Chuck it at 7 mo? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bramble

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Chuck it at 7 mo?

So I was reading another thread regarding biking a 6 mo pup. The responses got me worried and I did not want to hijack his thread.

With the nicer weather we've had the past few days, I've been bringing my 7 mo over to the dike near my house where he can be off leash and using his chuck it for fetch. It goes pretty far and he runs full out to chase it. Usually lasts about 10-15 mins before he slows down coming back and we stop. This is on grass. Is this an issue??

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 06:06 PM
Elite Member

It was for my pup as she came to a grinding halt from a full run. It's a whole lot better if the ball lands (tall grass?) where he can't see it and has to find it.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 06:22 PM
Master Member

I consider fetch, chuck it, ect... to be forced exercise. A highly driven dog will chase a ball until they physically no longer can. They are also not always very careful and will stop and turn suddenly, which is hard on growing joints. Also as a dog gets tired they get sloppy and less precise about how they move and are more likely to be injured.

I do play fetch with my dog as a reward during training, but I no longer use it to exercise them. If you watch an dog off leash doing their own thing you will rarely if ever see them running full speed in one direction, stopping suddenly and racing away again at top speed. If they are running at full speed they tend to do big looping turns and don't keep running at full speed for very long.
wolfy dog likes this.

If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramble View Post
I consider fetch, chuck it, ect... to be forced exercise. A highly driven dog will chase a ball until they physically no longer can. They are also not always very careful and will stop and turn suddenly, which is hard on growing joints. Also as a dog gets tired they get sloppy and less precise about how they move and are more likely to be injured.

I do play fetch with my dog as a reward during training, but I no longer use it to exercise them. If you watch an dog off leash doing their own thing you will rarely if ever see them running full speed in one direction, stopping suddenly and racing away again at top speed. If they are running at full speed they tend to do big looping turns and don't keep running at full speed for very long.
Good to know!

How do you exercise them? (at this age)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 08:59 PM
Master Member

I try to roll the ball on the ground if I'm throwing on dirt. My pup is still a little wonky even at 6mos and doesn't have the full coordination to be as crazy as the in-law's border collie
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 12:33 AM
Crowned Member

I release the dog after the ball lies still in tall grass to prevent the sliding stop with possible injury as a result. I throw the ball with the Chuck It about 5 times only or else she will overheat and she is 4 years old. For my dogs: no intense running before full maturity with biking and the Chuck It.
I also don't do the flirt pole anymore after I saw how intense WD responded to it and the turns became dangerously sharp and fast. I never use a Frisbee either to prevent jumping and body twists in mid air.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 12:55 AM Thread Starter

All very good info. Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page