Prostate issues and early neutering - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 20Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Prostate issues and early neutering

It is completely your choice what to do with your dog, you should not sell your dog if you feel attached. There's an ethics issue with selling a dog whose hips are not healthy, too, I don't know why the trainer would suggest it.

Despite being supportive of rescuing dogs as appose to buying, I am NOT supportive of S/N to 'prevent breeding'. You prevent breeding by keeping females in season contained. I had my dog neutered because he had a prostate issue due to not being able to breed, but smelling females in season, and I was not willing to 'release' him (I was 15, didn't seem like an option to me.)

It sounds like there are ways around that law, as people above stated, but it's an issue you will face with every dog you get. I would move, personally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 12:18 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracovich View Post
I had my dog neutered because he had a prostate issue due to not being able to breed, but smelling females in season, and I was not willing to 'release' him (I was 15, didn't seem like an option to me.)
Prostate issues are not caused by smelling females in heat and not being able to breed.

It's thought to be a normal condition of male aging across numerous species. Most likely due to the changes in sex hormones.

It is incredibly common.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 12:23 PM
Elite Member

I once had a Russian Wolfhound who was picked up by the pound and they would not give him back unless I had him neutered. This was a dog so soft and shy he needed every bit of testosterone he could possibly make. So I got an idea and went to my vet who agreed to give Ivan Putski a vasectomy. He sighed the paper that the dog had been 'sterilized'.

Hers what 'lawmakers' politicians and elected officials do- they sit up there and pass laws whittling away at out freedom every day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoolamb View Post
Prostate issues are not caused by smelling females in heat and not being able to breed.

It's thought to be a normal condition of male aging across numerous species. Most likely due to the changes in sex hormones.

It is incredibly common.
He was 11 months old, I'm just stating what the vet said. The cause of prostate issues in such young males is often due to not being released.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 01:19 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
He was 11 months old, I'm just stating what the vet said. The cause of prostate issues in such young males is often due to not being released.
Bless your heart.

You didn't mention what kind of prostate issues your dog was having.

Benign Prostate Hyperplasia? Prostatitis? Prostatomegaly? Prostatic Abscess? Prostate Cancer?

Those pretty much cover all the prostate issues, and none of them are caused by a lack of "release".

Male dogs constantly secrete prostatic fluid. Actually quite a large amount of it (Urine isn't the only thing that comes out when they lift their leg) - Regardless of breeding status. Healthy dogs are quite good at releasing prostatic fluid through means other than ejaculation. Sperm are reabsorbed by the body. Basic canine anatomy.

I did see in another thread you were having weight issues with your dog? Now that CAN be the cause of prostate issues.

Insulin growth factor can cause the prostate to enlarge. Obesity is an inflammatory condition that effects the whole body including the prostate. Also exercise, or I should say the lack there of, has shown a relationship with prostate issues as well. Too little exercise and that thing balloons up.

Last edited by voodoolamb; 03-22-2017 at 01:22 PM. Reason: oops. tripped the censor lol
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Bless your heart.

You didn't mention what kind of prostate issues your dog was having.

Benign Prostate Hyperplasia? Prostatitis? Prostatomegaly? Prostatic Abscess? Prostate Cancer?

Those pretty much cover all the prostate issues, and none of them are caused by a lack of "release".

Male dogs constantly secrete prostatic fluid. Actually quite a large amount of it (Urine isn't the only thing that comes out when they lift their leg) - Regardless of breeding status. Healthy dogs are quite good at releasing prostatic fluid through means other than ejaculation. Sperm are reabsorbed by the body. Basic canine anatomy.

I did see in another thread you were having weight issues with your dog? Now that CAN be the cause of prostate issues.

Insulin growth factor can cause the prostate to enlarge. Obesity is an inflammatory condition that effects the whole body including the prostate. Also exercise, or I should say the lack there of, has shown a relationship with prostate issues as well. Too little exercise and that thing balloons up.
It was 5 years ago and I no longer have those medical records, new vet. But he did not have weight issues until 2-3 years old, after being neutered and after his prostate issue. Vet told me the only cause for an 11 month old dog to have this issue was because of testosterone levels when around females in season (our neighbors bred dogs).
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 01:35 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
It was 5 years ago and I no longer have those medical records, new vet. But he did not have weight issues until 2-3 years old, after being neutered and after his prostate issue. Vet told me the only cause for an 11 month old dog to have this issue was because of testosterone levels when around females in season (our neighbors bred dogs).
Well good thing you have a new vet. Your old one was definitely a quack! LMAO

Perhaps your dog has a slight genetic deviation that effects the way his body produces insulin. That is a much more likely cause of the prostate issues and perhaps even why he ended up packing on the pounds. That is much more likely than prostate issues from smelling females in heat.

Hundreds of thousands of intact males are kept near intact females. If doing so actually led to prostate issues - we would know it.

It doesn't.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Supposedly nearly every male dog has a prostate incident at some point in their life, some go by unnoticed, but my dog's penis was not retracting all the way, dripping blood and producing excess smegma.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 01:47 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Supposedly nearly every male dog has a prostate incident at some point in their life, some go by unnoticed, but my dog's penis was not retracting all the way, dripping blood and producing excess smegma.
That sounds like an infection. Prostatitis. It is most often caused by bacteria that enters the prostate gland via the urethra. It can also by viral or fungal in nature though.

Microorganisms being the cause. Not hormonal in nature. Not from a lack of release.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
That sounds like an infection. Prostatitis. It is most often caused by bacteria that enters the prostate gland via the urethra. It can also by viral or fungal in nature though.

Microorganisms being the cause. Not hormonal in nature. Not from a lack of release.
Cool
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page