First heat, how protective should I be? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

First heat, how protective should I be?

My pups 7 months old now and starting to get very interested in the changing smells of her pee. Guessing her first heat is approaching.

This is all new to me, think I have a grasp on the process, but I am unsure how reactive I need to be with her on walks, etc. I walk her on a short leash and occasionally we come across unleashed dogs. Can I continue to walk her? Will I be able to kick off any suitors before they "lock" or does it happen too fast for me to respond appropriately?

Also, we do a group GSD training every Saturday. I asked the trainer if I shouldn't bring her while in heat and the trainer said definitely DO bring her, great distraction to test the boys with. Seem reasonable?

Thanks in advance for any insight!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 02:23 PM
Crowned Member

First the vulva will get bigger, than bleeding. This is her first heat so could be irregular but count on at least a month. I always look for the swelling before I find drops of blood. As long as she isn't swollen you can walk her but she could give off scent to notify the males.
My breeder loves it when I board Deja while she happens to be in heat. It helps with training the boys, he says. Maybe your trainer can guide you more.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 06:42 PM

Just keep an eye on her and don't leave her unattended outside. Walks should be perfectly fine although she may be a little distracted and may be a little distracting to other dogs. You may have some visitors especially if you have stray dogs in your area. If you don't have any male dogs it should be fairly simple. Just watch out if she is a heavy bleeder you might want to get some or fashion some doggy diapers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 11:32 PM
Deb
Knighted Member

Never put her out unattended. As a pup herself, this is the season you need to be the most protective of her.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Thank you all for the advice! I'll make sure she is never outside unsupervised, but our daily trail walks will be hard to give up. I'll watch for the swelling/bleeding and keep her in as much as possible.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 11:57 AM
Crowned Member

In some way I enjoy the breaks from everything and to work with her at home. A friend mentioned that when her friend's dog was in heat and she was on a trial walk, dog off leash and veered off the trail. When she came back, she was followed by a coyote. Of course we don't know what the intentions were of the coyote. I personally did see coyotes on our motion detecting cameras when Deja was in heat. You don't want to end up with coy dogs.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
In some way I enjoy the breaks from everything and to work with her at home. A friend mentioned that when her friend's dog was in heat and she was on a trial walk, dog off leash and veered off the trail. When she came back, she was followed by a coyote. Of course we don't know what the intentions were of the coyote. I personally did see coyotes on our motion detecting cameras when Deja was in heat. You don't want to end up with coy dogs.
Hmm, we live in a rural area, walks mean a mile trail hike. I enjoy looking at the coyote poops left on trail to see what they have been snacking on (lots of berries lately) and counting the rattle snake trail crossing tracks. That's a very valid concern that I hadn't thought of, she might get the attention of all the coyotes in the area...
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 07:39 PM
Crowned Member

another thing to consider when going for a walk is the likelihood that coyotes and any strays in the area who come across her path later will follow it home. Most owners of females I know, when in heat, drive their dog away from home for walks until the heat is over.
Any locals will already be very interested in your house/yard.
Solamar likes this.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 09:33 PM
Elite Member

When I adopted a stray GSD that was 9 months old, I was told there was no way of knowing if she was neutered until she came/didn't come in heat.

Well, about a month later, she had her first heat!

A neighbourhood dog set up camping outside my front door, and in spite of being shipped off to the pound twice, did not lose interest until her heat cycle was nearly over.

So, yeah, you must supervise her carefully when she's outside. I've even heard of litters being conceived through a chain link fence, not to mention amorous suitors digging under, or climbing over the fence!

If you do walk her during this time, drive her well away from home, carry a good heavy walking stick with you to ward off unwanted advances, and have her wear a panty that will prevent any suitors from tying with her.

I've found panties aren't very good for keeping the house clean. Most of my intact females have wanted to lick themselves to keep clean, so they will tear the panty to pieces. The only one that worked was the one I had for my first female. It was a pad holder with an elastic belt, and she could push the pad aside to clean herself if she wanted to.

If anyone knows where I could find something similar, I'd be VERY happy to buy it!
Solamar likes this.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

So far so good. She's bleeding a fair bit so I raided my teen boys drawers and found some old boxer briefs. Cut the hole open a bit more for her tail and she doesnt seem to mind much (figured she would immediately pull them off). Tighty Whities would probably work better but these don't look quite as goofy.

A week or so of bleeding, than another week of keeping her away from the boys?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170831_203149.jpg
Views:	543
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	442497  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page