code, send me a PM -- we have one for rescue "friends & family" that we're allowed to give out that translates to a 10% discount for life, and a small donation to breed rescue for each new policy. It's a referral code, so I don't think I can post it, but I can PM it.

Thank you for your input everyone! We used Petplan in the past and they were good but that was prior to the new change, my last dog had his hemangiosarcoma removal done which was a couple thousand and they paid up quickly and it wasn't difficult to submit our claim... the reason we went with Nationwide instead with Gandalf was because my husbands work had a deal with nationwide and gave us a large discount.. Husband wanted to go with the cheaper option so we got burned . Nationwide is so slimy... paying companies to endorse them, visiting the vets & bribing , etc.. I think we will go with Healthy paws this time around. I am curious to see how they handle Gandalfs preexisting conditions, sounds like you had a good experience with preexisting problems. How quickly does HP take effect? Do they have a month waiting period?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 11:15 AM
Crowned Member

All companies exclude pre-existing conditions. ALL. No waiting period will cover them with any company I've ever seen, and I read their fine print. Changing plans generally means losing coverage for those issues.

They have a waiting period on hips (a year), but that's assuming NO SYMPTOMS manifested, not just no diagnosis. I had my vet document in the annual exam notes that the hips appear normal, so if issues came up later, they'd be covered.

The only marginal situation is something like an ear infection that was treated and cleared up, and then the dog gets another one a few years later. HP will pay that, as long as the record shows the prior one actually was fully healed. If it's a chronic ear infection that never quite went away, then it would be excluded by all companies as a continuation of the first one, prior to coverage.

Last edited by Magwart; 02-26-2018 at 11:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page