Best way to take pills or powders? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Best way to take pills or powders?

How do you give your dog powder or pills? I've been mixing powders (probiotics and perfect form) with pumpkin but its becoming time consuming. When I sprinkle it on his food it ends up at the bottom of the bowl. I've been giving him his pill in peanut butter but I can't imagine all that sugar is good for him. I've been avoiding cream cheese b/c he has a beef allergy. I haven't tried the pill pockets, are those okay?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 09:22 AM

you can get peanut butter with no sugar, just peanuts and salt. It is messy but once you get it all shaken or stirred up, store it in the fridge and it tends to stay mixed.

I have also use liverwurst. But since your dog can't have beef, that won't work. You can see if you deli has a chicken pattai or all pork liverwurst.

If your pooch can't have beef I don't know about cream cheese. But since dogs typically don't do milk well, I'd save cream cheese for really rare occasions.
VTBunny likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 09:47 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTBunny View Post
I've been avoiding cream cheese b/c he has a beef allergy.
Not matter what you do, it's going to be messy. I mix in vitamins every day for Seger in ground veges and then dump kefir on it. The powders from the vitamins mix in well and it takes only seconds to do.

That little bit of sugar in the peanut butter is not going to hurt him.

I generally give a pill in the middle of raw ground beef. You could try ground turkey or chicken. But personally, I would stick with the peanut butter.

I would question whether a beef allergy translates to a milk allergy. I think there are different enzymes in milk than beef. You could google that or ask on teh K9 Kitchen facebook page.
VTBunny and camperbc like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 09:55 AM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by car2ner View Post
you can get peanut butter with no sugar, just peanuts and salt.
Definitely get the "natural" kind of peanut butter, without sugar. Some PB has xylitol, a sugar substitute that's toxic for dogs, so you need to be really careful about that. But PB doesn't need sugar anyway, so go for the peanuts and salt variety.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 10:48 AM
Master Member

With powder, mix with into something wet. It'll stick

I usually had pills. I found it was just easier to push it as far down her throat as I could, then lightly hold her mouth closed. Same thing with liquid meds too
IllinoisNative and Sunsilver like this.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 11:01 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTBunny View Post
How do you give your dog powder or pills? I've been mixing powders (probiotics and perfect form) with pumpkin but its becoming time consuming. When I sprinkle it on his food it ends up at the bottom of the bowl. I've been giving him his pill in peanut butter but I can't imagine all that sugar is good for him. I've been avoiding cream cheese b/c he has a beef allergy. I haven't tried the pill pockets, are those okay?
I taught the dogs to catch small treats tossed to them. I throw them quickly so the normal response is catch and swallow. Two or three in I toss the pill then another treat. Never had them spit one out.
Powder mixes well with raw egg, or fish oil, or hamburger grease, or pork fat. You get the idea.
To give meds by hand I sit the dogs in front of me with their back against my legs, put one hand under the chin, insert meds through the corner of the mouth while gently tipping the dogs head upward. Hold the muzzle up and gently stroke the throat until you get a couple of swallows. Takes a bit of practice, and you need to get the meds as far back in the throat as possible.
Cheez Whiz works well also. The tiny amount needed should not pose an issue.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 11:17 AM

We have found that the best way to administer pills is to cut a small cube of cheese, then use a pointy knife (like a steak knife) to "drill" a small hole in the cube to insert the pill. Once the pill is in place, then use the "shavings" from your drilling to patch the cube's hole, so that it will look like just an innocent chunk of cheese. We have always done this for our Chrissy, and she has yet to learn that there is any extra ingredients in her cheese, as she just swallows it right down without chewing. It's the only method that works on her, as with every other way she has always discovered the hidden surprise and spits it out!

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

OUR DOGS:
purebred GSD - Sheba
purebred Shih Tzu - Chrissy
mixed Maltese/Scottish Terrier - Bubba
purebred GSD - Chrissy
purebred Toy Poodle - Freeway
purebred Toy Poodle - Benji
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 12:00 PM
Elite Member

I count myself lucky that none of my dogs have an issue with pills. I just put them in with their kibble, and down the hatch they go!

Over the years, though, I have mastered the 'ram it down the throat' technique. I don't try putting it through the side of the mouth, though - just pry the mouth open as far as I can, and put it as far back in the throat as I can reach.

Once I was giving multiple dewormer tablets to my male. I wrapped them in a piece of chicken thigh, after removing the bone. One fell out as he was eating it. He sniffed the tablet, then licked it up and swallowed it down!

This was the same dog, that if you put ONE piece of broccoli in with his kibble, he'd leave the broccoli in the bottom of his bowl.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 12:05 PM
Crowned Member

I take two pieces of deli meat. One with the meds folded into it and the other plain. By that time the dog is interested by the smell. I ask for a sit to show the dog he gets a reward for it as if it were an obedience exercise. Offer him the meds-containing piece while holding the plain one a little higher. They focus on that one and quickly eat the meds-containing piece to make sure he gets both. This has always worked with multiple dogs present but also the dog by himself.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 12:09 PM
Crowned Member

apples are a food that acts as a prebiotic, setting up the gut to process the probiotics. Why not mix in some sugar free apple sauce?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page