Activity after bitch spay - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Twyla

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Activity after bitch spay

Hello! Hopefully this is the right section, Im new to the forums!

Weve just had our bitch spayed and the advice from the vets is obviously to not let her jump up on things or people. Im finding this much easier said than done, even when keeping an eagle eye on her. How damaging will intermittent jumping be at the times I cant stop her? Whats the best way to stop her jumping?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 12:48 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla
The damage is ripped stitches. How bad that could be depends on events at the time - could be anywhere from a single stitch to an emergency. Best way to avoid the jumping is keeping brain busy and/or crated. Knucklebones, toys (j&w is my fav for toughest) for the crate. Have her on a drag leash when out of the crate - it can be stepped on as a quick way to keep 4 on the floor.
Nurse Bishop likes this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 04:45 PM
Crowned Member

Don't mess with it. My dog just had a retained testicle out and had 2 weeks of solid rest. Vet said he could have a hernia or worse if he acted a fool.

He went from crate to ex pen, potty on leash incl. prong collar as necessary when he started feeling better and wanting to freak out. We survived. it was unpleasant for everyone. But he healed great and it's over.

Vet said do this right or your two week recovery will be two months or worse, so I did as we were told.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 04:46 PM
Crowned Member

he slept in the ex pen, much to his dismay, because our bed is too high and. I knew he would hop in and out because he usually sleeps with us. He was pretty bummed when I put him in there every night but....necessary evil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page