Vasectomy worth the trouble? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Vasectomy worth the trouble?

I personally think the O.S.S. procedure makes a lot of sense if you have a Female, but I'm not sure if the vasectomy for Males makes any sense.

My veterinarian says the same thing. She says, "what do you gain? O.K., you have a dog that can't impregnate another Female, but beyond that...how does it benefit the dog and you still have the expense of the procedure...?"

I sort of agree.

Has anyone had a vasectomy performed on their Male(s)? Feedback?

Thank you,
Craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 11:17 AM
Crowned Member

Are you talking vasectomy vs leaving a dog intact or are you talking a vasectomy vs neutering?

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand you’re hanging on to your dog’s body because you’ve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 11:32 AM
Elite Member

I question the benefit of neutering. That said, when there are medical reason (existing issues), go for it. If the dog is healthy, has a good prostate, I would opt for the vasectomy if I was worried about my dog knocking up a female. If you only have a male, and are a responsible dog owner, you shouldn't worry about your dog mating unless you intend for him to mate.

People have this notion that has been perpetuated by veterinarians that neutering will take care of all the issues they have with their poorly bred and untrained dogs. Issues like humping, marking in the house, aggression, etc. So, they run out and have the dogs "fixed" and surprise, it doesn't really change much of anything.

About 10 months ago my boy had blood in his urine. Vet determined he had an enlarged/infected prostate. Several rounds of medications did not help enough. His prostate was still enlarged. We decided to neuter him and not risk further medical issues. I would have kept him intact for ever. His behavior and energy level did not change one iota. He still marks outside as he always did. He still has his hyper behaviors, not as relaxed or "calmed" down as vet said he would be.
dogbyte and car2ner like this.

Linc Remington vom Sequoyah Haus, "Remi"- D.O.B 2/3/14

Pedigree:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 11:46 AM
Elite Member

I once had a very shy, timid and gentle male Russian Wolfhound that was caught by the county pound. They would not let me bail him out without him getting neutered. I knew that Ivan Putski needed every bit of testosterone he could possibly make. So I took him to my own vet who performed a vasectomy and wrote on the papers "sterilized". The operation was basically a bandaid operation and Ivan kept his family jewels.

In places where all dogs have to be spayed or neutered because of overpopulation this could work for the male dogs.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineAreWorkingline View Post
Are you talking vasectomy vs leaving a dog intact or are you talking a vasectomy vs neutering?
I'm sorry...thank you for the clarification.

I'm talking vasectomy vs leaving a dog intact.

Craig
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 03:04 PM
Crowned Member

My next pup will be a male. I plan to leave Deja intact and the best option for that future male pup is a vasectomy. I once had a mutt who had a vasectomy because of the shelter's requirement of neutering but they OK-ed a vasectomy. And a GSD with a retained testicle: removed the retained and a vasectomy on the other one,. The vasectomy just because he was under anesthesia already.
For a single male dog I don't see the need for a vasectomy if you manage him well.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Caughlin View Post
I'm sorry...thank you for the clarification.

I'm talking vasectomy vs leaving a dog intact.

Craig
I could see someone giving their dog a vasectomy if they were a bit of an escape artist. There are some dogs that just manage to wriggle out of their fences/houses/whatever so they can go explore.

Otherwise, I don't see the point.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 06:48 PM
Elite Member

Sometimes a breeder may include a clause in the contract to purchase that requires neutering the dog by a certain age (eg. 8 months). I can see a vasectomy being a good option in that case if you were hoping to keep dog intact for the benefit of the hormones. With the vasectomy the dog could no longer reproduce but could maintain those hormones.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 01:29 PM
Elite Member

I plan on getting a bitch in the near(ish) future. My current male will probably get a vasectomy if his vet OKs him for the surgery.

I have had intact male and females living under the same household and have never had a pregnancy, but I am not so naive to think that accidents can't happen. Who knows? I might get into a car crash and be hospitalized for weeks on end and need to leave the care of my dogs to someone else...

Normally I wouldn't bother with the snip and just take that (very small) risk. However, my boy has a pretty severe medical problem that is very very likely to have a genetic component. If an accidental pregnancy were to happen I would be wracked with guilt worrying if those pups and their future owners would be put through the same heart ache.

I'd just feel a lot better having an intact female under my roof if I knew my guy was sterile.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 02:00 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1976E View Post
I question the benefit of neutering. That said, when there are medical reason (existing issues), go for it. If the dog is healthy, has a good prostate, I would opt for the vasectomy if I was worried about my dog knocking up a female. If you only have a male, and are a responsible dog owner, you shouldn't worry about your dog mating unless you intend for him to mate.

People have this notion that has been perpetuated by veterinarians that neutering will take care of all the issues they have with their poorly bred and untrained dogs. Issues like humping, marking in the house, aggression, etc. So, they run out and have the dogs "fixed" and surprise, it doesn't really change much of anything.

About 10 months ago my boy had blood in his urine. Vet determined he had an enlarged/infected prostate. Several rounds of medications did not help enough. His prostate was still enlarged. We decided to neuter him and not risk further medical issues. I would have kept him intact for ever. His behavior and energy level did not change one iota. He still marks outside as he always did. He still has his hyper behaviors, not as relaxed or "calmed" down as vet said he would be.
I didn't notice much change within the first year with our male either, but into the second year I began seeing attention seeking behavoir that wasn't there before. He had always been indifferent to strangers in the past. His serious side has softened as well. I won't do it again unless medically need such as your situation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page