Vaccines for my 1 y/o old female GSD - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Vaccines for my 1 y/o old female GSD

Hi everyone-

It's been awhile since I posted but I was hoping to get some insight from fellow GSD owners. My dog had all of her initial vaccines as a puppy, and is about a month past due on boosters and such. She is 18 months old this month.
My question is, what vaccines are absolutely necessary for my dog? My vet, VCA, sent me an email saying she needed the following:
Distemper Vaccine
Parvovirus Vaccine
Influenza Vaccine: H3N2 Strain
Influenza Vaccine: H3N8 Strain
Bordetella Vaccine

I don't want to give her vaccines that she doesn't NEED. She is a very healthy dog, and I want to only do what is needed. We don't go to dog parks and she is not boarded ever.
We are located in WA state and I am highly considering finding a holistic/ naturopathic vet if anyone has any suggestions or recommendations.

What vaccines do you consider necessary, if any? Our exam is Friday evening for a simple physical checkup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 09:22 PM

Your vet gave such a long list yet no rabies? I thought rabies was the only vaccination that is required by law in most North America cities/towns.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 10:12 PM
Crowned Member

Bordetella - yes if you were boarding.

The influenza? Why?

And you can titer for Parvo/distemper. While you are at it, titer for Rabies too. I just read an article about some dogs not being able to produce the antibodies from teh rabies vaccine so are essentially unprotected. Just nice to know. Rabies is still required by law.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 10:38 PM
Crowned Member

OP’s dog likely has gotten a 3yrs rabies, and therefore isn’t due.

That said, I only give rabies by law... no other vax.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 10:58 PM
Crowned Member

In PA, they give a 1 yr rabies and then a 3 year. If you miss the window to get the 3 year, then you hve to get 1 yr again. Same shot, different paperwork.

Given the dog is 1 year old, I would imagine she had the 1 yr as a puppy and should be due for the 3 yr. Is it different in WA state? Do they consider all the shots a 3 yr?
das1 likes this.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Bordetella - yes if you were boarding.

The influenza? Why?

And you can titer for Parvo/distemper. While you are at it, titer for Rabies too. I just read an article about some dogs not being able to produce the antibodies from teh rabies vaccine so are essentially unprotected. Just nice to know. Rabies is still required by law.
Influenza in dogs has been bad this past year...or last year now I guess. We had a major outbreak over here in Montana just about every dog in one of the towns got it plus not so far from Washington. Don't read the news much so don't know how it's been in other states. Vets in my area were/are urging to get it. It was also a weird/unknown strain apparently so not good.

Bordatella I would recommend just because emergencies can come up and if you aren't current on your shots it's going to be near impossible to board. Basically unless your vet boards and that's assuming you are in the town you live. And yes there's family/friends but you never know. Better safe than sorry type thing.

If you can titer and don't want to over vaccinate that may be a good thing to for parvo/distemper and then only get the shots if it shows she needs them. I don't know if they have to be current for boarding on these though. I'd imagine but possibly they'd accept titers?

Edit: Sorry missed that you said she isn't boarded ever. If you can I'd go with Jax's suggestion of titers. And maybe talk with your vet and talk to them a little more about the vaccinations. Maybe see what outbreaks of diseases they've seen in your area lately so you know what are higher risk diseases in your area are.
Jax08 and RoseW like this.

Last edited by Kazel; 01-17-2018 at 11:30 PM.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 01:17 AM
Crowned Member

Have her titered (blood test) to see how her immunity status is. I don't give my dogs anymore vaccinations after their puppy shorts. Deja's was titered a sa 4 year old and has strong immunity. She has never been sick.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 08:58 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazel View Post
Influenza in dogs has been bad this past year...or last year now I guess. We had a major outbreak over here in Montana just about every dog in one of the towns got it plus not so far from Washington. Don't read the news much so don't know how it's been in other states. Vets in my area were/are urging to get it. It was also a weird/unknown strain apparently so not .
I did see something in the news on canine influenza. I don't think there is an issue on the east coast so didn't pay much attention.

OP- you should look and see if Lepto is an issue in your area. I think that is higher in the West than east as well.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 11:10 AM
Elite Member

From my own experience with our vets (several in the franchise VCA practice that I take my boy). Imho, the franchise is sales based. Individual practices probably vary depending on the vet. That said, it was always right before the vet came in that a tech would go through the various vaccines that my boy was past due on or not yet been given and offer brochures supporting the reasons for them. With the vet tech, I always accepted the brochures and said I would think about it.

Like yours, my GSD is raw fed. Imho a titer is always best before deciding to vax. My vet when he did discuss the vax that I was declining and opting for the titers did bring up the fact that titers were more expensive. Just a heads up on that point.

Fwiw, I do have a decent relationship w/my vet. He doesn't like the raw but doesn't pester me about it. I've had disagreements with their antibiotic standard practise and needed to present fact based well documented info to change their prescribed rx course that my boy needed.

So while you are looking for a holistic vet, go in well informed, keep the communication open, honest and calm.if you have chosen to titer first, just st stay firm with your decision. Chances are your vet probably will agree with you either verbally or just inwardly.

Just my 2 pennies concerning a franchise owned vet practice.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 02:45 PM

There actually was an outbreak of the H3N2 canine influenza strain along the east coast this past year with definite cases in the Carolinas, Georgia, and Florida as well as a few other more inward states. It can be a nasty one and considered very highly contagious since it is newer to the US and most dogs here are immunologically naive to it.

Last edited by RoseW; 01-18-2018 at 02:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page