New Here - Looking to weigh pro's and con's for Neuter - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

New Here - Looking to weigh pro's and con's for Neuter

Good afternoon,

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this but, I was wondering if anyone here could give me some information/direction perhaps. I have had my dog for around 3.5 years and he is trained very well; however, despite the fact that he is a rescue, he has not been fixed (read: neutered. He is an intact male). I've gone back and forth about whether or not I should neuter him at this late stage (He's between 4 and 4.5 years old at this point), and I honestly cannot come to a conclusion. I have a vet appointment next week to have the procedure done but am still on the fence. I don't plan to breed him, but he is friendly with most other dogs (apart from other intact males) and has never posed a problem apart from marking by my front door on occasion.

He's an extremely energetic dog, and always has been. Great with people, great with children, he even likes cats. I've had several friends and my former vet say that if I neuter him he will calm down, but he seems to be doing that anyways as he gets older (not that his energy poses any significant problem for me).

Any pro's of having this done?

Any cons?

Thanks,

Undecided Dog Dad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 04:35 PM

My question is why not neuter. There are soo many puppies that need homes. So many in pounds and shelters. Take no chances.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 04:44 PM
The Friendly Neighborhood Witch Mod

This is very much a personal decision with no clear cut "right" answer. A lot of people feel that it's healthier to leave a male intact, unless there is a health concern that would be fixed by neutering. Others feel preventing potential prostate issues makes it worth neutering an adult male. As to the thought that neutering a male prevents unwanted litters... this really depends on each specific owner. If you are the type that does not keep eyes on your dog, and he has the chance to wander and sire a litter, then I would absolutely recommend getting him neutered. If you are a responsible owner, who doesn't let your dog roam the neighborhood, then that particular argument doesn't hold water for me. As for neutering making your dog more calm, I've heard it really won't make a difference. Most issues people think neutering will solve would really be solved by more intensive training. Really, it just comes down to what you personally feel more comfortable with. There are tons of threads about neutering on this board, if you search neuter, you can wade through about a million different opinions on the matter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 04:52 PM
Elite Member

The argument for preventing puppies is grasping at straws. I've come into contact with 0 females in heat.
Pros of intact: lower risk of certain cancers, thyroidism, keep producing proper amounts of hormones, etc
Cons of intact: prostate issues, testicular cancer, higher license fees in certain places, etc
If your dog has issues, neutering does not cure them.
Those are just some. Lots of information on here about neutering vs not.
Know your dog. Train your dog.

Snitches get stitches.

Last edited by cloudpump; 04-05-2017 at 04:54 PM.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 05:02 PM
Master Member

Neutered males are much more prone to weight gain, that's the biggest con to me. Mine calmed down more than I prefer, I would like to see him more enthusiastic than he is sometimes.

Not neutering your dog will not magically result in more puppies, assuming you keep your dog properly contained and communicate with other dog owners to make sure their dog he is coming in contact with is not in heat. I assume you've done well at this so far.

I prefer keeping dogs intact, I don't buy into the whole 'it reduced risk of cancer' when vets say it. Why not cut off tails, ears, noses, legs, remove all teeth etc so they don't get cancer in those body parts? Some medical websites also say it increases the risk of other cancers due to less testosterone in the body.

Pros: Won't chase after females as much, less competitive, male to male interaction will go smoother, can't get a female pregnant if that's a concern.

Cons: Risks obesity (can be solved if you keep an eye on weight), can become lazy, less enthused, and risk of incontinence is increased and for younger dogs it can poorly effect maturity.

There are plenty of insightful websites if you google "pros and cons of neutering".

Here is Dr. Karen Becker's opinion on it: Why I've Had a Change of Heart About Neutering Pets
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 05:08 PM
Banned

GypsyGhost ... pretty much summed it up nicely. I'm not a breeder and I don't plan on having puppies but my next female Boxer ... I won't have fixed.

But having a male dog and a female both unfixed in the same household ... I don't know?? Having two unfixed dogs would be a challenge??? But ... that aside ... I have first hand experiance with a neutered male my first GSD ... making "Zero" difference as regards attitudinal issues.

