Seizure meds and flea prevention - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 09:47 AM
Elite Member

Don't bet on it - many people don't understand the life cycle of these beasties, and you can't always count on your vet to explain it to them! They make too much money dispensing the flea medication.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdsar View Post
From what I understand, they don't interact poorly with the seizure Meds, they lower the seizure threshold in some dogs.

I have used the new pills on my seizure dog with no seizures. But it is a concern.

She is in a tough spot.

@gsdsar what flea med are you using with your seizure dog?
@Magwart any thoughts? Since you're local and understand the flea issues we have here during the bad months.

Ghost - our first WGSD, parvo survivor, 9/30/16
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 02:09 PM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsilver View Post
Don't bet on it - many people don't understand the life cycle of these beasties, and you can't always count on your vet to explain it to them! They make too much money dispensing the flea medication.
Ah yes, because we work everyday to make sure you dog is miserable just to sell you medicine. Give me a break.
ksotto333 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegooseman90 View Post
I think most oral flea meds come with some kinda warning about not to use it on dogs with seizures. But I've heard of people using comfortis - which can trigger a seizure too - without any problems. As far as treating the lawns - I'm from Florida and if you don't know it's hot and humid all year long and at one point I may have had 12 dogs in kennels. This is on 40 acres by the way. So needless to say fleas could be a real problem. But the best thing I found for it was permethrin. You can mix it to spray or dip the dogs in and it works great. Mix it stronger and treat the lawn and kennels. Outside of that if your friend is against chemical warfare she could try diatamecous earth - food grade. You can treat anything with it. The dog, lawn, bedding, etc. it's safe and ingestible. I've tried it before for mites in chickens and it worked great for that. Never tried it for fleas because the permethrin worked so well for me.

We live in Southeast Louisiana so like you, completely understand the hot & humid most of the year problem. This is why she wants to see if there's something oral that will be easier for her to give the dog, even if only during the bad flea months here.

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 09:38 PM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalabug View Post
@gsdsar what flea med are you using with your seizure dog?
@Magwart any thoughts? Since you're local and understand the flea issues we have here during the bad months.
Depending on the time of year, she gets different things-usually between Nexguard and Bravecto, and then in the winter cooler months I use topical like Frontline or Revolution.
lalabug likes this.

"So that others may live"

Hannah vom Steffenhaus, BH, Wilderness SAR
Eisenhower v.d Polizei "Ike" Wilderness SAR, CGC
B'Lena z. Treuenhanden
Nixon vom Banach, RATN
Phoster, FEMA USAR(Labrador)
Ch. Pennywise Sticky Wicket(Dandie Dinmont Terrier)
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 10:06 PM
Master Member

Well if the other stuff isn't working it seems like she can only roll the dice with comfortis - vets won't recommend it in dogs with seizures because it lowers the threshold for seizeures - or upgrade her topical treatments. I've heard it both ways with the comfortis and seizure dogs. Some have gotten away with incident and others can't use it. Personally I would just upgrade my topical assault on the fleas rather than risk giving the dog a seizure.
lalabug likes this.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 12:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdsar View Post
Depending on the time of year, she gets different things-usually between Nexguard and Bravecto, and then in the winter cooler months I use topical like Frontline or Revolution.

Thank you. Someone else had suggested Bravecto. I think she now has a laundry list to take to her vet. I guess sometimes trial and error is all you can do.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page