How to increase the longevity of your dogs - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

How to increase the longevity of your dogs

Hi all,
Been reading all these sad posts lately about young dogs passing way before their time, it's heart breaking! Personally I've had two
Shepherds in the past that also passed away much too young (not like it's never enough time anyways). For those of you that have had shepherds that lived past 10 years old what did you do? What did you feed? What supplements did you give? We love our pup so much, he is our best friend! I want to do
everything I can to give him the longest life. Currently he eats raw food, takes supplements, gets marrow bones, eggs every couple days, and gets plenty of daily exercise including lots of swimming during the warmer months. He was a very sick puppy and I wonder how this will effect his later years?
Thanks!
Shooter likes this.

SQUIRREL!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GandalfTheShepherd View Post
Hi all,
Been reading all these sad posts lately about young dogs passing way before their time, it's heart breaking! Personally I've had two
Shepherds in the past that also passed away much too young (not like it's never enough time anyways). For those of you that have had shepherds that lived past 10 years old what did you do? What did you feed? What supplements did you give? We love our pup so much, he is our best friend! I want to do
everything I can to give him the longest life. Currently he eats raw food, takes supplements, gets marrow bones, eggs every couple days, and gets plenty of daily exercise including lots of swimming during the warmer months. He was a very sick puppy and I wonder how this will effect his later years?
Thanks!
Very good subject for a thread Gandalf. I am one who has suffered the loss of one too soon.
GandalfTheShepherd likes this.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 06:55 PM
Crowned Member

Longevity is genetics and luck.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 07:01 PM
Crowned Member

I think you're setting the bar too low at 10 years. I think getting them beyond 12 is very rare, so those are the dogs that are special.

My last one made 11 before cancer got him, and he started out life as a starved, emaciated adolescent, with pneumonia.

We rotated good kibble for him (Prairie NV, Wysong, and many others), but he also ate a lot of fresh produce -- we pureed some veggies or fruit, and he stole snacks from trees and vines in the yard much of the year (figs, blackberries, apples, sour cherries, and guavas).

I would say his challenges early in life didn't impact him late in life....except: his cancer was that the bone cancer hit him EXACTLY where there had been a pano lesion on an xray as a pup. It could be coincidence, but...no one knows.

I was just talking to a vet I love about GSD cancer this week, and she said to look at Nutrocept:
https://functionalnutriments.com/products/nutrocept/
The company has a parallel OTC product called EverPup that's about half the price. I'm not sure what the difference is. Their line is interesting because some of the ingredients are targeted to apoptosis (they also make Apocaps). The problem is the dang flax seed they use -- one of mine is allergic.

I also think environment matters for them, as for us. There are places in the U.S. where the expected lifespan for people is much shorter than in other areas -- compare Louisiana and Colorado! I would bet the dogs follow the same regional patterns. I also think exercise and body mass for them over a lifetime probably matters just as it does for us. The obesity trend for pets likely carries some statistical risk of shortening life spans.

Last edited by Magwart; 12-19-2017 at 07:04 PM.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 07:05 PM
Elite Member

I like the feeds of the Purina feed company. I trust the nutritional science behind them. I had a horse live to be 40 years old on Purina complete horse pellets, not old horse food covered with molasses, Purina 200 for breeding horses. Now I'm feeding Inga Purina 1 Large Breed after Purina 1 large breed puppy. She is healthy, lively, beautiful coat, eats every bit of her food with just a bit of hot water on it. Is available at grocery stores everywhere. Sure there is luck in the length of life of us all.
dz0qp5 and GandalfTheShepherd like this.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 07:27 PM
HHH

Agree with Jax. Two of my GSD were 13 year and none of those got something special diet or supplement, neither when they were young or old. They was never skinny or fat, and had a normal activity.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 07:59 PM
Elite Member

I guess stress in a dog's life would be a longevity factor. Living in a peaceful environment versus a contentious household, and the temperament of the dog, highly strung versus chilled.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 08:11 PM
Crowned Member

I think I am on board with genetics and luck.

I know an aussie breeder who has recently lost two dogs young-ish to cancer. She barely vaccinates, feeds raw with all the supplements. I'm talking like 10/11 years these dogs go.

I lost my Florida ditch dog GSD mix to cancer at age 10. Other than the huge tumor, he was full of energy and life and did not act old at all.

My girl is 11 now, and she is still enjoying her life very much. I am trying not to let a single day go by without appreciating her and trying to make sure she and I enjoy ourselves together, because I don't know how much longer she will be with me. My vet has said "oh she'll make fourteen or fifteen, easy". If a sneaky cancer doesn't get her, she just might.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 08:22 PM

I figured I’d have Sage until she was old, but in her case a freak infection got her when she just turned 5. When she was first diagnosed I asked my vet why this happened. He said “bad luck”.

Scarlet’s grandmother is still frolicking around, and will be 12 in Feb. Her sight is going, and she’s a bit dotty, but she’s enjoying life. I hope Scarlet gets her longevity!

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 08:32 PM
Crowned Member

My goal in this life is to get mine to 15 plus, all of them. I know that might not be realistic but I keep that in my head at all times. I'm not a quitter....LOL. My oldest is 13(not a GSD but a 60 pound mix). One day she couldn't walk, I freaked out and thought oh no this can't be it. She eats good, asks to go out, has great hearing and sight plus APOLLO gets her playing quite often. Just those darn legs. I have never done so much research so fast in my life. I got her stabilized and just pray for the best.

For all of them..

I will never feed kibble again, vaccines are at a minimum, I've moved away from any flea treatment(I still give .3 ccs of ivermeticin for heartworm May-Oct every 45 days), I give filtered water, I no longer use chemicals to clean or wash clothes, no more candles or sprays(essential oils only) and I make sure they are not stressed and are exercised. They get Spirulina, bee pollen, colostrum, garlic and some get CBD oil.

I can only hope for the best and I know I give it my best.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD

Last edited by llombardo; 12-19-2017 at 08:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page