I only bowed to pressure and had my girl fixed at 4 years ... Boxer thing and I was terrified of Acepromazine ... Boxer thing. But I told the vet "No Ace" on my Boxer and he said ... "Hey no problem." So I had it done, and she was fine. But I only did it becasue I thought that is what responsible dog owners do?? When in fact I had already been doing for years what responsible owners do ... they keep there intact dogs from having puppies.

So I had succumbed to peer pressure as it were ... that ticked me off but Struddell was fine.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 05:22 PM

Our vet and agrees with us that there might be benefits to keeping a male intact. Our boy is not de-sexed and the only issue I have is to make sure his testicles are not injured. He is long haired and I check for ticks and dings and such. He has a cool and calm attitude and we also had an intatct female in the house. When she was in season he was so "in love" there was no training (we were training for IPO at the time).

At 18 months I spay our she-pup. She seemed to become more emotional in season and we missed a couple of public events because they came up while she was in heat. Midway between her 2nd and what would have been her 3rd heat, we had her de-sexed. Our big boy is still intact. He has not attempted to roam and there are no Oops litters.
We had the hips and elbows checked, normal. no issues. We had the DNA tests with Embark. All tests came back clean and healthy. We don't plan on breeding but with his health and his temperament, I think his pups would be fine (depending on the female)

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by car2ner; 04-05-2017 at 05:24 PM.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 05:25 PM
Elite Member

Osteosarcoma, Hemangiosarcoma, Age related cognitive decline, obesity, CCL/ACL tears, bone fractures, increased fear aggression, increased anxiety, poor immune health, increased likely hood of reactions to vaccines, and more allergies are some of the known health effects of neutering dogs.

Prostate health does need to be monitored with intact dogs, it should be checked yearly, but keeping them intact is the way to go IMHO.

Millions of years of evolution have created perfect biological machines. Sex hormones are important to many bodily systems. Tinkering with hormones isn't healthy. Endocrine deficiencies are devastating.

And quite frankly the poor puppies in shelters thing are a moot point. First of all, I will not put another dog's, especially hypothetical ones, health above the health of MY dog. He comes first to me. Second it is stupid easy to prevent unwanted litters with normal responsible dog ownership. And third accidental litters of owned pets are NOT the cause of dog over population, nor are purpose bred litters. The overwhelming vast majority of PUPPIES find homes. The problem is a societal issue of seeing dogs as disposable, people not training their dogs and dumping them when they get too much to handle. Preventing litters does not solve the core issue of dogs in shelters and is sooooooooooo not worth the health ramifications to MY dog.

Last edited by voodoolamb; 04-05-2017 at 05:30 PM.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 05:27 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

ShepherdMix, I've moved your thread from General Info to Basic Care in Health & Wellness. You'll find lots of other threads on the same topic in this area.
ShepherdMix likes this.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 05:35 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoolamb View Post
Osteosarcoma, Hemangiosarcoma, Age related cognitive decline, obesity, CCL/ACL tears, bone fractures, increased fear aggression, increased anxiety, poor immune health, increased likely hood of reactions to vaccines, and more allergies are some of the known health effects of neutering dogs.

Prostate health does need to be monitored with intact dogs, it should be checked yearly, but keeping them intact is the way to go IMHO.

Millions of years of evolution have created perfect biological machines. Sex hormones are important to many bodily systems. Tinkering with hormones isn't healthy. Endocrine deficiencies are devastating.

And quite frankly the poor puppies in shelters thing are a moot point. First of all, I will not put another dog's, especially hypothetical ones, health above the health of MY dog. He comes first to me. Second it is stupid easy to prevent unwanted litters with normal responsible dog ownership. And third accidental litters of owned pets are NOT the cause of dog over population, nor are purpose bred litters. The overwhelming vast majority of PUPPIES find homes. The problem is a societal issue of seeing dogs as disposable, people not training their dogs and dumping them when they get too much to handle. Preventing litters does not solve the core issue of dogs in shelters and is sooooooooooo not worth the health ramifications to MY dog.
You need to write a book.

Snitches get stitches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page