Ovariectomy...opinions? - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Omg Mei! Iím so sorry for not getting back to you. I havenít been on the computer for a while.
Iím sure that you already spayed you pup, but in case you havenít yet...
I did do the ovary sparing. I liked the fact that she will keep her hormones and eliminate, or reduce the certain cancers and joint problems that may have occurred. She did well. A quick recovery, and discomfort for one night.
My other girl had the conventional spay and did very well also. She lived till 13 years with no major problems.
Who knows...either way I think it comes down to a personal decision. 😁

Peppa - (GSD) 6/08/2017
Annie - (GSD) - 8/27/04 - 4/24/2017 R.I.P.
Cody - 11/10/09
Rest in Peace - Cujo - (Pit bull)) - 4/28/97 - 9/17/08 You are always in our hearts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 11:14 PM
Crowned Member

I was planning on maybe a partial spay but her last heat was weird: undefined start and bleeding for more than three weeks. Her moods were over the top as well, compared to previous heats. She is 5 years old and will be fully spayed in a few months. I also don't want to worry about pyo anymore.
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 02:11 AM

I got my female Indian Pariah undergo a uterus removal (hystrectomy?) 4 years ago or so when she was about 1 year old and my male GSD was 6 months
The recovery took a week and a half - I would gladly recommend a procedure that keeps the hormones intact
The only downside is that the household gets somewhat unmanageable for brief period when she comes in heat but I can live with that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 11:32 PM
Mei
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie827 View Post
Omg Mei! I’m so sorry for not getting back to you. I haven’t been on the computer for a while.
I’m sure that you already spayed you pup, but in case you haven’t yet...
I did do the ovary sparing. I liked the fact that she will keep her hormones and eliminate, or reduce the certain cancers and joint problems that may have occurred. She did well. A quick recovery, and discomfort for one night.
My other girl had the conventional spay and did very well also. She lived till 13 years with no major problems.
Who knows...either way I think it comes down to a personal decision. 😁
Hey, thanks! No, she's just about to hit a year old in a couple weeks, so she's still intact. I'm not planning on doing any procedure until shes at least two years. Her first heat came at like 6 or 7 months and wasn't as bad as I thought it would be!

So you did ovarian spare? You, and the girl of course, like the results? Does she still go into heat with this procedure? I still got a lot of research to do!

Mei - DOB 1/15/2018
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 12:15 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mei View Post
Does she still go into heat with this procedure? I still got a lot of research to do!
Since they retain their hormones they will go into heat and are attractive to males.The only benefit is that she won't bleed. My vet said that the left "uterus stump" can stil get infected and if she were to mate, it can cause vaginal injury due to the altered tissue. These considerations made me decide for a full spay but it is a personal decision of course.
My earlier fear of urinary incontinence due to a full spay was eased by a retired vet whose experience in this regard was more an issue with Rottweilers and Dobermanns and not so much with our beauties.
Mei likes this.

Last edited by wolfy dog; 01-05-2019 at 12:19 PM.
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 12:16 PM
Crowned Member

What Wolfy dog said and again personal decision.
Mei likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 12:19 PM
Crowned Member

My vet doesnít do them. How do you find one that does? Not that I need it any time soon. My male is intact and they donít do vasectomies in male dogs either.
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 12:54 PM
Crowned Member

I know there is a Facebook page on ovariectomy that can direct you to a vet often it entails traveling. You do want to go to a vet you trust and highly recommended. People may have some recommendations you can look into and research.

Last edited by Jenny720; 01-05-2019 at 12:58 PM.
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 12:57 PM
Crowned Member

https://m.facebook.com/groups/altern...der&view=group

post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 01:01 PM
Crowned Member

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1..._4/mobilebasic

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page