Mats behind the ears - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Mats behind the ears

Hi,
I'm having trouble getting the mats out behind Gandalfs ears! Is there any tips or tricks to getting them out easier? I've tried a couple different styles of brush to no avail... even one of those "demating combs" (https://www.amazon.com/Safari-W6116-...=dog+mat+brush) and I ended up nearly slicing my finger off lol and still didn't get the darn thing out! He doesn't get them anywhere else but behind those fluffy ears... he is a good sport and puts up with the yanking but I feel awful about it.
Thanks yall
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 09:51 AM
Elite Member

Is your dog actually a long hair? Mats are actually hairs that have fallen out entangled with rooted hairs. In other types of animals (angora rabbits) I got scissors and cut into the mat lengthwise, then take hold of the rooted hairs at the base and work the section loose with my fingers
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
Is your dog actually a long hair? Mats are actually hairs that have fallen out entangled with rooted hairs. In other types of animals (angora rabbits) I got scissors and cut into the mat lengthwise, then take hold of the rooted hairs at the base and work the section loose with my fingers
I'm not sure what he is technically considered; is it very long compared to my past two shepherds and it is so incredibly soft, feels softer than puppy fur. He is still young so i'm not sure if his coat will fill out even more (i've heard long coats take a while?). Here is a photo of him to get an idea... I'd hate to cut it all out since it might look funny lol. The hair behind his ears gets very curly, people stop and ask me if I take a curling iron to his hair . Is there a way once you get the mats out to prevent them? I brush behind his ears every day and he still gets them...
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 10:03 AM
Elite Member

He looks like a beautiful white wolf.

If you brush him everyday and he still gets mats I guess there is no prevention. What about putting ladys hair conditioner there when you wash him?
GandalfTheShepherd and delro like this.
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
If you brush him everyday and he still gets mats I guess there is no prevention. What about putting ladys hair conditioner there when you wash him?
Thank you . Never thought of that, will have to give it a try. Any idea how to get the darn things out that are there now though besides cutting them? I took him to the groomer a couple months ago and they somehow managed... I've been trying to avoid taking him there again since they're so expensive and the lady who groomed him said he was awful and howled the whole time. Which is pretty odd because when I bathe him at home he loves it and doesn't make a peep
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 10:25 AM
Elite Member

Maybe the groomer can advise you.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 11:00 AM
Elite Member

I had a grooming business with my kennel for years. I didn't groom myself but I helped the groomer out, and learned a lot in the process. Dematting is very time-consuming and painful for the dog. I suggest you just cut them out, then make SURE you brush the area frequently when grooming the dog to keep them from coming back!

What type of brush are you using? For a long haired dog like that, you need to be using a rake with long teeth to get down to the roots of the hair and not just a slicker brush or furminator. If you have the right tools, the mats CAN be prevented!

Make sure your dog is fully dematted before bathing. Bathing makes the mats tighter and harder to remove. It's like when you wash wool - the fibers felt together.

This is the type of tool I use on my dogs for the areas that have really long hair, like the back of the hind legs: https://www.amazon.ca/FURminator-104...XZKA3NW498S679

(Although it's sold under the Furminator brand name, it is not really a furminator.)

Last edited by Sunsilver; 12-04-2017 at 11:10 AM.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 11:13 AM
Crowned Member

If I brush Shelby frequently, she doesn't get matted. If I am a slacker, she mats. Often, I can work the mats out, with my fingers. If not, I just cut out the mat and brush the rest.

Jan
Shelby 9-2-14
Natty Boh 6-27-12
Annie 1998 - 8-2-12 RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 11:42 AM
Elite Member

Mats can be worked out with the fingers in the early stages. But the fact they are happening at all means you are not getting right down to the roots of the hair when you are brushing!

Many owners don't 'get' this -they think a once-over lightly with a slicker or furminator is going to do the job on a double-coated, medium length or long haired dog! And oh, the things I have seen as a result of this type of grooming! You would absolutely GAG at some of them!

A lady brought her collie in for grooming. She said her teenage daughter had been in charge of brushing it. Well, the girl obviously didn't realize that a dog needs to be brushed ALL OVER. Yes, even the parts you don't really want to think about...

The dog was so matted around its privates and anus that it was a wonder the poor thing could even poop OR pee...

Which reminds me- with a long haired dog like that, you likely should be doing a 'sanitary' clip on it around these areas with a pair of scissors, say, once every 6 to 8 weeks. You dog will thank you, and your house will likely smell better, too!
JessicaR likes this.

Last edited by Sunsilver; 12-04-2017 at 11:50 AM.
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 12:12 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GandalfTheShepherd View Post
Any idea how to get the darn things out that are there now though besides cutting them?
Do this ---V . I feel that'd be your best bet. I don't have experience doing it on a dog, but I've done it to my vacuum cleaner a lot, haha

Quote:
He'll look like he got a wonky haircut, but better than being matted. Then just keep up on the deep brushing and you should be good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page