Baths, shampoo... - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Baths, shampoo...

Hey everyone...

Ghost, at 22 weeks, is in need of many mornings at the dog park to get that puppy energy out...

However, the catch 22 is that as an all white dog, he comes out gray and black... So I cant keep paying $15 for a puppy bath at the store each time...

Ive been recommended by a friend to use the Earthbath shampoo and conditioner.... theres also a 2 in 1...

would everyone agree its a great choice?

Thanks!

Ghost -- All white GSD/Husky, rescued at 21 weeks, weighing 36 pounds, 1-9-18

Last edited by JLla84; 01-24-2018 at 09:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 09:59 AM
Master Member

Earthbath is great. I've used it and liked it. I like isle of dogs better. I like the scent better and it seems to last longer between baths. A gallon is like $30 and can be diluted 10:1 and will last a long time like that. Idk if they make a 2 in 1 like earthbath. I do my baths like this: heavy duty shampoo, regular shampoo, de-shed shampoo, then conditioner so 2 in 1 won't work for me.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 10:35 AM
Crowned Member

The EASIEST way to shampoo a dog is with a shampoo bar, not a bottle. I discovered that when I tried Wondercide's all-natural bar shampoo for the first time -- it was life changing for me. It cut bath time in half because I don't have to constantly reach for the bottle and squeeze more out, and it rinses faster than any liquid shampoo I've ever used. I put the bars inside some repurposed produce netting (a bag from garlic works very well), to give it some grip and make it easy to hang to dry.

Wondercide's bars last a LONG time. They smell great -- esp. the flea and tick, and it's very gentle.
Natural Pet Grooming & Skincare Solutions
dogfaeries likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
The EASIEST way to shampoo a dog is with a shampoo bar, not a bottle. I discovered that when I tried Wondercide's all-natural bar shampoo for the first time -- it was life changing for me. It cut bath time in half because I don't have to constantly reach for the bottle and squeeze more out, and it rinses faster than any liquid shampoo I've ever used. I put the bars inside some repurposed produce netting (a bag from garlic works very well), to give it some grip and make it easy to hang to dry.

Wondercide's bars last a LONG time. They smell great -- esp. the flea and tick, and it's very gentle.

I do the reverse; I make my own shampoo and store it in a 32oz. spray bottle which I spray on my dog when she gets a bath.

Craig
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 11:37 AM

Is it ok to wash your dog so often with shampoo? I don't think so!

My GSD is swimming everyday. In small ponds, creeks etc. He especially loves muddy water. And rolling inside mud when wet... . I can't keep him out during walks. But when we came home, he will get only quick bath with water. Almost everyday, but no shampoo.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post

Always comin in and confusion the heck outta me!!!

OK, so... how should I decide..... good gosh....

Ghost -- All white GSD/Husky, rescued at 21 weeks, weighing 36 pounds, 1-9-18
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 11:54 AM

After much research, we went with the "FURminator" line of grooming products, (deshedding ultra-premium shampoo, deshedding ultra-premium conditioner, and deshedding waterless spray for between baths) but our 5-month-old Sheba still has not required a bath... she has yet to ever get dirty/muddy while outdoors, and her coat still smells very clean. But she will need a bath eventually, and from everything I have read, these products will definitely get the job done. And apparently when these are used in addition to daily brushing with the FURminator deshedding tool, (and a good-quality undercoat comb) nothing does a better job at keeping any stray hairs to a minimum.

Pet Cleaning Shampoo Conditioner | FURminator®

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

OUR DOGS:
purebred GSD - Sheba
purebred Shih Tzu - Chrissy
mixed Maltese/Scottish Terrier - Bubba
purebred GSD - Chrissy
purebred Toy Poodle - Freeway
purebred Toy Poodle - Benji
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 12:29 PM
Master Member

My in-law's house has a lot of dirt and their dog's have picked up ticks in the past, as well as when my wife's cats were still there they got a bad case of fleas for a few months. Because of those, we gave Zoe baths every few weeks when she was little

I haven't bathed her in a month though. She hasn't smelled or have gross fur in a while, so I'm leaving her be

I use some stuff I got at WalMart. I love a coconut smelling puppy

And having 3 cats, I was already vacuuming once a week, so I don't bother combing her to cut down on shedding (which still looks like puppy fluff floating around... odd)
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 01:55 PM
Crowned Member

Unless they stink or get into something that stinks, I don’t shampoo my dogs anymore than 2-3x a year. For dirt I just rinse them, or mud / muddy water... let it dry then brush them.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 01:57 PM

For my shelties (white feet and ruffs) I always use horse shampoo for white horses, cant think of the name off hand I get it at TSC (farm store) it is a dark purple/blue color. Really makes the white fur shine!

My friend that shows irish red and white setters uses Chris Christians white on white, and ice on ice

Zelda- "Twilight Princess Von Hemlock"

Gryffin- "Gryffindor Von Hemlock"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page