Ovariectomy...opinions? - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
Since they retain their hormones they will go into heat and are attractive to males.The only benefit is that she won't bleed. My vet said that the left "uterus stump" can stil get infected and if she were to mate, it can cause vaginal injury due to the altered tissue. These considerations made me decide for a full spay but it is a personal decision of course.
My earlier fear of urinary incontinence due to a full spay was eased by a retired vet whose experience in this regard was more an issue with Rottweilers and Dobermanns and not so much with our beauties.
Really? I've seen dogs of all shapes, sizes, and breeds with urinary incontinence due to spay. I wasn't aware it much to do with specific breeds. One of them I just saw recently being rehomed I think was a GSD/herding breed mix. I know the age of spay can definitely play apart. If it's more prevalent in rotties/Dobermans that would indicate an underlying issue in the breed to me which could be interesting.

Edit:

https://www.merck-animal-health-usa.com/dp/49

Just glanced at this article and something popped out at me that I hadn't considered. I do know that improperly docked tails can cause urinary incontinence as the nerves that come out of the spine that help to control the bladder come out toward the base of the tail. Hence why people can urinate themselves if they hit their tailbones hard enough. So this wouldn't be spay incontince or perhaps improper docking combined with spay gives them a higher chance. If he had issues with it with dogs he personally docked he could've been cutting tails too short. If it's the breed in general though that would be my first guess. And interestingly enough GSDs are on the increased risk list with docked tail breeds.

Last edited by Kazel; 01-05-2019 at 02:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 02:07 PM
Crowned Member

Thank you Jenny. There is one within driving distance if I need it.
post #33 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 02:08 PM
Crowned Member

I think she mentioned is what the vet saw- their experience. Some vets are familiar with a certain breed and patients do flock to those vets. I do not believe it’s breed specific but do wonder if it is genetic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 02:09 PM
Crowned Member

Luvshepherds-Awesome! I’m glad you found someone!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page