German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Basic Care (https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/basic-care/)
-   -   Ovariectomy...opinions? (https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/basic-care/730578-ovariectomy-opinions.html)

annie827 02-03-2018 04:06 PM

Ovariectomy...opinions?

I meant ovariectomy...oops
just wondering...pros and cons of removing just the ovaries opposed to complete hysterectomy or ovary sparing. What I have read, so far, is that it just makes for a quicker recovery, smaller incision and less pain.
Very confusing with these new spay options out there!
Would appreciate any other info.

Jenny720 02-03-2018 04:57 PM

379 Attachment(s)
Yes it is alot to think about. Studies show hormones are beneficial to health. In people who need hysterectomies they opt to keep the ovaries if possible. I have heard it was not to long ago they use to take everything out. There is a Facebook page about keeping the ovaries.
https://m.facebook.com/groups/altern...98212070264181

Nurse Bishop 02-03-2018 05:47 PM

Yet the hormone cycle is different in woman than in bitches. It seems to me that neutering a male dog and loss of testosterone is more of a change for them than spaying a female as far as behaviour goes. Bitches only get funny, like with PMS, or extreme clingyness, or more reactive and emotional twice a year and for for a short time. I think having hormones while the young dog is growing is beneficial, sure. I notice that male police and military dogs (not drug and bomb sniffers) are almost never neutered while bitches almost always are done with ovariohysterectomy.

I had them left in me. But my new gyno says Why? All they will do is have a chance to get ovarian cancer. Now I have to take estrogen anyway (my choice).

annie827 02-03-2018 06:12 PM

Thank you! Will check out the link

annie827 02-03-2018 06:14 PM

I ended up having everything out. Wish I kept the ovaries. The decisions are so very hard to make
Thank you

Jenny720 02-03-2018 06:38 PM

379 Attachment(s)
Iím struggling the same question with Luna. I had talked to a few vets and they do not do it but I can travel. Not an easy decision still reading about it. If I do decide to do the complete spay I will wait till Luna is a bit older she is only 1 years old so I have time and will be just as unsure!

annie827 02-03-2018 07:03 PM

Jenny, the more that Iím researching, it appears that taking just the ovaries is the same as a full hysterectomy and the benefit is a quicker recovery time, smaller incision and less pain. I canít find anything negative written.
I have time also so I guess Iíll just keep researching 😱

Jenny720 02-03-2018 07:52 PM

379 Attachment(s)
Yes I donít know much about a ovariectomy. I will have to research that myself. The full spayís dogs recover remarkably fast- 10 days. I did have many females spayed early that lived long healthy lives. I do know hormones are beneficial. I wonder if itís like the oss where stump pyo can be a concern if all not removed.

Nurse Bishop 02-03-2018 08:40 PM

If the uterus is left but without heat periods from no ovaries can there still be risk of pyometra?

wolfy dog 02-03-2018 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop (Post 8895026)
If the uterus is left but without heat periods from no ovaries can there still be risk of pyometra?

I was told "No" because you take away the hormones. I think it is similar than a full spay, hormone-wise. I wonder if the uterus saving surgery has less side effects than the ovary sparing one especially at a later age. (Deja is 4 years old). It seems with humans that the uterus helps support the internal organs. Not sure if this translates to dogs as well.