Jumping for Frisbee - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ausdland

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Cool Jumping for Frisbee

I have a 2 Year old that has an absolute obsession in chasing and jumping for freebees. He is the 5th Shepherd my wife and I have owned over the length of our 42 year marriage. We recently retired and now have the time to devote to this guy that we were not able to with the others, and consequently work him hard about 5 days a week. One of the activities is throwing the Frisbee. I would never have guessed that a dog weighing 90 lbs could jump that high. It is a beautiful thing to watch, but we are worried about him doing damage to his hips, or god forbid, breaking something. We would appreciate any thoughts on this from folks with similar concerns.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 11:49 AM
Crowned Member

Every injury Crank has ever had was frisbee related. He's sliced paws open and sprained a tail back flipping and landing on his back and rolling making a catch. You just have to be careful but an injury will happen at some point.

I tend to make them fetch up a slight to moderate incline because it takes away a lot of the impact and it tends to slow them down a bit. Mistakes and accidents still happen sometimes but I keep doing it anyway because the dog loves it.

You will walk when it is time to walk
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 12:07 PM
Elite Member

Bad idea, very hard on joints. I try to avoid jumping as much as possible and even made a ramp for my pup to use getting in and out of the back of my truck. She's only 63 lbs btw.
wolfy dog likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 12:19 PM
Crowned Member

I would play Frisbee with Jack Russel sized dogs but never with a GSD. Or throw them low only so he doesn't have to jump.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 04:29 PM
Knighted Member

I always played frisbee with my Mayzie. She was a lean 70lbs and we played up until the day before she died suddenly at 11 years old (from cancer, hemangiosarcoma). No injuries and I tried to avoid making her jump and gave her easy throws when she was older. She loved it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page