Nail grinding question - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Nail grinding question

I just bought a conairpro dog nail grinder. My old grinder (which died) only had sand paper but my new one has 2 grinding stones (15mm and 8mm) and sand paper. What do I use all these tools for? It does not explain in the instructions. Plus the unit has a "protective cover that can be adjusted to fit different nail sizes" but it doesn't explain how to use that either. The instructions show an uncovered grinder being used on a dogs nails.

If you have this specific grinder or just general advice I would appreciate the info.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 05:40 PM
Master Member

Try them out and see what you/your dog likes best. I don't use a cover with mine, I find it tend to get in the way. I've never used a grinding stone. I use to use the paper bands, but upgraded to a diamond grinding wheel that I can use on wet or dry nails. Paper won't hold up with wet nails. When grinding nails it is best to wear a dust mask so you are not breathing in the fine particles of nail and who knows what else, eye protection also isn't a bad idea either since bits of nail or grit can fly off while grinding.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Thank you so much for the advice. Never thought of wearing a mask but that is a good idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 11:06 AM
Elite Member

I don't have specific instructions on how to use that dremel grinder. I have used two. I am liking my normal dremel that plugs in. The battery operated one was weak. This new one has a "pen" like attachment so I don't have to heft the whole unit just the pen. I find that the sandpaper rings work sooooooo much faster than the stones. Paper holds up pretty well for me. I can be done on a 65 lb dog in 2-3 minutes.

I try to do it outside, wear reading glasses, but forgo the mask now. Although I think a mask is a good idea. Lots of treats for my food driven dog.

Karin
Dutch Shepherd - Ptygo (Tee-Go) de las Flores
Rescue GSD - Freyja (Husband's Dog)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page