Advice on vaccines and titers anybody? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Advice on vaccines and titers anybody?

So my girl is 11, my boy 2 and a half now. He has had every vaccine there is basically. Actually both of them have. He had one vaccine reaction to lepto when he was young. Got a different brand lepto later in life and was fine. I just had his bordetella redone because he was due.

He is also due for Distemper and Lyme now I think. She is due for a bunch of stuff but I forget what.

I am researching where I can send for titers...I have heard there are better titers that give actual amounts vs yes or no? My vet says there is no way to know from the titer if they really have immunity or not. A friend of mine recommended Hemopet for titers.

She has just recently had a 3 year rabies and if she lives long enough I don't plan to ever do that again no matter what.

I board dogs on my property and my dogs compete in a few dog sports so we go to trials and so they are exposed to who knows what. I would appreciate any advice or info about titering vs vaccinating...how long you have found vaccines to really last...ect ect. I do not want to vaccinate my boy to death, he has had everything so likely a lot of it will last a long time, right?

Do you agree/disagree that hemopet is the best place to titer?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 11:26 AM
Crowned Member

My vet sends mine to Auburn University for distemper and parvo.

Why does your vet say that? the titers measure the antibodies in their system. My vet has never said that and he would if he thought tht! He's a pretty straight shooter.

Mine basically stops vaccinating senior dogs after 7-8 years. Per AAHA, the distemper and parvo are good for several years (you should look up the actual years for each)
GypsyGhost likes this.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

He said something like...we just don't know enough about the titers to know for sure that a "positive" titer means they are covered. I don't remember exactly. I mean, he isn't super pushy so if I tell him I am titering he will just say ok.

I'm guessing she probably never needs any more vaccines for the rest of her life. I did just get her a 3 year rabies...if she lives long enough for this one to run out I won't do it again no matter what.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 11:38 AM
Crowned Member

I never do rabies on my seniors unless I start seeing critters like bats.

Auburn has a decent price for titers. I can look later to see what I was charged last time. For some reason, I'm thinking Colorado State might do them as well?
GypsyGhost likes this.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 11:48 AM
The Friendly Neighborhood Witch Mod

I titer for distemper and parvo, and just get a positive or negative. I cannot for the life of me remember where they send it off to, though. I titer every year because that is what my vet feels comfortable with. I would probably feel ok titering every three years, but Iím fine checking every year, too. When my cancer dog was still with me, I stopped titering her because I wasnít going to vaccinate her no matter what the titer read. I did give her one rabies shot after she was diagnosed, but thatís because we couldnít get an exemption in my state at the time. At 11, I personally wouldnít be giving vaccines, but you and I are also in very different situations. I donít give lepto, Lyme or bordetella to my dogs, but as far as I know, those are not long lasting vaccines and need to be given once a year, if not more frequently.
Jax08 likes this.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 01:52 PM
Crowned Member

Auburn's titers have numbers so you can see how high, or low, the immunity is. Seger's 1 yr titer showed ZERO immunity to one of them. I think distemper. Like he had never been vaccinated at all. It was shocking!

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 01:56 PM
The Friendly Neighborhood Witch Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Auburn's titers have numbers so you can see how high, or low, the immunity is. Seger's 1 yr titer showed ZERO immunity to one of them. I think distemper. Like he had never been vaccinated at all. It was shocking!
Have you titered him since this? If so, did he come back as having immunity?

Last edited by GypsyGhost; 11-21-2017 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Typo
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 02:07 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyGhost View Post
Have you titered him since this? If so, did he come back as having immunity?
Yes. Vaccinated with a combo and rechecked. I can't remember how long I waited. May have been at the next yearly check up. His titers were very high. We think something happened to the vaccines, that were given to me by my breeder to administer. Most likely when I was transporting or storing them Another lesson other than titer....only use vaccines from your vet where you know they have been kept at the proper temperature.
GypsyGhost likes this.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 12:52 AM
Elite Member

I also titer for parvo and distemper and per law he gets the 3yr Rabies vaccine. My boy was infected with lymes disease early on so when the vaccine came out even though my vet recommended it to me, I declined since he already had the antibodies. Vaccinating him for something he already had didn't make sense to me. My breeder had warned me not to give the lepto until he was older as some of her pups that were given it at an early age had adverse reactions. I did some research and consideration of his normal environment exposures chose not to vaccinate.

Thecowboysgirl, my old girl (rip) had her last rabies at 11 or 12 yrs old and like you, I was not going to give it again. She passed before she was due at just under 15yrs old. In all honesty, when we got her I really was a jqp who didn't know anything about vaccines beyond pups need some shots that the vet gives plus a 1 yr booster. After that, she was never vaccinated for anything including rabies. Due to ignorance we fed her the worst kibble plus table scraps. She was a hienz 57 mix, had an iron gut and was the healthiest out of the 4 dogs we have owned including my boy. So it's just my theory, but seems like her core puppy vaccines (back then I think it was only parvo, distemper, rabies) basically gave her enough protection that she ever needed or she was incredibly lucky. The only reason she got the rabies vax late in life was because I got my boy and felt the need to license her since I had to license him. Couldn't license her without rabies vaccine proof.

Actually our first dog was the exact same story but without the late in life second rabies vax and he was free roaming as were all the dogs in the neighborhood at the time. Very healthy until cancer got him (at 9 yrs old) and knowing what I know now I highly suspect it was due to the same crap food. Something to think about concerning the lymes vaccine, I live in high risk lymes area. A high percentage of dogs test positive for lymes but are symptom free suggesting that their immune system takes care of it. Tons of studies being done on lymes disease.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"

Last edited by Heartandsoul; 11-22-2017 at 01:00 AM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 07:52 AM
Crowned Member

Max is due for titers. Lymes is a also a very big problem here it is one vaccine I may due. I understand if caught early and treated there are no issues with Lymes disease down the road. Spring is so bad here with ticks it really is an issue. The vaccine can cause joint issues as much or if not more then lymes disease so it is a always puzzling decsion. Luna is one so I get her next round of vaccines and then titer. Separating them. Our chihuahua is 9 years old I hold off on all vaccines. When our dogs turned a certain age always layed off the vaccines because I had no issues it was what I usually did.

I had chicken pox as a kid. I remember when I was pregnant the doctor took blood work to check my immunity which came back I was not immune to the chicken pox. Was the test faulty Iím not really sure. The immune system sure can be complex. My immune system is off so I do not know if that was a sign then or not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page