6 month -- exercise? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

6 month -- exercise?

Hey erveyone,

Ghost just turned 6 months, and i got a bicycle to bike around the neighborhood and also in an effort to get his energy out every day... its a much cleaner alternative than the dog park sometimes!!!!!

So far, we've been going everyday, for about 30-40 minutes, between 3-4 miles... gentle trots with a few full sprints mixed in...

He gets home, pooped... drinks water then pants for several minutes then relaxes....

Is the appropriate for him?

Ghost -- All white GSD/Husky, rescued at 21 weeks, weighing 36 pounds, 1-9-18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 03:42 PM
Crowned Member

Not at all. You are putting his health at risk. Find more gentler ways to get him "pooped" by adding mental stimulation. You want him content, not "pooped" at this age. I am glad you asked though. No biking for my dogs until they are two years old and solid structure.
dogbyte, tc68 and Bramble like this.

Last edited by wolfy dog; 02-19-2018 at 03:45 PM.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 04:22 PM
Master Member

At 6 months...all that running at that young age could be damaging to your pup's joints especially in a breed like GSDs where hips and elbows are so important. Wait until he's full grown and mature. Right now he's still growing. Because at 2 years old that's when they get their hips and elbows tested, if you're planning to breed it. Even if you're not planning to breed it, wait. Find other ways to tire him out. Running when they're in the house or in the yard is one thing. Running because you're "forcing" them to keep up with your bike riding is another thing. This is from personal experience. I made that mistake with my first pup years ago. When he got older, the cartilage on his joints were all worn down, which eventually caused the head on 1 of the femurs to break. He could no longer walk stairs and jump into cars anymore. My suggestion...I wouldn't run him like that anymore until he's fully grown.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 04:27 PM
Knighted Member

My puppy ran or trotted that far on a daily basis, so it's not, IMHO, the distance that's a potential problem. It's the surfaces that your pup is running on. If your bike is a mountain bike and you're riding on trails out in the bush somewhere, it would likely be fine. But if you're consistently running your puppy that distance on hard surfaces it's not a safe way for you to exercise him.
Shane'sDad likes this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

Ill cut back his run IMMEDIATELY AND SUBSTANTIALLY... Thanks for the replies.

Its just he really gets big spurts of energy and this was a way to release it. i dont go biking, i bike him, i go at his pace...

I never tug on him, or make him keep up. he trots at his pace... as we leave the garage he actually pulls the bike for about 1/4 mile, then he wants a mild sprint before going into a dog trot the rest of the way....

ill cut it down to about 15-20 minute ride just to let him get his burst out then return home... no more treks for 2+ miles...

Should be good on that right?

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 10:34 AM
Crowned Member

I would suggest no biking at all until you have the OK from a vet who knows these dogs. Please take the advice given by all here. You have many years ahead as long as he is sound and it is your responsibility to keep him sound as best as you can. Why hurry this young dog? Why does he need to get so tired? is his energy too much for you? It comes with the breed. Free play on a walk (when you walk) is much better or find a compatible play mate for him.
tc68 and Bramble like this.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

You guys must think im speed cycling and pulling him to keep up... thats how you're making me feel.

Hes the one going at his own pace and im following him, i just guide his path through the neighborhood...

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 12:51 PM
Master Member

Young puppies joints are not done forming at 6 months. Damage done now will have life long consequences. Forced exercise and exercise on man made surfaces is not good for growing joints. HD and ED can be caused by over exercise not just genetics. You may not be dragging him but going in a straight line, at a set pace, on a hard surface is not natural. Go watch dogs off leash out in nature. They constantly change pace, direction, and speed, and using a variety of muscles to accomplish those tasks vs. trotting along side a bike which uses a

Exercise is not a replacement for actual training. A tired dog is just that, a tired dog, not a well trained dog. Once they rest up all those unwanted behaviors are still there.

My main exercise for puppies and adult dogs is off leash walks in nature. The dog sets the pace and gets to do what they want. With young puppies I may just walk out and sit in a field and let them explore. They get not just physical exercise, but mental stimulation as well which satisfies both body and mind.
tc68 and wolfy dog like this.

If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramble View Post
Young puppies joints are not done forming at 6 months. Damage done now will have life long consequences. Forced exercise and exercise on man made surfaces is not good for growing joints. HD and ED can be caused by over exercise not just genetics. You may not be dragging him but going in a straight line, at a set pace, on a hard surface is not natural. Go watch dogs off leash out in nature. They constantly change pace, direction, and speed, and using a variety of muscles to accomplish those tasks vs. trotting along side a bike which uses a

Exercise is not a replacement for actual training. A tired dog is just that, a tired dog, not a well trained dog. Once they rest up all those unwanted behaviors are still there.

My main exercise for puppies and adult dogs is off leash walks in nature. The dog sets the pace and gets to do what they want. With young puppies I may just walk out and sit in a field and let them explore. They get not just physical exercise, but mental stimulation as well which satisfies both body and mind.
I like those last few ideas...

and dog parks are a green light for that reason i hope? i mean, when other dogs are there, they run and wrestle.... this ok?

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 02:45 PM
Master Member

I hope you understand that we're not criticizing you. We're just offering some sound advice because you asked. When you buy GSD puppies, normally the ads will say parents have "good hips and elbows" or they're "hips and elbows certified." And the puppies that are sold, should come with hips and elbows guarantees. This implies that hips and elbows can be a big problem with GSDs (usually all large sized dogs). We're just trying to help you avoid these problems in the future by protecting your growing pup now...keyword growing. Some of us have had bad experiences, like me. I didn't have the benefit of anyone giving me advice when I had my puppy years ago. I also ran my puppy a lot to get his excess energy out like you. Can you imagine having to carry a 100lb dog up and down stairs and into the car, many times a day, sometimes in the middle of the night when you're half awake? Or your dog doesn't want to go for a walk and do his business and instead defecates in the house because it's too painful to walk outside? Not to mention pain medication, inflammation medication, joint supplements, arthritis, hip support slings, etc. etc. etc. That's what I had to deal with at the end of his life because I didn't take better care of him and his joints when he was younger. I learned my lesson. I will take the advice of my new breeder and not run (hard) my new pup until he's at least 2. I plan to have his hips and elbows tested and certified then. Anyway, good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page