Flea and Tick Meds - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Flea and Tick Meds

I am a new at raising my GSD and live in an area that has an extremely high concentration of ticks. When my boy reached the proper age I followed my vets advice and gave him Bravecto. It worked great and was pleased with the results. On a visit to stop in at his breeder to say hello he advised us not to use the product and use a good flea collar instead. So we followed his advise and bought the product again from our vet. Our next visit to his vet was because he was growing increasingly lethargic and his appetite was poor at best. The vet diagnosed him with tick related parasites in his system and told us a couple more days and he most likely would not have made it. She explained to us that with drops and a collar the tick can still bite and the parasite is contained in the ticks saliva. I asked her about the side effects discussed in relation to Bravecto and she simply looked at Yogi and said the side effects of the collar don't appear very pleasant either do they? Three days of two bottle IV's plus painful shots with monitoring of his kidney and liver functions due to the large number of platelets that will now be secreted have not been pleasant for him or I to watch. I am looking for feedback on this issue as I understand hers is only one opinion on the topic. I live in the forest and can't avoid ticks. I want to be able to keep this from reoccurring but I want to do so safely.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 05:17 PM
Elite Member

I happen to be a Bravecto like. Both my SAR dogs have been on it each summer/spring for 2yrs and are tick free and no reaction.. I don't use it year round is I don't need to. Rose geranium oil is very good at repelling ticks, smells good, however, requires consistent applications before going out into tick area and can be washed off if the dog goes swimming or in the water alot... I'm sorry your dog is sick.. No fun! Hoe he gets better quickly and fully
DennisTinsley likes this.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 07:35 PM

Dennis,

I have a part-home in the mountains and have had a problem with ticks, mites and chiggers; my dog gave me chiggers once--NOT FUN!

I use a high grade flea and tick spray and it gets applied as soon as we arrive at the mountain house. I also use Frontline drops on my dog Maxwell when we are there.
I always use a slicker brush on his coat to pull out loose hair; then use a coarse brush to work in the spray well into the coat from head to toes. I don't have the name of the tick spray because its not here with me right now. I got the spray at the tack and feed store and it was not cheap--about $20 for about a 16oz spray bottle. I also use Sulfadene which has witch hazel in it to control scratching. I would also recommend to treat all bedding and wash it regularly it you suspect pests. Probably most people on the forum have to deal with these disgusting things; but in addition to treatment I would recommend a bright flashlight and check for ticks in the ears, in and around the tail and genitals and thin coat areas. If I find a tick, I use alcohol to make the tick back out of the skin. I am not a fan of grabbing a tick and pulling it and risk something to be left in the dog's skin. You have a beautiful long haired GSD, so your work is cut out for you to work on that thick coat. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 07:52 PM
Crowned Member

There's a wide selection of "next generation" flea/tick products that have hit the market in the past few years:
-Bravecto (chew)
-NexGard (chew)
-Vectra3D (topical)
-Simparica (chew)
-Seresto (collar)
-Scalibor (collar)
etc.

I don't think there's one that's clearly "the best" or "the safest." Different dogs can have a reaction to any of them, and yet tolerate a different one fine. I've used NexGard in the rescue on several different dogs, and they've all tolerated it without incident. I also give it to my own dog when we travel in tick-infested regions.

I've used Bravecto on one dog that was already known to tolerate Bravecto well (previous owner gave it to her) -- I'm a little more cautious with it because there seem to be more reports of Bravecto causing bad reactions than some other products. For dogs who tolerate it, though, it is effective and economical (because it lasts for 3 months).

My friends have also had very good results with Vectra3D.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 10:16 PM

We use Vectra3D. Ticks are really bad here and the Vectra is working. This is the second year that I've used it.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 12:27 AM
Administrator

After lots of feedback from training friends and a talk with my vet, we are switching to Nexgard this summer. The topicals just aren't working very well in my area any more.

My vet's office said they were pulling live ticks off of dogs in February this year (not normal at all for the upper Midwest - ugh). Talk to your local veterinary staff and ask what is working the best.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 06:40 AM Thread Starter

Thanks

Thank you for the feedback...I live in an area that a lot of the products available in the U.S. are not available. I'll go back to the Bravecto and cross my fingers it stops something like this from happening again. Today is bad for him. Had periods yesterday where he appeared to be bouncing back but very lethargic today. He has to go in for check up and more fluids today but it hurts to see him in his current state. Feel a bit helpless in trying to help him.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Bad Day

Two more bottles of fluids, steroids, five different injections today. He won't eat at all. Breaking my heart to see him like this. Vet says a little more time and I'm having to bring him in again tomorrow for more IV's. Has anyone experienced this and can give me an idea what I should expect? Vet is trying to assure me all will be ok.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 01:34 PM
Elite Member

I'm so sorry he is going through this.. Is it a tick born illness or a reaction to the tick collar?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 01:49 PM
Crowned Member

What tick-borne illness was he diagnosed as having contracted?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page