It is a tough decision. I went through so much research trying to decide this for my gal. There are pros and cons on both sides. It basically came down to how my household ran. I chose to do a spay between the 2nd and 3rd heats, along with a gastropexy, since she was open and under anyhow. She is a very very active girl and an ounce of prevention was my thinking.
Reasons why we spay
1) my intact male in the house. For a couple of weeks he would do nothing but sing songs of love. Training was worthless and sleeping was tough.
2) yikes, what a mess. Even with bloomers and pads. And my gal was getting frustrated with being confined to a crate for a good part of the day.
3) special events came up and we had to miss them due to them falling in the month my gal was in season.
4) my gal seemed to go through a bit of an emotional roller-coaster. Some dogs can sail through a heat without a problem but during my gal's second heat she started acting like an angsty teenager. This might have improved with age, but I didn't want to see her get doggy PMS again...if that is what it was.
5) After her 2nd heat she seemed to have grown to her full height. Of course our dogs still grow a bit even after their second year filling out and gaining muscle, but it was good timing to get it done at about 18 months.
sooooo many things to consider. If I didn't have the intact male in our home I might have done an OSS and leave one ovary..one heat a year, approx.
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.