Ovariectomy...opinions? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

I believe with the ovary sparing, that they can still go through some kind of a heat cycle and if they are around an intact male, there can be problems. If you donít want to contend with that, I think taking the ovaries would be a better choice. There is no risk for pyo once the ovaries are gone.
Similar to a full spay but with less recovery and pain.
I was talking to my vet and she mentioned something about having less thyroid problems also. I didnít get into it that much but will definitely go over everything in detail when Iím ready to spay

Peppa - (GSD) 6/08/2017
Annie - (GSD) - 8/27/04 - 4/24/2017 R.I.P.
Cody - 11/10/09
Rest in Peace - Cujo - (Pit bull)) - 4/28/97 - 9/17/08 You are always in our hearts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 01:18 PM
Crowned Member

Yes no risk of pyo once the ovaries were gone yes. My concern and what I was questioning -if there are the same risks if ovarian tissue is left behind as their is still risk of stump pyo if uterine tissue is left behind in ovary sparing spays. I suppose you would have to really trust your vet. I know skilled surgeons and laser surgery makes a world of a difference even if for a full spay.
annie827 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jenny720; 02-04-2018 at 01:20 PM.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 01:51 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny720 View Post
Yes no risk of pyo once the ovaries were gone yes. My concern and what I was questioning -if there are the same risks if ovarian tissue is left behind as their is still risk of stump pyo if uterine tissue is left behind in ovary sparing spays. I suppose you would have to really trust your vet. I know skilled surgeons and laser surgery makes a world of a difference even if for a full spay.
Yes, the stump can still cause a Pyo so that in itself is not a reassurance for me. Also being bred (no risk for pregnancy) can cause injury because of the changes needed for that kind of surgery according to my vet. I don't recall the details regarding the 'why'.
I will see how it plays out with the male pup if he grows up. If it is do-able, I will leave her intact, possibly board her at the breeder during her heat,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 02:07 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny720 View Post
Yes, the stump can still cause a Pyo so that in itself is not a reassurance for me. Also being bred (no risk for pregnancy) can cause injury because of the changes needed for that kind of surgery according to my vet. I don't recall the details regarding the 'why'.
I will see how it plays out with the male pup if he grows up. If it is do-able, I will leave her intact, possibly board her at the breeder during her heat,
No not very reassuring. A relative has boxers a intact male and female the breeder lives around the block so they board her at the breeders when the female is in heat. Which works out great that way. They also get to board the dogs when they go away so equally lucky!

Last edited by Jenny720; 02-04-2018 at 02:17 PM.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Very good points being shared. I know that in the UK, all spays are done with removing only the ovaries. Iíve read that when this person from the UK brought his dog to the US, his vet told him that his dog was not spayed. He explained that this was how we, in the UK, do it.
So, I presume that this is a very new procedure that many vets are not familiar with. I know that the uterine sparing is becoming very popular among vets but I think I would have more concerns about that procedure opposed to the ovary removal.
Decision, decisions!! Iím leaning towards the removal of ovaries with the conversation of concern about leaving any ovarian tissue behind.
Thank you all for your input 😊 Very informative.

Peppa - (GSD) 6/08/2017
Cody - 11/10/09
Rest in Peace - Cujo - (Pit bull)) - 4/28/97 - 9/17/08 You are always in our hearts
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 04:25 PM

I had to google to see what you were talking about. In the UK it's often called by a different name and can only be done for bitches over a certain weight (which is all GSD's ) and not all vets do it. My girl had what we refer to here a 'Lap Spay', 3 months after her first heat. Small wounds, very little recovery time which was great for my 'busy' pup. In fact apart from a shaved stomach and a check up after a week, you wouldn't know she had had it. A more expensive option here but for us it was worth it.
annie827 likes this.
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Sorry, thatís what I get for reading 1 article..canít find much about this.
Iím glad to hear that she did so well! Will probably do the same with my girl 🙂

Peppa - (GSD) 6/08/2017
Cody - 11/10/09
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie827 View Post
Jenny, the more that Iím researching, it appears that taking just the ovaries is the same as a full hysterectomy and the benefit is a quicker recovery time, smaller incision and less pain. I canít find anything negative written.
I have time also so I guess Iíll just keep researching 😱
I'm also researching this (will spay my girl in March) and agree that a Laparoscopic Spay's (Ovariectomy) main advantages is a much less invasive surgery, less pain and quicker recovery.

Looks like in my area I have three common options -

Low Cost Spay, full hysterectomy - less than $100 - Often very experienced/capable vets that are able to perform the surgery FAST. Typically a non-monitored anesthesia, no pre-surgery blood work. Problems might get missed.

Full Service Vet, full hysterectomy - $400-$700 - Pre-op blood work to look for possible issues and select best anesthesia. Will probably monitor vitals during surgery. Most likely use an IV for fluids. And hopefully catch any problems early.

Laparoscopic Spay, Ovariectomy - $700-$1200 - less invasive surgery, less pain and quicker recovery

Still not sure what to do, but leaning towards Ovariectiomy.
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Solamar, I agree. I think, though itís a little pricey, itís worth it.
IMO, I wouldnít do any surgery without a blood workup. You just never know if thereís something going on, and I canít believe that they would not monitor while under anesthesia!
Iíll be speaking to my vet on Thursday to pick her brains. If all sounds good, Iíll be scheduling in 2 weeks. I canít research any longer....Iím going blind! Lol
Wishing you luck in whatever you decide 😊
Solamar likes this.

Peppa - (GSD) 6/08/2017
Cody - 11/10/09
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 11:18 AM
Mei
Master Member

@annie827 What did you end up doing? I'm curious and have been researching as well. If you have any good links that would be great. I have a lot of time to make a decision still, Mei is only 5 months.

Mei - DOB 1/15/2018
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page