Dead wild plant in dogs coat - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Dead wild plant in dogs coat

So my GSD ran through/played in a pile of dead wild plants and got some stuck deep within his coat. I thought I brushed them all out but I was rubbing his chest today and felt A LOT of them in his coat (mostly chest, tummy area). I tried brushing them out with a wire brush. But it's really difficult to get them out. AND I can't pick them out because his thick hair is in the way. I'm getting worried because these dead plants are poking/ irritating his skin. Does anyone know a good solution to getting them out?
I almost feel like I'll have to shave him which I really don't want to do. But the plants are irritating the skin very bad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170622_193142_1498181923803.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	429226  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 09:48 PM
Administrator

Those look like fox tails, they can cause big problems. A vet visit may be needed, sooner rather than later, ESPECIALLY if any are already embedded.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIBackpacker View Post
Those look like fox tails, they can cause big problems. A vet visit may be needed, sooner rather than later, ESPECIALLY if any are already embedded.
I have an appointment for tomorow morning but I was wondering if there was anything I could do for now. Is there a way to get rid of them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 09:52 PM
Crowned Member

wet dog down and use hair conditioner - keep combing -- don't skimp on the condtioner

works for burrs
VTGirlT likes this.

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 09:53 PM
Crowned Member

If Foxtails...they can burrow and actually get into blood stream and move thru body.
if you shave you might shave them off and miss. A good soaking and inspection by you and other might be good. Check ears, and nostrals and between toes
wolfy dog likes this.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 09:55 PM
Administrator

Be very careful, they embed in the skin. I'd call an after hours E-vet and ask if they advise pulling with tweezers or a different approach (I've heard differing opinions). This isn't something to mess around with.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I checked him because I saw his feet are red already. Backs clean. So are his ears. I feel like such an irresponsible idiot. I'll try conditioner tomorrow after vet visit.
Is their a type of brush I can use to try and get them out while washing him? He just has so many.
I don't want him to be in any more pain than he already is.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 10:05 PM
Elite Member

Don't feel bad. Fox tails are evil and sneaky.. They work their way into the dogs during deep quickly.. Just be careful and thorough from now on..
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 10:10 PM
Administrator

I know it sounds awful, but you really may be best off turning on a very bright light so you can see well, and hand picking / tweezering. What you don't want to do is accidentally rub any more into the skin before you see the vet in the morning.

Don't beat yourself up, it's an awful plant and it looks like any other clump of weeds unless you know what you're looking for.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

I feel so frustrated. I hope I can get them all out. My poor dog...
It's just difficult taking them out because he doesn't like to stay still.

Last edited by aurybq; 06-22-2017 at 10:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page