Booked 'THE' Appointment - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Booked 'THE' Appointment

Nero is now 19 months and I have just booked his check up ahead of his castration.
I do feel a little guilty to out him through it.
He has never had a problem with going to the Vets but has never been sedated before.

What is everyone's tips for aftercare and making the process as easy and stress free as possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 11:16 AM

What is your reason for neutering him? Just curious. Many of us here have intact males that we choose to never neuter and will never breed. Unless, of course, there is a medical necessity for such surgery, we don't see the need.
post #3 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 11:20 AM
Crowned Member

If there is no medical necessity, why risk anesthesia?
selzer and Pawsed like this.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand you’re hanging on to your dog’s body because you’ve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 11:20 AM

Only advice I can give is treat it as much of a non-event as possible. Any apprehension you have can be felt by your boy. Everything else is up to the vet and their techs.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 11:49 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by car2ner View Post
Everything else is up to the vet and their techs.
I beg to differ and think it is up to you unless there is a medical reason. Neutering does not change behavior; training does. If there is no medical reason for it and your dog is not roaming the neighborhood, I'd cancel the appointment for his health.
Some of the reasons they will give to neuter is that it prevents prostate cancer. That would be like amputating his leg so he won't be able to break it.
post #6 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 11:55 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
I beg to differ and think it is up to you unless there is a medical reason. Neutering does not change behavior; training does. If there is no medical reason for it and your dog is not roaming the neighborhood, I'd cancel the appointment for his health.
Some of the reasons they will give to neuter is that it prevents prostate cancer. That would be like amputating his leg so he won't be able to break it.
Definitely agree with this. If you have control over your dog and there's no risk of a mistake or unwanted breeding, I don't recommend neutering. Particularly before 2 years. If you do want to neuter, for whatever reason, at least wait until the dog is 2 years old. Right now, at 19 months, the dog is still growing and he needs those hormones.

MacKenzie - Workling Line Female (In Loving Memory)
Wolfram - West German Showline Male [SG1, CGC, DDN, CN, EN, IN, VN]
Bash - Working Line Puppy
post #7 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 11:56 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
I think Car2ner was referring to the actual procedure... not the merits of neutering vs staying intact
post #8 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 12:01 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoolamb View Post
I think Car2ner was referring to the actual procedure... not the merits of neutering vs staying intact
Quite possible but many dog owners follow the vets' and techs' "advice" blindly.
MineAreWorkingline likes this.
post #9 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 12:02 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbale View Post
Definitely agree with this. If you have control over your dog and there's no risk of a mistake or unwanted breeding, I don't recommend neutering. Particularly before 2 years. If you do want to neuter, for whatever reason, at least wait until the dog is 2 years old. Right now, at 19 months, the dog is still growing and he needs those hormones.
Depends on if the growth plates are closed or not. There is nothing magical about a dog's 2nd birthday.

I've known someone who had x rays done and confirmed closed growth plates in large breeds as early as 16 months. Plenty more who did the same at around 18-19 months.
post #10 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 12:13 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoolamb View Post
Depends on if the growth plates are closed or not. There is nothing magical about a dog's 2nd birthday.

I've known someone who had x rays done and confirmed closed growth plates in large breeds as early as 16 months. Plenty more who did the same at around 18-19 months.
For sure, but x-rays are expensive and if you're only doing them to confirm growth plates for neutering, I'd just as soon say forego the x-rays and just wait until the dog is 2.
MineAreWorkingline likes this.

MacKenzie - Workling Line Female (In Loving Memory)
Wolfram - West German Showline Male [SG1, CGC, DDN, CN, EN, IN, VN]
Bash - Working Line Puppy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page