Best Age to Neuter a GSD - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Best Age to Neuter a GSD

My pup is only 4 months old so no neuter for months. My vet said to wait until over one year or longer for GSD. He stated for health issues testicular cancer and other cancer that is why. He also stated if there are no mounting or marking issues I may not want neuter him at all.

I have always neuter my dogs but never had a GSD. Any advise on what way to go when the time comes. Or any negative or positive advise on not to neuter him at all.

Thanks !!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 12:44 PM
Elite Member

Arguments for both sides. I won't neuter. Increases the risks of cancers that are harder to treat than testicular cancer or prostate cancer.
People can be responsible enough to prevent procreation. And marking can be corrected.
Just my opinion.

Snitches get stitches.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 01:13 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocco1 View Post
My pup is only 4 months old so no neuter for months. My vet said to wait until over one year or longer for GSD. He stated for health issues testicular cancer and other cancer that is why. He also stated if there are no mounting or marking issues I may not want neuter him at all.

I have always neuter my dogs but never had a GSD. Any advise on what way to go when the time comes. Or any negative or positive advise on not to neuter him at all.

Thanks !!!!!!!
I think waiting is good. But ultimately I think it comes down to lifestyle. Will you need to board him at some point? Will you want another GSD that is female down the road? Will you have people babysitting him while you're traveling and potentially not be as watchful as you? Do friends/relatives have intact females? etc etc If he gets a female pregnant how would you handle it (personally and financially)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 02:47 PM
Crowned Member

An intact male is no big deal. They are not the breeding, escape and attack monsters people often make them out to be. It is actually the neutered males who often start trouble and if an intact male responds, he will always be the one to get blamed; first because he has balls and second, or first, because he is a GSD. I won't neuter males. The excuse of testicular cancer is overrated and IMO used to get people to neuter their dogs. Why remove a crucial body part because it may get sick?
car2ner likes this.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 10:37 PM
Elite Member

At least your vet understands the need of hormones for proper development of a LBP, even though all GSD breeders will recommend to wait to neuter the dog until it's closer to fully developed at 2. I personally wouldn't neuter a male. Train him not to mark everywhere and don't let him mount a female. There's always a vasectomy if your dog isn't always supervised.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

That's pretty much what my vet said. He also said that there is some belief that it will make him more aggressive but no data to prove it. Breeder said 2 years but not to neuter him.

Thanks great info !!!!!!!
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 11:28 PM
Crowned Member

Sounds like you have a really great vet. If s/he will agree to follow a minimal vaccination schedule you have an amazing vet!
squerly likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 11:29 PM
Master Member

Food for thought I personally prefer keeping my animals intact but it depends on your household and how responsible you are about keeping your animals contained. ^_^
https://www.ucdavis.edu/news/early-n...s-study-finds/

Dakonic German Shepherds

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 12:15 AM
Crowned Member

You've gotten great advice. Not unless there is a problem with the reproduction system is my answer. So far, I haven't had a problem with the boys.

As for cancers, testicular cancer is the only one that you can prevent by neutering. If there are no testicles, your dog will not get testicular cancer. Pretty simple. And yet, the other types of cancer: osteosarcoma, hemangiosarcoma, prostate cancer, well they all are more likely if you neuter and the younger it is done the worse it is.
car2ner likes this.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 08:14 AM

Would you forsee issues with an intact and a neutered male living in the same household?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in