Suggestions for a cone destructive dog? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By dogbyte
  • 1 Post By Femfa

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Suggestions for a cone destructive dog?

Ryka's toe needs to heal, and for the first week we were too trusting and believed a bitter spray would stop her from licking it. Obviously it didn't, as here we are in week two with the cone on her while she's crated and we can't watch her. She's also partially on crate rest as well because she keeps reinjuring the area whenever she's out (for those who haven't seen my other post, she basically shattered her back nail and the quick/cuticle is completely exposed).

Long story short, an Elizabethan collar doesn't work because it's her back toe. The sprays don't work. Having it bandaged doesn't work because she'll just chew it off. The cone was working, but now she's realized there's a gap for the sizing and she's almost destroyed the entire flap of the cone.

I'm considering a muzzle and a bandage so she can't lick it, but I'm worried she'll be able to tear the bandage off if she can push the muzzle close enough to her teeth.

Any suggestions?

The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kona
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2017/03/19

"Ryka" Joule von Wendelin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 12:04 PM
Elite Member

Muzzle seems extreme. Do you really want to muzzle the dog for long periods? How about some sedatives and a cone together?

Linc Remington vom Sequoyah Haus, "Remi"- D.O.B 2/3/14

Pedigree:
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 12:46 PM
Crowned Member

I'd use Styptic Powder on it. Its primarily for bleeding, but it tends to just kinda dry those things up quicker so the licking stops. I poor a little pile into the lid, and just stick the toe into it.

Pet Medical Supplies: Kwik Stop Styptic Series

Doc

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Using sedatives for a week+ just to stop my dog from licking her toe while in the crate seems far more extreme to me, personally. At least with a muzzle she has more freedom of movement in the crate and it comes off immediately when she's out. I'm not sure I understand the demonization of them, but that's off topic. I'll try the styptic powder to get it to dry and see if it helps... the problem is if she's crated she focuses on it and will lick non-stop. She recently figured out how to push the cone against the crate and angle it so she can stick her foot near the edge of the cone to lick it and it's the largest size you can get. The healing is taking way longer than it should because of me trusting her too much to leave it alone. We'll be calling the vet on Tuesday to see if they have any other suggestions as well... fingers crossed for that.

I love how smart she is, just not when she outsmarts me like this.

The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.

Kona
2017/03/19

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 02:23 PM
Elite Member

My late male GSD had to have a huge growth off a front toe pas..got him a " novaguard" to wear for over 3 months..only thing I did to it was to take U shaped rubber weather stripping and pad the eddpges between his ears.

dogbyte Cathy, Rossi ( the Dutch shepherd) and Gunny (the Czech/DDR GSD) with Zoey, Chance,Xara,Gracie, and Jaden snuggled deep within my heart
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbyte View Post
My late male GSD had to have a huge growth off a front toe pas..got him a " novaguard" to wear for over 3 months..only thing I did to it was to take U shaped rubber weather stripping and pad the eddpges between his ears.
Oh wow, I don't think I've ever seen that before. That's an awesome compromise. Thanks!

Kona
2017/03/19

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 05:13 PM
Elite Member

I wish more vets knew about them. Jaden wore it almost 24/7 for several months. That's why I padded the edges. I found it by accident before his surgery. We had battled the growth off and on for over 3 years before the surgery. Hope it works for you if you get one!
Femfa likes this.

dogbyte Cathy, Rossi ( the Dutch shepherd) and Gunny (the Czech/DDR GSD) with Zoey, Chance,Xara,Gracie, and Jaden snuggled deep within my heart
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 05:31 PM
Crowned Member

How about a see-through one? It has to be longer than her muzzle to prevent her from reaching her toe. I used it with Deja from Petco. They are pink.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 07:22 PM
Elite Member

I am on my IPad and don't know how to paste the link but Amazon has the novaguard recovery head gear for dogs for around $20. They are clean and do not block vision..you can trim them to what ever length you need. It was a life saver for my angel GSD Jaden,

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
How about a see-through one? It has to be longer than her muzzle to prevent her from reaching her toe. I used it with Deja from Petco. They are pink.

See through cone? If so, that's what she had and destroyed sadly.

And yeah, I saw them on Amazon, unfortunately they don't ship to Canada! So I'm trying to find a Canadian vendor for them. I did pick up a muzzle, and to be honest she's doing awesome with it. If I'm unable to find the Novaguard, the muzzle will have to do in this case. I wanted her trained on one anyways, so two birds with one stone I suppose.
dogbyte likes this.

Kona
2017/03/19

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page