Not neutering warnings - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2017, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Not neutering warnings

I have no intention on neutering until 2 years if ever. Pup is 6 months. My forum/Internet search didn't go well. I am wondering if your dog exhibits behaviour that indicates roaming potential for a female in heat. When does this behavior tend to show its self? Does behavior change when neutered later in life? Any input story advice is welcome.I have never had an unaltered dog. I just want to be prepared. We live in a rural area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2017, 08:40 PM
Elite Member

Mine was 3 when I had to neuter him due to health issues. He never roamed...never once did he show any signs of roaming or anything. My dog is never out of my sight. Ever! If he is outside, I'm outside. And we are usually engage in play of some sort. He has grown up knowing that I'm THE BEST thing in his life and given the chance to go to my neighbors house to play or stay home and play with me...he always chooses me. This brings up another point, I don't like people engaging with my dog. If they want a dog to pet, get their own! I don't want my dog getting play, treats, or anything "good" from anyone that is not a close family member. He has to think that I give him all the love, fun, food, treats that he wants, and there is nothing that can even compare outside of our little universe.

If you are the kind of person who wants to leave the dog outside to his own vices, then there is a potential of having issues. Or if you think it is ok for your dog to enjoy all the goodness that strangers want to give him, then you have the potential of your dog seeking that attention away from you...leading to roaming, mating, etc.
Moriah likes this.

Linc Remington vom Sequoyah Haus, "Remi"- D.O.B 2/3/14

Pedigree:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by eddie1976E; 07-30-2017 at 08:43 PM.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:43 PM
Elite Member

No issues with not neutering. 2 in November.

Snitches get stitches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2017, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Never outside alone ever. I fail at the can we pet your puppy to often more often when he is using manners to great. That said with engagement increasing everyday, I thought that some potential instinctual erge might over come obedience and 1 open door might be all it takes. I don't know how strong the erge is.
Thanks for the response
Old 07-30-2017, 08:55 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex1 View Post
Never outside alone ever. I fail at the can we pet your puppy to often more often when he is using manners to great. That said with engagement increasing everyday, I thought that some potential instinctual erge might over come obedience and 1 open door might be all it takes. I don't know how strong the erge is.
Thanks for the response
Don't get me wrong...I failed at letting people pet him sometimes. It's a balance. But I think most people saw his "in training" vest and they understood not to ask.

My breeder helped me understand, since there is so much (mis)information out there about this topic. I had read about dogs chewing through walls to get out and mate. Which is crazy. The breeder told me to make sure OB is solid, have a great relationship with him and he will be fine. Turns out she was right....I suppose it is also specific to the dog also.

Linc Remington vom Sequoyah Haus, "Remi"- D.O.B 2/3/14

Pedigree:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

How much time do I have? When if not neutering is it fair to expect solid OB, most importantly a COME command not ignored? I might be moving to slow. My pup is great, we put in hours, im also a noob, can I call him off a cat chase? NO, not yet. Does he come once he lost the cat 100%. I know that is whole other topic. I am a DIY kind of person, but if it's urgent I am completely willing to find a professional.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:36 PM
Crowned Member

I have had multiple intact males, various breeds. None have ever roamed or showed a tendency to. Vets are making you paranoid about intact males as being some monstrous breeding machines. Manage and train them and they will focus on you. Most issues are training issues. Removing their testicles doesn't make them obedient either. Think show dogs; they NEED to be intact in order to be shown.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

My vet supports the choice no pressure. I just dont count on my vet for the best advice. Another whole different topic. Learning curves for me. It is my mind that links them to the breeding machine! My false preception.
Thank you for your experience it really helps. I have watched him maturing, everything seems to happen so fast, this pup has grown mentally and physically so much faster then i could ever imagine, such a short time. Figured I should try to get ahead of anything if I needed to.
Old 07-31-2017, 12:55 AM
Crowned Member

I had Max neutered when he was two years old. He had a retained testicle otherwise I would of kept him intact. I can say he has not changed at all after he was neutered. His energy did not wane nor his intensity. He still continues to fill out and mature nicely. His grandfather lived till 16 and I hoping Max will live just as long. Karat our working line was intact he lived till 12 years arthritis started creeping up at 8. He was a serious intense calm dog that would stay on the front step if you told him to all day not leaving the yard- not that we did. There were no issues with him being intact what so ever. The most challenging intact dogs I found were the little dogs. We had our chihuahua neutered at a year and half as I had it with his antics.
Old 07-31-2017, 01:15 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny720 View Post
The most challenging intact dogs I found were the little dogs. We had our chihuahua neutered at a year and half as I had it with his antics.
That is true or at least my experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in